2016 CX-5 Japan Model

In Japan and some other countries they tax cars differently based on their size and/or displacement. The CX-5 is such that its bottom line cost competes with more luxurious vehicles and so they add some features. It's a big vehicle for Japan.

Taiwan CX-5.

My personal opinion... I think the problem is, in America, the car is being sold cheaper than elsewhere, so they normally strip out some of the equipments that is offered in other markets. This is how most of the cars are in America, many options from Asia, Europe, etc. isn't available on American cars, mainly due to cost I think.

Taiwan CX-5.

My personal opinion... I think the problem is, in America, the car is being sold cheaper than elsewhere, so they normally strip out some of the equipments that is offered in other markets. This is how most of the cars are in America, many options from Asia, Europe, etc. isn't available on American cars, mainly due to cost I think.

You are right. In comparison to the European market, cars in the US are incredibly inexpensive however you don't get a large number of features that drivers over here expect as standard unless you climb aboard the options list in a big way.

The other side of the coin is that US-produced cars tend not to sell very well in Europe because of a perceived lack of quality in materials, fit and finish and driving experience. And all that is probably because they are manufactured down to a price that is competitive in the US market.

I just ordered a 2016 CX-5 AWD GT with Tech Package the other day - Trading in a 2013 AWD CX-9 with Tech Package. I pick the 5 up next week.

Wanted a smaller CX.

I would gladly have paid a reasonable sum more for:

1: Power Passenger Seat (at least 4 way)
2: Power Lift Gate (will miss this from the 9)
3: Power Folding Mirrors that Saved their position with the Seat Memory (My CX-9 does this.) Makes it very convenient for my wife and I. She is considerably smaller than I am and when she takes the car it automatically adjusts the seat and the mirrors to her settings which are tied to her key. When I get back in goes right back to my settings. She drives a 2015 Mazda 6 GT with the Tech Package and her mirrors do not do this, we always are adjusting them. May seem like a nit pick but when you get used to the convenience it is hard to go back.

Last edited:
I just ordered a 2016 CX-5 AWD GT with Tech Package the other day - Trading in a 2013 AWD CX-9 with Tech Package. I pick the 5 up next week.

Wanted a smaller CX.

1: Power Driver Seat (at least 4 way)
3: Power Folding Mirrors that Saved their position with the Seat Memory (My CX-9 does this.) Makes it very convenient for my wife and I. She is considerably smaller than I am and when she takes the car it automatically adjusts the seat and the mirrors to her settings which are tied to her key. When I get back in goes right back to my settings. She drives a 2015 Mazda 6 GT with the Tech Package and her mirrors do not do this, we always are adjusting them. May seem like a nit pick but when you get used to the convenience it is hard to go back.
i have a 2016 Cx5 GT AWD - it has #1 (Power Driver Seat).

2015 CX-5 Japanese Model in Taiwan

Wanted a smaller CX.
1: Power Passenger Seat (at least 4 way)
The video is produced in Taiwan for imported 2015 Mazda CX-5 and the guy is speaking Mandarin. As imported cars with duty and tax are at much higher price in Taiwan, the importer has to add as many options as possible to compete with other imports and to satisfy the customers who are willing to pay more. Power folding outside mirrors are a must there as the parking space is scarce and tight with too many cars around. You'd better fold your outside mirrors if you can find a parking space and park your car.

I agree with you, I'm willing to pay more to get a "true" memory seat like other high-end cars which saves not only the driver seat position, but also all mirror and steering wheel positions!

I've got power folding mirrors but I wish I had a sunroof.

Same here. But there's already a sunroof CX-5 model (2.5L), unless yours is the 2.0L. If it's the small sunroof, I'd rather not have it.

I'd like, instead, to have the huge sunroof the size like the Tiguan/Forester.

Back