tire size change

zoomingRDH

:
2011 Mazda cx9 Gt
Nothing sexier than a nice mazda zooming down the road...I want to change tire size from original size of 245/50/20...to a wider tire, a bit more stance with great noise reduction and great mileage. .what would you recommend on my 2011 cx9 gthe awd???

Do you want wider with the same size sidewall or more sidewall?
To keep the same sidewall you will need to go with 265/45-20 or 285/40-20 if either of those sizes are made.
I don't know if either size will reliably fit on the factory wheels though.

Do wider tires have better mileage and lower noise? I would think it is the other way around.

Wider tires will net in worse mileage in almost every scenario.

Noise, that can go many ways. Noise matters more on the quality of the tire and compound of the rubber. Also, sidewall height.

Wider tires will net in worse mileage in almost every scenario.

Noise, that can go many ways. Noise matters more on the quality of the tire and compound of the rubber. Also, sidewall height.

very true. generally the bigger the tire the bigger the rotation. which means going smaller distances with same load. so less mileage. if you really want to up the width of your tire every shop or at least the dealers with have whats called a tire rolling diameter grid. will tell you what size tire to put on with width etc... and stay with in 5 percent of overall rolling diameter. which will get you close to the same mileage. well the best possible. but yes will go down some. as far as noise...buy a good tire and noise will be softer. if you get some mickey Thompson's for you cx9....sound like a semi coming down the highway. if you go with some bridgestone alenza's will actually be pretty quiet. also depends on your model. tier of the veh. if yours is a grand touring your sound damping is great. if lower model...you will have more road noise.

Back