Overfilled CV Boots?

:
2012 Mazda 5
While installing the fumoto valve today, I noticed that both left and right inner CV boots seem to be leaking. I cleaned them up and checked for cracks and/or tears. I found no damage to the boots but noticed they seem to be leaking from the small clamp area(scratch). Any thoughts? Could the factory have overfilled them? Would this be covered under the powertrain warranty? My 5 has ~46000mi.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6096.JPG
    IMG_6096.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,274
So far local dealership says this is not covered under the powertrain. Quoted me $875 to repair.(mad) Anyone else had experienced this? How much was it to repair?

Absolutely that is covered by warranty - http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=shopWarranty

You can show it to them plainly in your warranty manual too.
  • Front/Rear Drive System
  • Final drive housing and all internally lubricated parts
  • Manual and automatic hub (4X4)
  • Front wheel hubs and bearings (FWD transaxles)
  • Rear axle housing (differential) and all internally lubricated parts
  • Axle/drive shafts
  • Propeller shaft (RWD and AWD only)
  • Universal joints
  • Constant velocity joints
  • Rear axle/hub bearings (RWD and AWD only)
  • Seals and gaskets

That's not what my local Mazda says. They interpret it as the Joint is covered against failure but the boot is not and considered a wear and tear maintenance item. I though it was funny (ok not funny) because my friend that work in the parts dept says they do not even carry the boot as they never need replacing.

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=ownersWarrantyCoveredParts

Parts and Services NOT Covered
  • All items not specifically listed as covered above.
  • Repairs covered by the Mazda New Vehicle Limited Warranty or recalls.
  • Service adjustments and cleaning.
  • Repairs needed to any engine, transmission or final drive components caused by an aftermarket-installed turbocharger/supercharger.
  • Repairs caused by damage or unreasonable use (damage from road hazards, accident, fire or other casualty, misuse, negligence, racing, or failure caused by modifications or parts not authorized by or supplied by Mazda).
  • Damage from the environment (airborne fallout, acts of war, chemicals, tree sap, salt, hail, windstorm, lightning, road hazards, etc.).
  • Damage resulting from lack of required maintenance (failures caused by the owner neglecting to perform the required maintenance services set forth in the maintenance schedule of the Owner Manual for the vehicle). Costs of these routine maintenance services are not covered. Proof of maintenance may be required, which may include inspection of maintenance records.
  • Repairs needed to a covered part caused by the failure of a non-covered part.
  • Repairs to the vehicle if the odometer is altered, broken or repaired/replaced so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
  • To the extent allowed by law, loss of use of vehicle including loss of time, inconvenience, commercial loss, consequential damages and personal expenses such as motels, food, gas and mileage.
  • Vehicles manufactured for sale outside of the 50 United States and Canada.
  • Repairs to the vehicle performed outside of the 50 United States and Canada, and repairs required because of normal operation outside of the 50 United States and Canada.
  • Repairs made on or before the effective date of this Mazda Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty will not be valid if the New Vehicle Limited Warranty has been voided or the vehicle has been totaled or salvaged.
  • Ineligible vehicles include vehicles used by police, taxis, livery, shuttle, commuter, ambulances, tow trucks, branded vehicles, or vehicles equipped with snowplows.

If what they say is correct, and because of the loss of grease the CV joint fails, the non-covered boot voids the warranty for the CV joint.
I would take this straight to MazdaUSA.

Anyone know what type of grease in the in inner joint (tripod Joint)? Does Mazda use a polyurea type? Thinking of just replacing the bands and adding some Amsoil grease to replace what was lost. Only issue is if it is a polyurea type grease it may be incompatible with the Amsoil Calcium complex or Lithium complex greases.

I did contact Mazda USA to try and see if I could get better clarification on the coverage. I used the chat function at http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/contactMazda.action. Here is the transcripts...

Blake: I have a 2012 mazda 5 with about 46000 miles.
Blake: I noticed that my CV boots are leaking. They are broken or torn but seeping from the clamp. I read that the CV joints are covered under the powertrain warranty yet my local mazda said it was not. can you confirm.
Blake: sorry should have been "They are NOT broken, torn or cracked"
Tania: Hi Blake, I can take a look at this for you. Before we get started, I will have a reference number and transcript available at the end of our chat. Would you like to provide your e-mail address?
Blake: sure... b***@***.com
Tania: Thank you. I will just be a moment.
Tania: I show that constant velocity joints are listed under the power train warranty for manufacturer defect or workmanship concerns. Has the vehicle been inspected by a Mazda dealer?
Blake: not yet. Do my own oil change and found it then. I called the dealership and was told that its not a powertrain item. Can you call the dearlership and pass on this information.
Blake: The dealership is Cutter Mazda in Honolulu Hawaii, My service representative was ***** @ 808-***-****.
Tania: The vehicle would still need to be inspected and formally diagnosed by the Mazda dealer. All warranty concerns must be addressed by a dealer.
Blake: I understand. But they seen to think that CV joints are not a covered item. Would be better for them to hear it from Mazda.
Tania: I will be sure to have this documented regarding the dealership and ensure that it is addressed internally.
Blake: Ok. I guess I can forward this transcript and let then take if from there.
Tania: My contact information will also be included in the e-mail should you have any additional questions or concerns.
Tania: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Blake: Nope. Thank you!
Tania: Okay, thank you for contacting Mazda. Have a great rest of your day!

Blake: Hi I have a original reference number of #-######## but I have a few more questions. am I in the right place?
Katrina: Thank you Blake. I can try to assist you further. What is your question.
Blake: I am trying to get better clarification of what is covered under the powertrain warranty.
Blake: under Front/Rear Drive System it lists the Constant velocity joints.
Blake: Does this cover the CV Boots as well? My boots are not torn or cracked but are leaking leading me to think is a warranty issue. What is Mazda official policy?
Blake: They are leaking from the small clamp on both inner boots.
Katrina: Give me just a moment to get more information for you Blake.
Blake: no problem.
Blake: It could be argued that the boot is a seal that seals in the grease for the CV Joint.
Katrina: Thank you for your patience Blake. As previously mentioned the CV joints are listed under that power train warranty however the boots may be part of the Basic. Warranty coverage is determined by a diagnosis performed by the dealership. A dealer will need to determine the specific component that requires repair and determine the cause. Unfortunately I cannot verify at this time if your concern is covered.
Blake: Ok
Katrina: Was there anything else I can help you with?
Blake: no
Katrina: Ok Blake. I will email you the reference for your chat today. Thank you for contacting Mazda. Have a great day.

Another thing to consider is that the car is lowered and I do not know if that would affect the coverage on the boots. Dealership wants $70 just to do the inspection to determine if they may cover it even though they have already verbally denied it.

Anyone have a better contact at MazdaUSA who would be able to clarify the coverage? Or, advice on what action to take next? Need to get this fixed soon.

Thanks!

Well, spend the $70 and at least they will give you the exact cause of the problem.
You have it in writing from Tania that it is covered under warranty. If the issues as you described, they should fix it under it but also not charge $70 as it will be billed to warranty.
I'd be there and be ready to call Mazda if the deny and let the service manager directly talk with Mazda representative.
It is kinda stupid for them to deny as they just bill Mazda for the time and get money back instead of giving you crap.
Remember, the one that bitches the loudest, wins.

This is common and a wear/tear item but that is premature for them to fail, especially for both at the same time. If they refuse warranty you can purchase both axles new for about $100 each and replace them yourself.

I had a related issue in my 2007; I was finding grease splattered on my rims and the mechanic said it was coming from the CV joint just slinging out of the boot (during hard cornering) even though the boot was in good shape. They said there was still enough in the boot not to worry about it and apparently the boot was designed to not be completely enclosed.

ブレイク;6373114 said:
Another thing to consider is that the car is lowered and I do not know if that would affect the coverage on the boots. Dealership wants $70 just to do the inspection to determine if they may cover it even though they have already verbally denied it.

Anyone have a better contact at MazdaUSA who would be able to clarify the coverage? Or, advice on what action to take next? Need to get this fixed soon.

Thanks!

Lowering your car puts the CV joints in an angle that they were not designed for continuously running at. I would guess that Mazda may deny any claims due to this modification. If it is not hard, you may want to put your stock springs back in before going back to the dealer, unless you are using coil-overs - probably too much work. Good luck.

Lowering your car puts the CV joints in an angle that they were not designed for continuously running at. I would guess that Mazda may deny any claims due to this modification. If it is not hard, you may want to put your stock springs back in before going back to the dealer, unless you are using coil-overs - probably too much work. Good luck.

Kinda figured that was going to be the case. Just going to re-strap the boots when I have some time. For the time being, I used some big zipties over the existing straps and it seems to have put enough pressure to stop the seeping. I also found some polyurea based grease designed for inboard tripod joints. I plan to add a little to the boots when I replace the straps.

Having the same problem with a 2014 Mazda5 with 40,000 miles. Boots are intact, as are clamps, but losing grease past clamp. Anyone have any information on this? Is it common?

Back