Added $800 lift kit to my Mazda5

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
Well at 30K, I swapped my original wheels/tires for my MS3 wheels with Hankook Ventus tires on it. (previous pics)
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-and-30K-bday-PRESENT-FOR-FREE!!!!&highlight=

Car just turned 45K now.

Needed new set of tires, and given the roadtrips we do it, wanted to go with more all season grand touring. Didn't need the handling of my Elise, but needed more of a cushy ride that my Lexus hybrid has.

Upsized the tires from 225/40/18 to 225/45/18

Mopho (member here) was my build inspiration. I even rode in his car and bought the lowering springs. But it will be a no go with how the wife drives. So going to return the springs

So figured some meatier tires.

So far handles great, rides great, and suits our current needs.

Car is higher by 0.9 inches, and we are happy with it.

Michelin Primacy MXM4

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 2,410
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 2,248
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,166
Had 6 people in it, for a 200 mile roundtrip, absolutely no rub.

With 4 people no rub in daily driving.

Put 550 miles since installation.

Thus the "lift" in title :)

Cool. Maybe I'll go taller on the next set of tires- but 225/50-17 is hard to find in a decent tire.

And good lift. Even though it's really only half an inch with the one inch tire gain. ;)

Cool. Maybe I'll go taller on the next set of tires- but 225/50-17 is hard to find in a decent tire.

And good lift. Even though it's really only half an inch with the one inch tire gain. ;)

For us having the Hankook for 30-45K miles, it was very sticky and car handled great. However, noise was too much.

We have Michelin Pilot and Premacy on two other cars in the garage that we put combined 75K miles on an have been extremely happy with how quiet and comfy they have been.

Given the way we use the 5, I decide to spend the $300 or so more on this set, than other tires, due to how eerily quiet an luxury of a ride it provides with very little it gives up in handing in our application.

Plus with 500 rating tire, the tread will far outlive the car's tenure in our garage, which is about 3 more years, then we don't need mommy vans anymore with child seats

For us having the Hankook for 30-45K miles, it was very sticky and car handled great. However, noise was too much.

We have Michelin Pilot and Premacy on two other cars in the garage that we put combined 75K miles on an have been extremely happy with how quiet and comfy they have been.

Given the way we use the 5, I decide to spend the $300 or so more on this set, than other tires, due to how eerily quiet an luxury of a ride it provides with very little it gives up in handing in our application.

Plus with 500 rating tire, the tread will far outlive the car's tenure in our garage, which is about 3 more years, then we don't need mommy vans anymore with child seats

I go for sticky over all else on tires- noise and treadwear usually come in towards the bottom of the tire priority list. Michelin does make some nice tires- I just can't bear to pay the price. I looked at 225/50-17 tires earlier today. It looks like the selection is a LOT better in that size than it used to be a few years ago. I might follow you to that size since it fits better on a 17x7 than a 235/45 tire does.

Like you handling is most important to me

However having other cars and toys I felt we were compromising comfort on our 5

This went with quiet and smooth over handling this time around

I go for sticky over all else on tires- noise and treadwear usually come in towards the bottom of the tire priority list. Michelin does make some nice tires- I just can't bear to pay the price. I looked at 225/50-17 tires earlier today. It looks like the selection is a LOT better in that size than it used to be a few years ago. I might follow you to that size since it fits better on a 17x7 than a 235/45 tire does.
I actually just went smaller just this week. I finally had enough of the rubbing with my 225/45-18 and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to the stock 215/45-18 that my MS3 wheels came with or the recommended 225/40-18. So I bought a set of "affordable" tires to try out the size and I'm really happy with the overall look, feel and most importantly no more rubbing whatsoever. I bought a set of Milestar tires off Discount Tire Direct in size 225/40-18, however, now after looking at the picture of your MZ5 with the 17" Miata wheels with those nice meaty looking tires, I'm so tempted to see who wants to trade with me. Hmmm...I guess if don't trade them or can't find someone who wants to trade, then next time I replace my tires I can spend a little more on a better tire on that same size I just got since I know they fit and look perfect.

Last edited:
^^^

That is hilarious . My whole idea of going 225/45 was inspired by your pics back in the day

However I have 0 rubbing with the setup

Not sure why you're rubs

Sorry to hear that

^^^

That is hilarious . My whole idea of going 225/45 was inspired by your pics back in the day

However I have 0 rubbing with the setup

Not sure why you're rubs

Sorry to hear that

One reason why they probably rubbed. Michelin vs China special. I'm sure the tire measurements on the tire I had were not as precise as your premium Michelins. Don't forget I'm lowered on H&Rs too.

Ah yes about the lowering

You weren't lowered initially were you when you put he tires on ? Did it rub at stock height

Either way I hope you get it sorted

Your 5 looks great and you are a great asset to the community

Like you handling is most important to me

However having other cars and toys I felt we were compromising comfort on our 5

This went with quiet and smooth over handling this time around

Gotcha. I honestly didn't lose any quiet with the new setup- either that or tire noise doesn't really bother me when it's good tire.

Well the Michelin are exactly 45,000 miles old and will need new tires soon

Debating sticking with 225/45/18

Or dropping down to lighter 225/40/18 or even a 215/45/18

How did this affect your MPG's? I need some new tires, and I'm also hoping to find something that gives me some more ground clearance...

Back