Best Off-Road/Mud/Snow Tires

Awesome! let me know how they are, the noise, the ride etc. what wheels are you looking at?

aa5b9c449359fd01421eba131d67b16b.jpg
I'm really happy with how the wheel and tire set up turned out. Did a little "off-roading" and it was a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really happy with how the wheel and tire set up turned out. Did a little "off-roading" and it was a breeze.

These really look great!! I am glad they worked out for you!I just have to find the right wheels that I like now.

Have you noticed any significant change in ride quality or gas consumption?

Have you noticed any significant change in ride quality or gas consumption?

The ride actually feels more comfortable. I don't worry about potholes at the slightest. Handling feels more responsive since it has a slightly wider stance and a stiff sidewall. I will test mileage difference on my next fill up.

2b492d8fcb2072dd8a99094dc9afc9aa.jpg

e9a4fb35a1b2e7e9bd7365f225a4d153.jpg

Damn, those tires sure fill the wheel well! Thought about raising the ride height? Where did you get that set up? Brand wheels?

Edit: Look like Motegi MR224 Custom black center/bronze outer??? Funny, the Motegi site shows they do not fit????

Last edited:
Damn, those tires sure fill the wheel well! Thought about raising the ride height? Where did you get that set up? Brand wheels?

I'm looking for a place for a custom lift. Nothing crazy. 1"-2"

Wheels were custom made by Motegi Racing. They are 17x8 30+ 2-piece MR224 forged lip/ cast center. Tires are 245/65/17 WILDPEAK A/T3W. They're 29.5" tall

Finally got BFGoodrich T/A KO2's in LT225-65-R17.
2016-09-07%2017.41.44.jpg
2016-09-07%2017.41.49.jpg
2016-09-07%2017.41.54.jpg
2016-09-07%2017.42.01.jpg

So far, ride is noticably noisier compared to stock Yokohamas. I drive with the radio off, but with the radio on at normal volume it probably isn't too bad for most people that aren't looking for it, but its there.

Cornering is much less crisp. Braking distances are longer and acceleration is slower. Road bumps and potholes are dampened. The car seems to maintain speed better. All these points I attribute to the much heavier tire. I think these are 37bs each versus 27lbs each with the Yokos.

Gas mileage seems reduced a couple MPG overall.

I have not tried them off-road yet, but will in early October.

I am pleased with them so far, as the "negatives" are expected given the type of tires these are. I really like the huge knobby treads, and them being 13/32" deep, should last a long time, especially given they're designed for a much heavier car.

In the back of my mind I wonder if this heavier of a tire will cause any appreciable strain on the axels/transmission, but I'm probably just being crazy. Usually it's just 125lb me or my wife driving it, so I'm sure the car is meant to handle a few hundred pounds extra day in and out, and whether its payload or unsprung weight, shouldn't hurt things. At least that's my reasoning.

Cost was $869 mounted, balanced at Mavis Discount Tire in Henrietta, NY.

Last edited:
So far, ride is noticably noisier compared to stock Yokohamas. I drive with the radio off, but with the radio on at normal volume it probably isn't too bad for most people that aren't looking for it, but its there.

Cornering is much less crisp. Braking distances are longer and acceleration is slower. Road bumps and potholes are dampened. The car seems to maintain speed better. All these points I attribute to the much heavier tire. I think these are 37bs each versus 27lbs each with the Yokos.

Gas mileage seems reduced a couple MPG overall.

I have not tried them off-road yet, but will in early October.

I am pleased with them so far, as the "negatives" are expected given the type of tires these are. I really like the huge knobby treads, and them being 13/32" deep, should last a long time, especially given they're designed for a much heavier car.

In the back of my mind I wonder if this heavier of a tire will cause any appreciable strain on the axels/transmission, but I'm probably just being crazy. Usually it's just 125lb me or my wife driving it, so I'm sure the car is meant to handle a few hundred pounds extra day in and out, and whether its payload or unsprung weight, shouldn't hurt things. At least that's my reasoning.

Nice looking tire! As you mentioned though, you went from a 27# tire to a 39# tire. And that weight gain is on the outside, not the center. That kills your acceleration and stopping distance!
Been looking do do something along the lines you did but with a much lighter wheel.

Yes, expect much less life on your brake pads. Time for a rotor/pad upgrade??

Last edited:
Gotta second what Richness said, im lovin my wild peaks. i was averaging 26mpg's with the oem wheels and tires and roof rack. im averaging 25mpgs with the new wheels and tires and roof rack.

28313376404_2f649697ec_c.jpg

29815774200_d651d34f4d_c.jpg

Thanks. They have quieted down some after 1000 miles. Removing and retorquing the wheels seemed to help too. The greasemonkeys at Mavis Tire way over torqued them. They grip very well in the mild mud I've driven through. Hoping to test the better on Sunday.

Gotta second what Richness said, im lovin my wild peaks. i was averaging 26mpg's with the oem wheels and tires and roof rack. im averaging 25mpgs with the new wheels and tires and roof rack.

You have me really interested since MPG hit is so small. Perhaps Mazda needs to market some dirty off-road car commercials like Subaru :)

I'm looking for a place for a custom lift. Nothing crazy. 1"-2"

Wheels were custom made by Motegi Racing. They are 17x8 30+ 2-piece MR224 forged lip/ cast center. Tires are 245/65/17 WILDPEAK A/T3W. They're 29.5" tall

Are these really +30 offset? IF so that would move the outer edge of the wheel 3.15" out away from the hug, plus another 0.5" for the wider wheel.
It doesn't look like those are 3.5"+ farther out. They look more like -30 offset, but I could be wrong....?

You have me really interested since MPG hit is so small. Perhaps Mazda needs to market some dirty off-road car commercials like Subaru :)

well id be happy to help them. ive got few pics like Richness does showing the CX-5 doing some off roady things.

and with the winter blend gas out, im down to around 23.5-24 mpg, heck that's what i used to get in my 05 mazda3, and the cx-5 is bigger, more comfortable and better when i turn off the paved road so i'm not upset buy the hit.

the one thing i will suggest, find a wheel that is under 20 lbs, the tire is definitely heavier so getting a lighter wheel will keep the total weight close to stock, i think that's part of the reason mine isn't such a big hit.

Are these really +30 offset? IF so that would move the outer edge of the wheel 3.15" out away from the hug, plus another 0.5" for the wider wheel.
It doesn't look like those are 3.5"+ farther out. They look more like -30 offset, but I could be wrong....?

this is with a +35 offset, i believe you are getting +/- offset mixed up....
31398808186_74cf29cb38_c.jpg

im running a 17x8 +35 offset
28646291400_988599f520_c.jpg

Last edited:
this is with a +35 offset, i believe you are getting +/- offset mixed up....

im running a 17x8 +35 offset

Yeah I was getting the 2 mixed up. I was thinking negative offset meant the hub mating surface was closer to the outside of the tire when mounted. Oops. Thanks for clarifying.

thejeans, love that graph you posted but I think your info is wrong,,,, the sticky thread about factory wheels states the rims are 7" wide with a offset of 50.

Back