2012 Mazda5 Class I Trailer Hitch

MarkVII88

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
Last month I installed a direct-fit Class I trailer hitch on my 2012 Mazda5.
Hidden Hitch #60291 purchased from Carid.com. I bought the hitch originally in January as part of a great post-Xmas deal. I went with the Hidden Hitch because the price paid includes the draw bar unlike other hitches from Draw-tite or Reese. Along with the hitch I bought a Mazda-specific trailer wiring kit (Draw-tite Tow Ready #118520). The nice thing about this wiring kit is the fact that it connects in-series using the existing electrical connectors between the tail light assembly and the vehicle wiring harness.

The most difficult part of the hitch install was doing it alone, having to hold the heavy hitch up against the mounting points, getting the bolts through the holes and starting to thread on the nuts. There was one hole in the frame that needed to be enlarged in order to fish some mounting hardware up into position. This was done with a 3/8 inch drill bit and a bit of filing (see image below). I made sure to paint newly exposed metal before final mount of hitch.

20150109_174200.jpg
20150109_174212.jpg
20150326_201128.jpg
20150326_210902.jpg
20150326_211540.jpg

Per the instructions with the wiring kit, I mounted the controller in the driver's side rear storage compartment near the jack mount. I also drilled into the metal near the jack mount to use as the grounding point for the system as well. The wires to tap into the passenger side lights were routed beneath the trim panel at the back of the trunk area. The most difficult part of the wiring install was routing the power wire from the rear of the car up to the engine compartment to connect to the battery, with in-line fuse.

Nice! How much was it? Have you towed anything yet? Bike rack? Luggage rack? I think I might get one of these to replace the roof box option... or supplement it.

I haven't done any towing yet. I'm building a mini storage trailer on a harbor freight frame (40 x 48 inches) to tow. I'd use it for camping and general utility. The trailer box will be fully enclosed and it'll have a roof rack on it that I can use my existing bike racks wIth. It'll weigh about 200_250 lbs and be able to haul up to 700-800 lbs of stuff!

That's a good idea- love those Harbor Freight utility trailers. I just wouldn't want to add an extra axle since I run the tollways quite a bit and they charge by the number of wheels sensed going through the booth.

I asked Mazda for the 1.25" hitch to be installed on our new 2015 as well. All its going to do is carry a Thule Helium Aero bike rack (25lbs) and 2 preteen bikes, maybe 50lbs for both. I wouldn't tow anything with the 5 as the manual states: "never tow with the Mazda 5".

to add again: since I don't have the car yet, I'm going by what the 2012 manual states.
Mazda 5 GVWR Automatic transaxle = 2125KG or 4685lbs
According to Mazda's specs on the website the curb weight is 1569KG or 3452lbs
so now we subtract the curb weight from the GVWR which is 556KG or 1223lbs
1223lbs is the MAX load total the 5 can carry.

It makes total sense as to why they dont want you towing anything. As an example 2 adults, 2 kids in our case weight about 450lbs. That leaves about 750lbs MAX. left for cargo weight like tents, gear, etc. Just like the CX-5 can carry 2000lbs, you must factor in all additional weight going into the car.

to add: Just to be sure I dug up my old 2012 manual to confirm about not towing with the 5:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
It is not in USA. But I wonder what doe European manual says for the same car, maybe some guys from across the pond can sound in?.
I bet you USA layers got to the manual on this side of the pond and put that no towing crap.
I think with tranny cooler and one driver you can tow 1500 pounds no issues. It would only add 150-200 pounds to the GVWR and should be non-issue for it.
This has been done by many and if done right, does not go above the GVWR specs, but to be safe, follow the manual.

Last edited:
Even if you could pull a 1000lbs trailer, I wouldn't dare with a 1.25" hitch. It's not just about following the limits of the car, its being safe for your family and others on the road. I had a 2012 RAM 1500 HEMI that could have 1600lbs in the bed or tow 11,000lbs, I'd love to have had a slide-in camper but it's a no-go. Even a light 1100lbs slide-in then passengers & gear would have been too much. A CX-5 with the 2.5L Sky can haul 2000lbs but even that is just shy of being reasonable. If you want to tow a trailer and have a Mazda, the only answer is the CX-9 which can carry 3500lbs.

Do some searching and you'll find many people on here who tow (including me) and quite a bit of info... to clear up a bit and summarize some of the info available on the other threads, here you go...

You do need to insure your trailer if you plan on using one. But adding a hitch does will not void your insurance as long as whatever you tow it's properly insured (costs me $63 a year). It's all about the GVWR. (from my insurer): Since the manufacturer has not rated the Mazda 5 for towing in NA it doesn't matter if you spread the weight over two or three axles you still can't exceed the GVWR.

For my 2007 Mazda5, the GVWR is 4572 lbs. The curb weight of a AT 2007 Mazda5 is 3389 lbs. So 4572 - 3389 = 1183 lbs of weight that I am insured for.

So for me, going camping with the family: Me:180 lbs + wife: 130 lbs + kids: 80 lbs + the trailer tongue weight (unloaded is very small): 10 lbs = 400 lbs total. So 1183 - 590 = 783 lbs that I am allowed to put either in the car, or trailer or both.

Or, for me going to the dump or picking up soil, bark mulch, etc: 1183 - 190 = 993 lbs of weight I can throw into that trailer and the car.

And actually, just for those worried about their car or transmission etc. What we're talking about here is just the GVWR, in the UK, the Mazda 5 is rated to tow 1322 lbs... (FYI, in the UK, a Toyota Yaris is rated to tow 1200 lbs).

The jury is still out on those with current warranties though. The consensus seems to be that if something major happens, just remove the hitch, or not... dealers sell hitch mounted bike racks for the 5 so...

The North American arms of car companies have done a fantastic job of scaring the s*** out of people with regards to towing with anything other than a truck... going so far as to put in the manuals that towing is not allowed. There are many theories as to why they've done this... my personal opinion right now has to do with a mix of the North American population is very litigious and very uniformed when it comes to towing... plus up-selling people who may want to tow into buying a second vehicle (truck) or a more expensive truck/SUV than they need.

Anyway, we need to remember this same vehicle, in the UK, with no modifications what-so-ever, with smaller engines, is rated to tow 1322 lbs. Just be careful with how much weight you're placing on the tongue, which for a class one hitch on our vehicles shouldn't be more than 200 to 250 lbs. Which, again for clarification purposes is around the max amount of stress a class one bike rack, loaded up will put on the hitch.

I've had my 2007 for about 5 years now, I've always had a small utility trailer (5'x4') and over the years have towed multiples times and various items... dump runs, tree trimmings, half-yard of soils, gravel, bark mulch, small maple tree and many camping trips.

I also use a cushioned ball mount to help make it a bit easier on the car when towing heavier loads - https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Most people don't know much about towing, so do your research before you do it, learn about it, it's not something you should just throw on the vehicle and go. Learn the in's and out's, what that weight out back will do if your load isn't level or distributed properly, which drop bar rise or drop gives you a level tongue with weight in your trailer, etc, etc. FYI - the one that often comes with a hitch is not the right one.

What many people also don't realize is that instead of loading up the rear of your car or roof rack with 400 to 500 lbs of load, it's much easier on the car (and suspension) to spread that load over an additional axle.

Have fun towing!!

Last edited:
It's really easy to say, yes, the Mazda 5 "can" tow X amount. However, in the Mazda 5 manual p. 4-12, and 2 other locations says not to, the dealership says not to. People aren't scared to try, it's obviosly happening. Fact is people also don't want to take responsibility for their actions; "The consensus seems to be that if something major happens, just remove the hitch". So, cause an accident (unintentionally) and try to cover it up with no accountability. I avoid issues like this and follow the rules of the road of the country I'm in. It's respect for the road and the other drivers around you.

Just like the camper slide-ins and trailers you see in the summer by the side of the road; they were caught overloaded and made to leave the unit behind until a proper vehical can take it away.
You have to pay to play: want to tow? Use a vehical that can do it properly.

It's really easy to say, yes, the Mazda 5 "can" tow X amount. However, in the Mazda 5 manual p. 4-12, and 2 other locations says not to, the dealership says not to. People aren't scared to try, it's obviosly happening. Fact is people also don't want to take responsibility for their actions; "The consensus seems to be that if something major happens, just remove the hitch". So, cause an accident (unintentionally) and try to cover it up with no accountability. I avoid issues like this and follow the rules of the road of the country I'm in. It's respect for the road and the other drivers around you.

Just like the camper slide-ins and trailers you see in the summer by the side of the road; they were caught overloaded and made to leave the unit behind until a proper vehical can take it away.
You have to pay to play: want to tow? Use a vehical that can do it properly.

Yep, fully agree, that's what the manuals say and so those wishing to avoid the chance of voiding their warranty can make that decision on their own. And that comment was just some general consensus from a number of different owners, wrong or right... it's just what people were saying... not my opinion and if I was still under warranty I probably wouldn't tow without asking Mazda first.

But... the manufacturers also don't make the laws and your manual has nothing to do with the law. As I mentioned in the above article... "(from my insurer): Since the manufacturer has not rated the Mazda 5 for towing in NA it doesn't matter if you spread the weight over two or three axles you still can't exceed the GVWR."

To further elaborate what my insurer told me, it is fully and totally legal to tow with almost any vehicle (local restrictions and laws may be different), where I live, if your vehicles manufacturer has not rated the vehicle for towing and even said not to tow with it, they are just protecting themselves regarding warranty issues. Again, for clarification, please check your local laws, the easiest way to do this is through your insurer, but as far as where I live, it is totally and completely safe and legal to tow with a Mazda 5. The only legal responsibility you have is to stay within the GVWR. So yes, when I tow with my 5 I am following the rules of the road of the country I'm in and respecting the road and the other drivers around me. I have educated myself and tow safely.

Your comments reflect my previous comment regarding the general lack of knowledge in North America when it comes to towing.

FYI, I live in BC, Canada and our towing rules/regs generally mirror most US states'.

Just for everyone's information and comparison, below is the information taken from the UK website Mazda 5 PDF brochure with regards to weights and towing with a Mazda 5. It's the identical vehicle, except for the engine sizes, which are smaller. You have a choice of either a 2.0 gas or 1.6 diesel (all weights are in lbs converted from kg and rounded to the nearest lb):

Curb weight (incl a 165 lb person): Gas - 3275, Diesel - 3285
Permitted Gross Vehicle Weight, Total: Gas - 4685, Diesel - 4685
Permitted Gross Vehicle Weight, Front / Rear: Gas - 2161 / 2524, Diesel - 2150 / 2535
Permitted Axle Load, Front / Rear: Gas - 2250 / 2646, Diesel - 2250 / 2657
Towing Limit* Unbraked: Gas - 1323, Diesel - 1323
Towing Limit* Braked: Gas - 2646, Diesel - 2646
Maximum Roof Load: Gas - 165, Diesel - 165

* Towing capacitiy is based on a 12% gradient and tested in accordance with 92/21/EEC as amended by 95/48/EC.

This PDF can be found here - http://www.mazda.co.uk/assets/uk/cars/brochures/mazda5/mazda5-brochure.pdf?epslanguage=en

So I think everyone has enough info to go ahead and do some more research and decide for themselves if they would like to tow with their 5 or not. I've been towing with mine for over 5 years now, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Here are a few good reads -
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...t-have-to-be-used-for-towing/article23686902/
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/tow-me-down-1609112611
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/02/the-great-american-anti-towing-conspiracy/

Towing Limit* Braked: Gas - 2646, Diesel - 2646
Maximum Roof Load: Gas - 165, Diesel - 165

* Towing capacitiy is based on a 12% gradient and tested in accordance with 92/21/EEC as amended by 95/48/EC.

So I think everyone has enough info to go ahead and do some more research and decide for themselves if they would like to tow with their 5 or not. I've been towing with mine for over 5 years now, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Good info. It is also silly how in USA often trucks like say 2015 Colorado are rated to tow 7000 pounds but you need a 100 pound driver and a 1/4 of gas to stay with-in GVWR.
I do find it strange that same cars in Canada/USA and Europe often with same engines and tranny combo rated for zero towing here and 2000-3000 pounds there. Only going by the manual towing section information, nothing else.
Mazda is not alone in this BS game of towing miss information through the manual. My Saturn is same as a few other cars I know.

Good info. It is also silly how in USA often trucks like say 2015 Colorado are rated to tow 7000 pounds but you need a 100 pound driver and a 1/4 of gas to stay with-in GVWR.
I do find it strange that same cars in Canada/USA and Europe often with same engines and tranny combo rated for zero towing here and 2000-3000 pounds there. Only going by the manual towing section information, nothing else.
Mazda is not alone in this BS game of towing miss information through the manual. My Saturn is same as a few other cars I know.

Sorry, just responding now, didn't notice your comment before!!

Thanks, appreciate it! Yep, definitely lots of mis-info.. and NA government regulations making it tough to tow with completely capable vehicles!

But, regarding the 2015 Colorado... the 4x4 with the 3.6 litre V6 (the one that is rated to town 7000 lbs as you mention), weighs 4450 lbs, and its GVWR is 6000 lbs, so it can actually handle a payload of 1620 lbs in addition to towing 7000 lbs. That gives it a total towing and payload limit of 8620 lbs. You have to remember that when a vehicle is given a towing rating, it is in addition to it's GVWR.

Back