Can the 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback Handle Low Oil?

JakeM

:
Mazda
Hello,

I'm in the middle of buying a used 2005 Mazda 3 with 156,000km (97,000 miles). It appears to be in great condition, except for the fact that when I pulled the dipstick out, there was no oil on it.
She went to get an oil change the next day.

Records indicate she did 1 oil change in 2012, 2 in 2013, 1 in 2014, and has put on 90,000km (58,000miles) on in that time.

I fear she has been running on low oil for an extended period of time.

Is it possible that damage has occurred to the engine, considering she may have been running it on just a couple of quarts for many kilometres?

Thanks,

Jake

Last edited:
Was the engine malfunction light or the oil pressurelight on? The system has to be really low on oil, as in sucking air, before that light illuminates. Have a competent mechanic listen for noises that may indicate the bearings were starved for oil (rod knock). Also, the mechanic can plumb in a temporary oil pressre gauge to monitor oil pressure. The operating pressure, especially while the engine is hot, may indicate if there is excessive bearing wear. Your mileage should not be a factor since a well maintained engine can typically go 200k to 300k miles.

You are correct to be concerned.

Was the engine malfunction light or the oil pressurelight on? The system has to be really low on oil, as in sucking air, before that light illuminates. Have a competent mechanic listen for noises that may indicate the bearings were starved for oil (rod knock). Also, the mechanic can plumb in a temporary oil pressre gauge to monitor oil pressure. The operating pressure, especially while the engine is hot, may indicate if there is excessive bearing wear. Your mileage should not be a factor since a well maintained engine can typically go 200k to 300k miles.

You are correct to be concerned.

I believe it was the oil pressure light. An oil pressure gauge sounds like a good idea!
Would be nice to find someone to come on site and do it.

Let's see:

58,000 miles / 4 oil changes for an average of 14,500 miles between oil changes and a running on empty oil condition? RUN, don't walk away from that car!

Let's see:

58,000 miles / 4 oil changes for an average of 14,500 miles between oil changes and a running on empty oil condition? RUN, don't walk away from that car!

Yeah, even if she wasn't running dangerously low on oil, I would run away from a car that went almost 15,000 miles in between oil changes. Even if it was AMSOIL.

So it turns out that there were a few extra oil changes unaccounted for, which eased my worries about the car.
I took it for a compression test as per @larson701 advice, and it checked out. All cylinders were nearly even.

So even though the oil change intervals had been slightly long, no damage has occurred. I purchased the car and am pleased with it.

Thanks for the help!

So it turns out that there were a few extra oil changes unaccounted for, which eased my worries about the car.
I took it for a compression test as per @larson701 advice, and it checked out. All cylinders were nearly even.

So even though the oil change intervals had been slightly long, no damage has occurred. I purchased the car and am pleased with it.

Thanks for the help!

Congrats on the purchase! Obviously, just make sure you take better care of it than the previous owner :D. I've bought both Mazdas I've owned new (a 2 in 2012 and a 3 in December 2014) and I've worked to keep complete service records for my cars and keep them meticulously maintained. I wanted to say that to emphasize that these cars will certainly reward you for giving them some TLC! :)

Latest posts

Back