2016 A Pillar Trim Removal

:
2020 CX-5
I'd like to hard wire my radar detector into the 2016 GT I just picked up last week. I did read through the earlier thread on hard wiring a detector into an older CX-5, which included a link to a 2012 service manual which had A pillar trim removal instructions. Those instructions called for the cutting of a wire to remove the trim, but I did not see how to reconnect that wire when the trim is installed. Those instructions also called for installing new clips, but if that is required, I'm not sure what clip I need or where to get it.

If I can get the A pillar trim off without breaking anything, it looks like the rest of the job is pretty easy. It looks like there are a couple of empty switched fuse blocks that would be easy to tap into and the fuse box is in a perfect location for a project like this.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd like to hard wire my radar detector into the 2016 GT I just picked up last week. I did read through the earlier thread on hard wiring a detector into an older CX-5, which included a link to a 2012 service manual which had A pillar trim removal instructions. Those instructions called for the cutting of a wire to remove the trim, but I did not see how to reconnect that wire when the trim is installed. Those instructions also called for installing new clips, but if that is required, I'm not sure what clip I need or where to get it.

If I can get the A pillar trim off without breaking anything, it looks like the rest of the job is pretty easy. It looks like there are a couple of empty switched fuse blocks that would be easy to tap into and the fuse box is in a perfect location for a project like this.

Thanks for any advice.

You might be referring to the instructions that I wrote (in my signature). You can order a new clip from you dealers part department or one of the online sources like Jim Ellis Mazda, etc, though that probably isn't worth the cost. What you can do if you don't want to remove the pillar is push the wire behind the pillar trim the same way you feed it into the headliner. If you go slow and use a felt wrapped screw driver it should be pretty easy.

It is safe, to pass the wire between the top part of the A pillar trim and headliner? There is a gap between the two.

It is safe, to pass the wire between the top part of the A pillar trim and headliner? There is a gap between the two.

You need to cross over at the base of the windshield. If you cross the pillar at the top it could interfere with the airbag deployment.

Thanks, Seminole. Using my fingers and some cheap trim removal tools I bought on Amazon, I now have the wires down to the fuse box. I did not remove the pillar trim; I just pried it up a bit with a trim removal tool and pushed the wire in. Local auto parts stores are now closed so I'll see if I can find the right sized fuse tap tomorrow. The fuse block for the unused rear outlet is open as your article promised, so I'll tap in there.

One final tip. The fuse block tap I bought requires a fuse to be inserted in one of the built in fuse holders in order for the tap to pass power to the lead wire. The fuse tap's instructions did not mention that and it was driving me crazy. The tap seemed to seat well in the fuse box, but I was getting no power. I did some testing with the continuity tester of my VOM and discovered this requirement. My radar detector lead has an inline fuse, so I just bridged the fuse holder with a piece of wire, since I did not need any additional fuse protection and didn't want to make another trip to the auto parts store to buy the right size fuse.

I did mine yesterday on my 2015. I was able to remove and then reinstall the nylon connector without cutting it. It was not easy, but doable. You have to twist the connector on the trim side to pop it out, then reverse to reinstall. Good luck!

Back