Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Off-Road/Mud/Snow Tires

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature; 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by avidballer View Post
    I highly recommend that you go for Goodyear Duratrac Tires.
    Uh... no. No fucking way.

That's a commercial pickup tire. It's made for trucks with solid axles and leaf springs. The closest you'd come to finding a size that would even fit the CX-5 would weigh 41 pounds, would have to be inflated to 40+ psi to meet your load requirement, and ride like total shit. As an added bonus, it's only got an S speed rating.

Stay away. Stay far, far away.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll thank you to kindly see yourself off of my lawn.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    Any update on this one? How well did the chains work out? I'm curious myself if chains are a viable option for a short, muddy, steep section of forest road.
    i bought the chains and tensioners and they look pretty aggressive. im going to try them out in a few weeks when go down to my camp. ill report back when i do.

2016 CX-5AWD GT+Tech/ 2018 CX-9AWD GT

Interesting, my CX-5 came with a Tire Chain Disclaimer that stated "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device. See the owners manual for details" (see image below). I had to sign an acknowledgement that I received this disclosure. I assume if there is any tire chain damage then I'm on the hook for it. Did the '14's not have this?

Last edited by Srad600; 08-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Srad600 View Post
    Interesting, my CX-5 came with a Tire Chain Disclaimer that stated "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device. See the owners manual for details" (see image below). I had to sign an acknowledgement that I received this disclosure. I assume if there is any tire chain damage then I'm on the hook for it. Did the '14's not have this?

Weird. My '14 did not have that. In fact, the user manual even states you can use them (on the front tires).

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries

Interesting... is that a California thing? I never received anything like that.

At least 6 separate pages in owners manual discussing use with warnings & cautions as well

I haven't had to use them but I purchased the following set last year. I've only seen this a few times in the last 15-20 years but ice storms do occur and chains can be required in our mountain passes on all vehicles even with AWD...regardless of snow tires.

http://www.tirechainsupply.com/product108.html
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 2.5L AWD

Do you have 20" rims? I saw some old forum posts that people with 20" rims have tires too wide for chains. Cars with 17 or 18" are fine (not sure about 19")

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Just the stock 19's
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    This diamond pattern was also recommended for the 19"

http://www.tirechainsupply.com/product117.html

Contact email for vendor I purchased from: customerservice@tirechainsupply.com
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2016 CX-5AWD GT+Tech/ 2018 CX-9AWD GT

Not sure if it's a CA thing, this is the first disclaimer of it's type I've ever received. I do have the stock 19" wheels though, so that could play into it.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Nothing conclusive but just a couple hits on Google... this may be a restriction on using old school chains like my latter link and cable chains may be fine.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1.../c4/a1/11713.6

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...2008-a-180067/

Registered Member

2016 cx-5

just got 16x7 rota boost wheel et40 for pretty cheap. weighs 16#

ordered 1 - 245/70r16 General grabber at2 for test fitting - 29.5" diameter

in this link you can that someone has fit bfg ko2s in same size / diameter. overall weight of the mix will be less than OEM 19"
    http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...blog/31407579/

CJ wilson zombie vehicle has fit 235/70r17 tires on theirs which is 29.9" diameter tire.

wanted to share this info to anyone that is interested in offroad / A/T tire options.
    will come back n post my experience after tire gets here and test fitting.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 Sport

I wouldn't use chains for that. You are asking to throw one and totally screw up your vehicle. My Dad taught me always use the right tool for the job. In this case the CX5 is very poor tool choice. I got rid of my Xterra because I didn't need a vehicle that would do that anymore.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by kjh1127 View Post
    I was thinking chains when I saw the BFG tire in your link. Those are great tires and will do what you want but will be heavy and ride, .... "like a rock"! I have a similar situation with a 12% to 15% slope and ruts. In the dry the CX-5 motors right up it. after a rain, ???????????
    '06 MX-5 6MT, Custom Sprung Ohlins, Tomei LSD
    '16.5 CX-5 T AWD w/more Soul
    IBA/COG Desmoquattro for pleasure

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring

I have these: http://falkentire.com/tires/light-tr...dpeak/t3w-tire

Still waiting on wheels to mount them. I have 245/65/17s. 29.5" overall diameter.
    - Rich aka SIGNAL_CX5

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Contrary to the Owner's Manual and created by an independent law firm. Not likely from Mazda, but you signed it. Might it be a CA DoT requirement?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast