Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best Off-Road/Mud/Snow Tires

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by DCX View Post
    Have you noticed any significant change in ride quality or gas consumption?
    The ride actually feels more comfortable. I don't worry about potholes at the slightest. Handling feels more responsive since it has a slightly wider stance and a stiff sidewall. I will test mileage difference on my next fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

Damn, those tires sure fill the wheel well! Thought about raising the ride height? Where did you get that set up? Brand wheels?

Edit: Look like Motegi MR224 Custom black center/bronze outer??? Funny, the Motegi site shows they do not fit????
    Last edited by davesxx01; 08-05-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    '07 silver MS6
    '13 Golf .:R
    '14 Mazda6 GT
    '16 CX-5 GT

2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring

They really do look awesome! what size are your wheels 17x8 ??

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
    Damn, those tires sure fill the wheel well! Thought about raising the ride height? Where did you get that set up? Brand wheels?
    I'm looking for a place for a custom lift. Nothing crazy. 1"-2"

Wheels were custom made by Motegi Racing. They are 17x8 30+ 2-piece MR224 forged lip/ cast center. Tires are 245/65/17 WILDPEAK A/T3W. They're 29.5" tall

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

Finally got BFGoodrich T/A KO2's in LT225-65-R17.

So far, ride is noticably noisier compared to stock Yokohamas. I drive with the radio off, but with the radio on at normal volume it probably isn't too bad for most people that aren't looking for it, but its there.

Cornering is much less crisp. Braking distances are longer and acceleration is slower. Road bumps and potholes are dampened. The car seems to maintain speed better. All these points I attribute to the much heavier tire. I think these are 37bs each versus 27lbs each with the Yokos.

Gas mileage seems reduced a couple MPG overall.

I have not tried them off-road yet, but will in early October.

I am pleased with them so far, as the "negatives" are expected given the type of tires these are. I really like the huge knobby treads, and them being 13/32" deep, should last a long time, especially given they're designed for a much heavier car.

In the back of my mind I wonder if this heavier of a tire will cause any appreciable strain on the axels/transmission, but I'm probably just being crazy. Usually it's just 125lb me or my wife driving it, so I'm sure the car is meant to handle a few hundred pounds extra day in and out, and whether its payload or unsprung weight, shouldn't hurt things. At least that's my reasoning.

Cost was $869 mounted, balanced at Mavis Discount Tire in Henrietta, NY.
    Last edited by kjh1127; 09-08-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by kjh1127 View Post

So far, ride is noticably noisier compared to stock Yokohamas. I drive with the radio off, but with the radio on at normal volume it probably isn't too bad for most people that aren't looking for it, but its there.

Cornering is much less crisp. Braking distances are longer and acceleration is slower. Road bumps and potholes are dampened. The car seems to maintain speed better. All these points I attribute to the much heavier tire. I think these are 37bs each versus 27lbs each with the Yokos.

Gas mileage seems reduced a couple MPG overall.

I have not tried them off-road yet, but will in early October.

I am pleased with them so far, as the "negatives" are expected given the type of tires these are. I really like the huge knobby treads, and them being 13/32" deep, should last a long time, especially given they're designed for a much heavier car.

In the back of my mind I wonder if this heavier of a tire will cause any appreciable strain on the axels/transmission, but I'm probably just being crazy. Usually it's just 125lb me or my wife driving it, so I'm sure the car is meant to handle a few hundred pounds extra day in and out, and whether its payload or unsprung weight, shouldn't hurt things. At least that's my reasoning.
    Nice looking tire! As you mentioned though, you went from a 27# tire to a 39# tire. And that weight gain is on the outside, not the center. That kills your acceleration and stopping distance!
    Been looking do do something along the lines you did but with a much lighter wheel.

Yes, expect much less life on your brake pads. Time for a rotor/pad upgrade??
    Last edited by davesxx01; 09-08-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2005 Mazda3 2.3

Gotta second what Richness said, im lovin my wild peaks. i was averaging 26mpg's with the oem wheels and tires and roof rack. im averaging 25mpgs with the new wheels and tires and roof rack.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by kjh1127 View Post
    Finally got BFGoodrich T/A KO2's in LT225-65-R17.
    wow. those are some mean looking tires.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

Thanks. They have quieted down some after 1000 miles. Removing and retorquing the wheels seemed to help too. The greasemonkeys at Mavis Tire way over torqued them. They grip very well in the mild mud I've driven through. Hoping to test the better on Sunday.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thejeans View Post
    Gotta second what Richness said, im lovin my wild peaks. i was averaging 26mpg's with the oem wheels and tires and roof rack. im averaging 25mpgs with the new wheels and tires and roof rack.

You have me really interested since MPG hit is so small. Perhaps Mazda needs to market some dirty off-road car commercials like Subaru :-)
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Registered Member

2014 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by richness View Post
    I'm looking for a place for a custom lift. Nothing crazy. 1"-2"

Wheels were custom made by Motegi Racing. They are 17x8 30+ 2-piece MR224 forged lip/ cast center. Tires are 245/65/17 WILDPEAK A/T3W. They're 29.5" tall

Are these really +30 offset? IF so that would move the outer edge of the wheel 3.15" out away from the hug, plus another 0.5" for the wider wheel.
    It doesn't look like those are 3.5"+ farther out. They look more like -30 offset, but I could be wrong....?

2005 Mazda3 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    You have me really interested since MPG hit is so small. Perhaps Mazda needs to market some dirty off-road car commercials like Subaru :-)
    well id be happy to help them. ive got few pics like Richness does showing the CX-5 doing some off roady things.

and with the winter blend gas out, im down to around 23.5-24 mpg, heck that's what i used to get in my 05 mazda3, and the cx-5 is bigger, more comfortable and better when i turn off the paved road so i'm not upset buy the hit.

the one thing i will suggest, find a wheel that is under 20 lbs, the tire is definitely heavier so getting a lighter wheel will keep the total weight close to stock, i think that's part of the reason mine isn't such a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mattoak7 View Post
    Are these really +30 offset? IF so that would move the outer edge of the wheel 3.15" out away from the hug, plus another 0.5" for the wider wheel.
    It doesn't look like those are 3.5"+ farther out. They look more like -30 offset, but I could be wrong....?
    this is with a +35 offset, i believe you are getting +/- offset mixed up....

im running a 17x8 +35 offset
    Last edited by thejeans; 12-05-2016 at 09:04 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by thejeans View Post
    this is with a +35 offset, i believe you are getting +/- offset mixed up....

im running a 17x8 +35 offset

Yeah I was getting the 2 mixed up. I was thinking negative offset meant the hub mating surface was closer to the outside of the tire when mounted. Oops. Thanks for clarifying.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

thejeans, love that graph you posted but I think your info is wrong,,,, the sticky thread about factory wheels states the rims are 7" wide with a offset of 50.

2005 Mazda3 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
    thejeans, love that graph you posted but I think your info is wrong,,,, the sticky thread about factory wheels states the rims are 7" wide with a offset of 50.
    its quite possible, i entered the specs quickly and knew it was "close enough to stock" to give a rough idea of fitment. Here is the website i use to check fitments
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast