Help please--need to lock fob inside car while surfing/swimming

sunjunkie

:
Mazda CX5 Touring
Newbie here so please be gentle...I have a 2015 CX5 Touring with advanced keyless entry. I surf/swim and need to be able to lock the fob inside the truck since I can't get it wet and don't want to risk hiding it outside the car. Dealer told me I could lock it inside and get a door key made, but Mazda tech told me if I leave fob in car, it will continually try to connect to the engine and battery will run out fast. I've tried hiding the fob in the cargo area by the spare tire (more than three feet away from start button) but it is still detected. This is a problem. Anyone have a solution? Thanks.

My 2013 key fob (not advanced entry) has a pop-out key. Yours doesn't have that?
Unless you're away from the car for many many hours, I can't imagine that there is enough draw on the car battery to really make any difference. Or are you referring to the battery in the fob?

I have a spare fob wrapped in aluminum foil in with my spare and a door key magnetized on the car. I ran a test with the fob wrapped in foil just outside the door and it was unrecognizable to my car.

You could hide your fob in a coffee can hidden in the sand each tI'm yout go surfing. Though, that guy with metal detector might find it while your paddling out.

Last edited:
Bopper, I found your post about this on another thread right after I posted this question--thanks! I'm concerned about the tin foil doing damage to the fob though. And that guy with the metal detector is not as big a problem as the guys with binoculars who watch the surfers hide their keys and then clean out their cars. (shady)

Maybe install a hitch so you can use a HitchSafe?

img2.jpg

pic1.jpg

My 2014 CX5 touring has a door open key in the FOB. Remove it and take it with you. I see now issues with leaving the FOB in the vehicle. ed

Take the battery out of the fob you use when surfing? It should still work to start the car if you place it near the ignition button when starting, and you'll have a spare battery when your other fob battery dies.

I gave it up with the smart key in my 4Runner. The car senses the key when you walk up to it, so stashing the key on the car doesn't fly. Plus it's an electronic smart key so you can't put it in your wetsuit either.
I just bury it in a bush or something on my way down to the surf.

I feel ya though. Kinda sketchy. I always make sure no ones watching, but still...

Like I said above, the RF-Shielded key pouches work great. Get a simple key cut to get into the vehicle and then you don't even need to bother taking out the one in the fob.

I bought a simple key to fit Mazda cars on ebay and had it cut at a local locksmith. I keep it in my wallet.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I bought a fob on ebay as well and had the car programmed to accept all three fobs at my local dealer ($40.00). I now have a spare fob to keep wrapped in foil in the car. You could keep the simple key with you when you enjoy the ocean.

I put my #2 fob in a double vacuum seal with the extra top area sealed out with a grommet for the sting inside my wetsuit or boardies. So far, so good and been doing this for over a year now.

FYI that with both my 2006 Miata and then my 2010 Mazda6, I would pull the manual key out of the Advanced Smart Keyless fob and leave the fob (out of sight) inside the car after locking it with the manual key many, many times. This was primarily when I didn't want the extra bulk of the full key ring/fob in my pocket. Never had any problems, and never noticed that the car or fob battery seemed to run down quickly (I think I replaced the fob battery once in the ~4-5 years I owed each car). I continue to use this same approach in my CX-5 and haven't had any issues yet. The dealer is correct that the car will "reach out" and recognize the fob repeatedly, but I think the actual drain on either battery is minuscule...

Back