Low fuel light chime / ding

adgjqetuo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
Look, first and foremost, I don't need a lecture that it should never get that low. I know it's not good and I know it's unhealthy for the fuel pump because it sits in the tank and gas acts as the coolant. I get it.

I just want to know if anyone is aware if it's possible to enable these audible alerts when they come across, my wife is awful at paying attention to the dashboard lights unless it's beeping at her.

You should try that alert that keeps the car from moving until the tank is refilled. I hear using that alert a few times works wonders.

Not to be a dick, but she should not rely on beeping alerts and focus on the fact that she's driving a 3,300lbs vehicle and pay attention to her dashboard lights. I don't know how anyone can not look at them? What does she do when she's idle and stopped at a light or turning the car on?

In my 2014 Touring (non tech pkg), I have not heard a low fuel chime or seen anything in the menus that enable this type of feature. I didn't even know cars even chimed for low fuel.

Yeah, I didn't see it anywhere in the settings either. It's prob a good thing because it will (hopefully) teach her to pay better attention to the dash. To be honest, this is the first car we've owned that didn't have an audible alert for dash lights.

All of my previous cars made a noise and more recently also displayed on the LED screen near the gauges...Oh well.

Not to be a dick, but she should not rely on beeping alerts and focus on the fact that she's driving a 3,300lbs vehicle and pay attention to her dashboard lights. I don't know how anyone can not look at them? What does she do when she's idle and stopped at a light or turning the car on?

This.

Rarely have I experienced cars with low fuel chimes.

There is a fuel gauge showing empty, a range showing zero miles, a yellow fuel low symbol and a red warning triangle! If that's not enough, hide the keys.

Perhaps it's just German derived cars as I've owned a Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon and the chime/beep when fuel is low makes you jump. Can't recall a low fuel beep for Renault, Citroen or Fiat cars I've owned.

JonnoT

My friend owns a '99 Jeep Cherokee and it does have loud, jarring noise when the gas reaches low, but that's the only vehicle I've experienced with something like that. Otherwise I don't think it's necessary and it's up to you as a driver to pay attention to your car and what it needs.

There is a fuel gauge showing empty, a range showing zero miles, a yellow fuel low symbol and a red warning triangle! If that's not enough, hide the keys.

red warning triangle? is that europe only? is it on US version? whend does it come on?

I didn't even know cars even chimed for low fuel.

The MINI Countryman I traded off for my CX-5 had alerts and bright lights to let you know you were low on fuel. Once you got really low, the warning symbol took over your center display until you filled up. It was very annoying but, it was damn near impossible to not know you were low on fuel in that car!

Normally your speed is shown where the gas pump symbol is until you reach critically low fuel...

IMAG1179.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone can run out of fuel, its not just a woman thing either, I found the fuel gauge down to 3 bars this week which caught me out, usually the wife keeps it topped up when she does the shopping.

It was her who reminded me to check the fuel otherwise I would have got an alert of some kind, the UK sport appears to have alerts for everything, audible or visual in plain English

Anyone can run out of fuel, its not just a woman thing either, I found the fuel gauge down to 3 bars this week which caught me out, usually the wife keeps it topped up when she does the shopping.

It was her who reminded me to check the fuel otherwise I would have got an alert of some kind, the UK sport appears to have alerts for everything, audible or visual in plain English

No one is arguing or belittling women (because I am myself) about this issue, but looking into audible alerts specifically for fuel being low is incredibly irresponsible, IMO. I don't understand how you don't pay attention to something as dire as your gas gauge. I can see it happening once or twice as mistakes, but OP makes it sound like it's a constant issue, which is obviously not good.

My 2 cents: gasoline draws moisture, and the more empty your tank, the more likely you are to have bad effects of more moisture in your tank. So, as a rule of thumb, I try to never go with less than half a tank of gas. Just one of my pet-peeves...

No one is arguing or belittling women (because I am myself) about this issue, but looking into audible alerts specifically for fuel being low is incredibly irresponsible, IMO. I don't understand how you don't pay attention to something as dire as your gas gauge. I can see it happening once or twice as mistakes, but OP makes it sound like it's a constant issue, which is obviously not good.

Nothing at all wrong with audible alerts. Try flying the pointy end of an airliner-all kinds of alerts including voice. Studies show female voices work best. But I don't see a link to a tone for the low fuel warning.

I don't it's possible for a woman to be a dick. A vag perhaps, but never a dick (lol2) [emoji23]

Prefacing your quote with not to be a dick doesn't exempt you from being one. If you don't have an answer just don't answer or as you put it "don't be a dick". I have the same question and I actually would like a beep/ding for convenience. Mind it I have seen the whole lectures on why it is not good to run it low blah blah blah. For your information, I work on my own cars and my 1998 Mitsubishi Montero had a beep... very convenient and allows people to concentrate on the road and it is none of your business what people do at a stop or red light!

What's up with the hostility here? I have the same question and I work on my own vehicles and have owned older vehicles with that convenience. CONVENIENCE!!!!

It does come across as a belittling women. I am male and I can say that almost everyone has run out of gas at one point or another in their life. Last week as never before, I was in a hurry for a business trip. I left without thinking about fuel since I am always over 1/2 tank... guess what? 1 hour later I look down and I see the orange light in the middle of nowhere? Irresponsible? Yes, but for that thinking take away all the blindside sensors, cruise control, low wiper washer fluid warning... if you don't check that you are irresponsible driver?

Personal growth opportunity. You should be checking gauges every 2 minutes, minimum. Of course, I was taught how to drive by a pilot. It ingrained good habits. Have I run out of fuel before in the half million or so miles I've driven in my short 33 year life? One 3 occasions:

1) Vehicle did not have a functioning gas gauge.
2) Vehicle gas gauge was faulty, and showed 1/6th tank, but cut out and died in a corner.
3) Power at a gas station was out, and the nearest one otherwise was 1/2 hour away. I had not way to predict that.

Last edited:
Back