I Hate My CX-5

What is so bad bout the Durango? My wife likes the newer style ones with the V6. We haven't test drove a highlander or sequoia yet but my wife isn't to fond of the body style of those. My wife likes the fuel mileage of the v6 drango and the ecoboost explorer

It's a Chrysler. 'Nuff said.

As to the Ecoboost stuff, I have heard from people who work at Ford dealers that it isn't all a bed of roses. Buyer beware, IMO.

I'm 6ft but long in the body and a bit shorter in the legs, plus my kids don't need a car (baby) seat so cx5 works for me. My wife is 5 6ish and when I drive her car I only need to move the set back one notch so all is good, but I have to ask did you check out sitting behind each other or with a baby seat? In the uk cx-5 is one of the bigger cars in its class.

As to the Ecoboost stuff, I have heard from people who work at Ford dealers that it isn't all a bed of roses. Buyer beware, IMO.
Eh. I actually think, once a few gremlins were resolved, especially on the longitudinal variation, the 3.5l EB is a good engine. Much better than the rest of the vehicle built around it. In fact, it has been the best of all of their EB fleet of engines.

Explorer Sport is a nice ride. But it's a rad overpriced.

Couple thoughts - I wish the 2.5L came in a manual and AWD. I briefly considered the 2.0L myself, just because almost all of my previous cars have been manuals. I have a 14 MX5 Club that's a manual to get my manual fix when I need it, but I live in MI and that's not practical in the winter, so I've been bombing around in an 09 CRV for the past couple years. Honda gave up on the manual CRV for the US market back in 06 (which SUCKS - my previous CRV was an 00 manual and I loved it), so going from an auto CRV that was under-powered to my auto 16 CX5 that isn't underpowered (for what it is, IMO) wasn't too big of a shock. Still, I wish it was available in a manual. From what I've been reading in this thread, it sounds like I made the right choice. My old manual CRV was fun, but it was also dog slow. I don't miss that.

Second thought - I also own a Grom. How do you like the Grom? It seems like if you hate the 2.0 CX5 because it's underpowered, which sounds like it took you a couple of months to realize, that your honeymoon phase with the Grom will be short-lived as well. I haven't even put 1200 miles on mine and someone is coming to look at it tomorrow. I can't stand the slowness anymore, and I even have a 164cc Kitako kit on mine.

OOH - Forgot to comment on the Chryslers.

Dude in my office has a newer Durango (few years old). Holy s is that thing a pile. It's one of those interiors that photographs well, and probably looked ok when it was new, but now it's literally falling apart. The little pieces of plastic that snap behind the door levers inside to hide the screws that hold the door panels to the door (common in almost every modern car) are missing on 3 of the 4 doors. They randomly fell out. Vents on the ceiling are nice for rear seat passengers, but half of his are broken. Mechanically it always has weird, random issues that need to be fixed. He says that he'll never own another one.

Another guy that used to work here had a '12 Grand Cherokee, similar stuff.

There's a reason that Chrysler has been bought and sold like 5 times in the past 8 years. First American, then German, then Canadian, now Italian. Nobody wants them.

Last edited:
my 2.0 FWD AT is turning 2 years in 6 days!!! I still love driving it.

Eh, that's not enough to really say much. Just points out that you dislike Chrysler products.

In all honesty I don't feel the trans will hold up in the long haul in the CX-5. the car is already noticeably louder engine and road noise wise then it was new. The trans shift points are all out of whack and seems to have this random hard shift that the dealership can't replicate. Which means the trans will take a dump right after the 36k warranty is up. So what will more than likely happen is my 2015 cx-5 will need a trans by 2016(26k on it currently). The transmission quality is crap compared to the protg and Mazda 6 I used to own.

my 2.0 FWD AT is turning 2 years in 6 days!!! I still love driving it.
That's god to hear. I keep hearing how the 2.0 is under powered and the one I had as a loaner for a week did feel under powered on the highway but that was the only time.

Couple thoughts - I wish the 2.5L came in a manual and AWD. I briefly considered the 2.0L myself, just because almost all of my previous cars have been manuals. I have a 14 MX5 Club that's a manual to get my manual fix when I need it, but I live in MI and that's not practical in the winter, so I've been bombing around in an 09 CRV for the past couple years. Honda gave up on the manual CRV for the US market back in 06 (which SUCKS - my previous CRV was an 00 manual and I loved it), so going from an auto CRV that was under-powered to my auto 16 CX5 that isn't underpowered (for what it is, IMO) wasn't too big of a shock. Still, I wish it was available in a manual. From what I've been reading in this thread, it sounds like I made the right choice. My old manual CRV was fun, but it was also dog slow. I don't miss that.

Second thought - I also own a Grom. How do you like the Grom? It seems like if you hate the 2.0 CX5 because it's underpowered, which sounds like it took you a couple of months to realize, that your honeymoon phase with the Grom will be short-lived as well. I haven't even put 1200 miles on mine and someone is coming to look at it tomorrow. I can't stand the slowness anymore, and I even have a 164cc Kitako kit on mine.

OOH - Forgot to comment on the Chryslers.

Dude in my office has a newer Durango (few years old). Holy s is that thing a pile. It's one of those interiors that photographs well, and probably looked ok when it was new, but now it's literally falling apart. The little pieces of plastic that snap behind the door levers inside to hide the screws that hold the door panels to the door (common in almost every modern car) are missing on 3 of the 4 doors. They randomly fell out. Vents on the ceiling are nice for rear seat passengers, but half of his are broken. Mechanically it always has weird, random issues that need to be fixed. He says that he'll never own another one.
Another guy that used to work here had a '12 Grand Cherokee, similar stuff.

There's a reason that Chrysler has been bought and sold like 5 times in the past 8 years. First American, then German, then Canadian, now Italian. Nobody wants them.

My CX-5 has been in the "shop" if you will for a total of 12 times in the past year for random issues. defrost not staying on defrost, tpms sensors, power seat issues, proxy sensers, key lost programming some how, random hard shifts etc etc.. which is another reason why im not overly thrilled with it. this is the first mazda I've owned since new and its been the most problematic mazda I've ever owned. now that statement isn't including my speed protg. All the issues I've had with that were caused by myself.

Power wise I like the 2.5l and I might be happier with it if it was a stick shift but I had to get an auto so my wife could drive it as well.

I'm 6ft but long in the body and a bit shorter in the legs, plus my kids don't need a car (baby) seat so cx5 works for me. My wife is 5 6ish and when I drive her car I only need to move the set back one notch so all is good, but I have to ask did you check out sitting behind each other or with a baby seat? In the uk cx-5 is one of the bigger cars in its class.

I did and at first it was cool when my little man was in a preemie car seat that didn't take up much room. Once he outgrew that is when we started having space issues. We literally test fitted 20+ car seats till we found one we liked and that was small enough at baby's-r-us.

Back