2013-15 or 2016 front grill

• 2013-2015 grill

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • 2016 grill

Votes: 96 74.4%

• Total voters
:
CX-5, fwd auto
I have 2013 CX-5 and really like the 2016 front (horizontal) Grill. However, reading some comments, some people prefer the 2013-2015 honeycomb style grills.
I am wonder which grill would be preferred.

2013-2015 honeycomb grill
or
2015 horizontal grill

2016, just because the honeycomb grill is a pain to clean, dry, and protect.

I don't like either. Would have liked to see the early grill replaced with a Mazda 6 type insert!

I think the honeycomb grill looks better. it is harder to clean though, but something about the horizontal grille doesn't look right, well to me atleast.

I like the 2016 grill. The old honeycomb one still looks too "smiley"

I hate the honeycomb grill they should have always had it with the horizontal slats. I'm still looking for a good option to change mine.

I voted but for me, either is fine. Just not important...

It is a pain to wash but IMO I still like the honeycomb grill over the horizontal one. Probably an easy swap but no desire to do so.

I prefer the honeycomb grille. I'd rather sacrifice hard to clean for tradition. The honeycomb grille is synonymous with Mazda as the kidney grille is to BMW. An example is the RX-7 precursor, the '71-78 Mazda Savannah.
7b071afe0283bc7b04ffc98fc29d2354.jpg
a82232079f8aa608c86360c2e9e59d10.jpg

VW GTI has it too.
My favorite is, that photo shopped one.
I like the honeycomb. My company has in it's name honeybee.;)

50-50 for me. The 2015 grill is ok, but I also like (and vote for) the 2016 one as it eliminates the gloss black plastic trim panel on top, which is handsome target for bugs and road rash!

Did you get a chance to change the grill? I went to the dealer, they are saying that two gills may be swapped (not sure 100%). Parts + Labor = 600 bucks.

Did you get a chance to change the grill? I went to the dealer, they are saying that two gills may be swapped (not sure 100%). Parts + Labor = 600 bucks.
Don't know who you're referring to here, but I was going to ask if anyone has attempted this swap. I don't know what the part costs (or if it is a direct replacement), but it's not that difficult to pop the front bumper off yourself and do the swap. The thing that I've noticed about the early grill is it contributes to a "pinched" look in the front end.

If you swap the grills, wouldn't you need(or want) to swap the fog light grill so, they all kind of match??

If you swap the grills, wouldn't you need(or want) to swap the fog light grill so, they all kind of match??
Some might; I personally wouldn't. The fog lights are the worst part of the new front to my eye. They look like a total afterthought. I don't think the mismatch would be that noticeable.

Going to echo most of the rest comments here...

Honeycomb grill looks better, but boy is it a pain in the ass to clean and a pain in the ass to keep clean.

16 plus grill still doesn't look bad though.

Some might; I personally wouldn't. The fog lights are the worst part of the new front to my eye. They look like a total afterthought. I don't think the mismatch would be that noticeable.

While I prefer the 2016 grill I prefer the 14-15 fog light. I thought I was the only who thought the fog lights should be better. It's as if the black housing is too big for the small LED lights.

Here is my new GT Dip the chrome

image.jpg

While I prefer the 2016 grill I prefer the 14-15 fog light. I thought I was the only who thought the fog lights should be better. It's as if the black housing is too big for the small LED lights.

100% right !!!!

here is my old 2014 GT

Alex_CX16.jpg

Last edited:
Back