2013 X3 35i, 2013 Q5 or 2016 Mazda Cx5

HI, I'm looking to change my 2013 Mazda Cx5 and I have the choice between these...

The 2013 X3 35i has the M package en every other possible options. It has the extended warranty until 160 000 km...

What do you recommend me?

The 2016 Cx5 would be a brand new car... But it is a mazda...

The audi is interesting, but exterior is ugly!

Thanx

I'd drive whatever feels the best if you keep your vehicles 5 years or less... the Mazda will more than likely have better reliability. I won't touch Audi or BMW since I keep my vehicles for 8+ years and they don't build them like they used to.

Audi makes great cars but their reliability and service costs are extreme. When I was buying my car last year, it was down to an Audi A3 wagon and the CX-5. The Audi was an absolute blast but people I knew who had them told me horror stories about reliability and service costs.

Yeah I wouldn't ever go for a "luxury" brand car again. Had an Infiniti QX4 and when that thing needed service and parts, you paid big time. And now that new modern cars have just about all the same features, definitely would go for the regular brand. Especially with Mazda still going to offer a great driving experience.

We recently test drove all the cars you are looking at but new. 2015 X3 28i, 2015 Audi Q5 2.0T, and 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT. I can tell you that BMW had a sporty feel and felt more planted and stable in the turns then the Q5. My wife and I both thought the interior of the Q5 was lacking, it felt old, like we should be 65 and moving to Florida for retirement. The wood grain trim pieces just don't do it for me, even if they are real wood and not an appliqu over plastic. We liked the rear seats in the Q5 with the slide and recline feature. I don't know when exactly Audi changed their transmissions but the older 6 speed autos didn't get good reviews, saying they were clunky and slow. The newer 8speed autos are much better. The BMW was a very nice drive but you felt it a bit more then the audi. I prefer that type of ride over one that's super plush. To me the CX-5 drove just like the BMW. Now the X3 35i you're looking at is going to much faster then the CX-5 due to the bigger engine so if speed is what your after then go for that one. Just keep in mind that both Audi and BMW's are expensive to repair when something goes wrong. Mechanics should be certified mechanics for either of those makes and because so their labor rates are going to be higher. That's going to be true with any premium brand maintenance. The parts for german cars are also more expensive. My wifes audi needed a new thermostat, $150, 4 hours labor to get to it and change it. My Protege5 needed a thermostat, $30, changed in about 30min in the garage. I get the whole, wanting to drive a premium car, they are premium for a reason just be prepared for the higher costs after purchase that goes with them. And I believe both the BMW and Audi require premium gas 91 octane or higher so your fuel costs will be higher as well.

Thanx.. Still thinking... In Qubec, leasing a cx5 gt for the years is 540$ with taxes... It is expensive for a mazda... Owing a the BMW for 4 years would be 49 000 minus 15 000 residual = 34 000, so 8500$ per year...

IMO... if i just leased cars I probably would not be as objective from a long term ownership perspective. I am sure a BMW, Audi or BMW would more than satisfy my driving needs.... I just would not want to own them past a covered warranty period.

IMO... if i just leased cars I probably would not be as objective from a long term ownership perspective. I am sure a BMW, Audi or BMW would more than satisfy my driving needs.... I just would not want to own them past a covered warranty period.

My mechanic of 18 years has a pretty large shop and works on many brands of cars. I mentioned that I was thinking of getting my wife a used Mini. He said do not get a used German car, only new, and then just for the warranty period. Just out of curiosity I asked him what he thought about Honda & Toyota. He said, if everybody drove them, he'd be out of business. I think Mazda would also fit in as a very reliable car.

Cheers

I have had a CX-5 and own a BMW. To be fair, with any brand of car, if you look online in the 'fora' you'd think every brand is nothing but trouble. I'm the original owner of my BMW E90 and outside of rodents eating fog light cables, I've had no issues whatsoever. They really are ZERO cost for the first 4 years. One of the only brands that has a true"bumper to bumper" warranty. Wiper blades, brake pads, etc.

I'm in-between Mazdas right now since my 2014 met an untimely end. I had an accident at 45 mph, which totaled it out. It's my wifes car and she was adamant about getting the same vehicle. Coincidentally, it's been refreshed so I'm probably more excited than her about trying it out and comparing the differences....if she ever lets me drive it. :p

But back to the original post, IMHO cross shopping an X3 with a CX5 is odd. They're two different classes of CUVs. We considered the X1 as a replacement for my wife's CX-5, as the military sales program here would have been able to deliver it faster, but we just couldn't justify the price increase for even less options.

Last edited:
But back to the original post, IMHO cross shopping an X3 with a CX5 is odd. They're two different classes of CUVs. We considered the X1 as a replacement for my wife's CX-5, as the military sales program here would have been able to deliver it faster, but we just couldn't justify the price increase for even less options.

I cross shopped the CX-5 with the X3, Tiguan, Highlander, GL, etc. The CX-5 wasn't even on my radar until I saw CNET do a review of the vehicle. The reason for looking at the luxury vehicles is that you can get a used older model year luxury vehicle for the price of a brand new CX-5. The used vehicle won't drop in value the minute you drive it off the lot, and it's a luxury vehicle, which means something (a lot of different somethings). If you can't get the car you want brand new, get it used.

When my husband and me went to test drive an X3, we sat down in an X1 and we immediately got up and out of the car. It doesn't feel like a BMW on the inside, and that second removable cup holder screams tacky.

Agreed about the X1. To me it screams more "me too" than luxury CUV. I have my own hangups about BMWs made in the U.S., much less a BMW SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back