Brake issue

jhines142

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys and gals. So I had an odd issue with my brakes yesterday. The passenger rear brake got really hot and it felt like it was engaged while driving. My ebrake was disengaged and when I pulled into a parking spot I checkdd the driver's side rear and the rotor was cold. This morning I drove about 11 miles and then felt both rear rotors and to my surprise, they were cold. The only thing I have replaced were pads last fall around September, and I made sure to adjust the allen key correctly on both calipers. Now I'm left to wonder wtf is going on. Any help or ideas?

You may have a seized/sticking p- brake cable and it didn't release.

Also forgot to mention the passenger rear caliper was really gunky when I replaced the pads

Just drove home from work about 11 ish miles again. This time all four rotors are warm but not hot. However passenger rear kinda smells like burning plastic

Just drove home from work about 11 ish miles again. This time all four rotors are warm but not hot. However passenger rear kinda smells like burning plastic

seems like the passenger rear caliper is sticking. did you lube the caliper slides when you did the pads? i had one of my rears stick because the slides went dry(used old grease and it just dried up) and seized causing the inside pad to rub constantly and that side got hot! ended up having to replace that caliper, as i had to cut the old caliper off the bracket and the slides were stuck in it. ($88/ea for rear calipers here at my local autozone, our rear calipers are not cheap!) is your brake fluid staying full? i had the other rear one rip a seal around the piston and i had to buy both expensive rear calipers in 2 weeks of each other. if you get a re manufactured no matter where you get it, paint it (clear or similar color to what it already is so you can keep your warranty, as the re manufactured calipers seem to rust bad) i just went ahead and painted all of mine silver at all 4 wheels as well as the rotor parts where the brakes dont touch and that area looks great now with no rust

Well I took off the wheel and tried to retract the piston with the Allen key. No luck. The caliper piston will move out ( as if I were pushing the brake pedal) withe the Allen key but will not retract. Will be getting a new caliper Thursday more than likely

The seal on the piston of the caliper can easily become damaged because of the way it twists in as it is compressed. You have to compress the piston slowly and even then it can become damaged and cause the caliper to stick. Your rear calipers likely need a rebuild or replacement.

ya caliper seized you just got punched in the wallet buy new rear brakes and rotors and just do the whole rear end again while your down there. thats what i would do, save you from doing it later

Here's a picture of the gizmos inside our rear calipers...

For reference... (It may be completely specific to our car)

Back