Best time to buy?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Hello, the past few days I have been poking around on this forum, usually I'm over at the Protg5 forum. My wife and I have pretty much come to the conclusion that one of us should get a new car before October. Why October? Baby number 2 is due October 19th! Growing family means we need a bigger car. Now I'm a stay at home dad and although my P5 is in great shape and has no mechanical issues what so ever it seems logical for that to be the car that get replaced. Her 2003 Audi A4 has a few issues and honestly I get sick of all the little repairs that crop up on her car constantly. It just doesn't make much sense for her to get the bigger car when I'll be with the little one and our 2 year old 90% of the time. I hate to give up the manual transmission but the larger engine and the nicer interior on the GT out ways my want to stay in a manual.

So onto my question, When is the best time (historically) to buy a new car? Does mazda have any sort of pattern that they stick to in regards to sales? Is Memorial day a decent time for incentives or the 4th of July? We are in no rush right now and willing to wait for the right offers and incentives to be available. If anyone has any insight on this I'd love to hear it. We do qualify for S-plan pricing thru her employer and from what I've read and under stand any offers should be allowed on top of the S-plan price (invoice). So is there a time of year that mazda usually offers dealer cash or anything? We plan on using our tax return for a down payment and financing the rest. We both have great credit and what to get very low interest rates 0%-1.9% range.

I know there are deals a plenty on the remaining 2015's out there but the improvements they made to the 2016's are enough were I'm not interested in the 2015's. Let me know what you guys know. Thanks

I bought my 2015 over Labor Day 2014 sale when they were offering 0% financing. That was the only thing that was going to get me to buy a new car over a used car.

I bought my '15 in July last year, they were having a "summer blow out sale" for a few months for the 0% financing deal, so maybe wait until then? I'm not sure if they have a pattern for sales though.

I'm in a very similar situation to you as we are in no rush to buy a cx5 at the moment. Since the 2015 is still in stock I think you will find better deals on the 2016 as the 15 stock dwindles to nothing. Most manufacturers do have promotions on holidays like you mentioned, so keep an eye out. Once the 2015 stock clears you will get better deals on the 16.

On the other hand if you want a 15, go for it. Mazda NA is already offering 0% on the 15s.

Usually[IMHO] the best time is the week between Christmas and New Year's.

This.

We just bought our first Mazda branded vehicle. I didn't realize until we started looking Mazda comes out with the new model year nearly a year ahead...? Which seems to put pressure on the dealers between Xmas to Tax Day to move inventory for the March Mazda Madness. Really?

Our dealer had a pile of CX-5's at the end of December and even admited they needed to sell something before the month end. They had so many in stock the sales dudes didn't even know the car we ended up buying was in inventory. It was hiding next door in the Ford Dealer's back 40. We found it online, told them to clean it up, we were heading into town to talk turkey.

If you can live without an electric e-brake or talk-texting then the highly inferior 2015's might be a good buy if you can find one that fits your needs. If the 2016's make more sense for you then you might have to wait for the shine to dull on the new ones before bargins are available.

The best day of the month, is the last day because they have to meet their sales quota.

The best day of the year, is January 31st, as January is the slowest sales month of the year.

Anytime if you know what you're doing. Look for when they offer rebates.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we are going to try to shoot to finalize a sale over memorial day weekend. That is, only if Mazda opens some rebates, incentives or special financing for the 2016's. I'm hoping by that time the 2015's will be mostly gone. I just saw over on the "Current selling Price" thread someone got a 2016 GT with Tech and I-activsense and Cargo cover for about $31000. If I could some secure that same price for the same packages on a meteor Grey that would be awesome!!!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we are going to try to shoot to finalize a sale over memorial day weekend. That is, only if Mazda opens some rebates, incentives or special financing for the 2016's. I'm hoping by that time the 2015's will be mostly gone. I just saw over on the "Current selling Price" thread someone got a 2016 GT with Tech and I-activsense and Cargo cover for about $31000. If I could some secure that same price for the same packages on a meteor Grey that would be awesome!!!

During the 2014 Memorial Day weekend I believe Mazda was running a 0% interest rate for 2015 vehicles with other incentives like $500 Memorial Day cash. I have my eye on the new 2016 Touring model and plan to shop this Memorial Day weekend - I assume they will have similar incentives this year.

TIP: There is a thread on the site dealing with how much people are paying for the CX-5. Find that, scroll back in time to around Memorial Day last year, and see what incentives were being offered. There is a fair chance they will offer something similar this year.

Last edited:
They are offering 0% on the 2015s now. But I'm not clear of the length of term. Is it 60 months?

They are offering 0% on the 2015s now. But I'm not clear of the length of term. Is it 60 months?

The length of the term is 36 months. You have to click on the little red asterisks on the CX-5 incentive page to see terms and conditions.

Don't want a 2015. Only looking at the 2016's. The changes they made to the interior and Nav system really have me sold. Reading reviews everyone liked the cx-5 especially with the 2.5 in 2014 but the biggest complaint was the navigation and controls for the infotainment system. I test drove the 2016 and really like the center console knob control. Thought it would be very easy to get use to.

My 0% loan signed in September was for 63 months. I think it was a stretch because my credit score is high but not exceptional (I'm only 23 so I can't possibly have more than 5 years credit history, so score is ~740-750) and they added 3 months to have me qualify, since I threatened to walk if I couldn't get 0%. I remember the finance guy saying they had to add 3 extra months. Whatever!

My 0% loan signed in September was for 63 months. I think it was a stretch because my credit score is high but not exceptional (I'm only 23 so I can't possibly have more than 5 years credit history, so score is ~740-750) and they added 3 months to have me qualify, since I threatened to walk if I couldn't get 0%. I remember the finance guy saying they had to add 3 extra months. Whatever!

I wonder if this was time specific, or something they gave you. I'd prefer the 60 month term at 0. My credit is there if that would be the qualifier, and while I plan to put about 40% down, borrowing for a later term at 0 would obviously be my preference. Though I will keep your example in mind, maybe it is just as important to be assertive about your financing rate to get it.

I wonder if this was time specific, or something they gave you. I'd prefer the 60 month term at 0. My credit is there if that would be the qualifier, and while I plan to put about 40% down, borrowing for a later term at 0 would obviously be my preference. Though I will keep your example in mind, maybe it is just as important to be assertive about your financing rate to get it.

I'm not sure. The incentive was supposed to be 0% for a max of 60 months and at first, the finance guy was skeptical that I'd qualify, which ticked me off. I told my salesman that my credit is excellent despite my history being a bit short due to my age and that I'd leave if I couldn't get 0%. So they made it work but I understand they had to add 3 months to the loan. I was fine with that. I'm paying off additional principal every month anyway and I probably won't even make it past the 48-month mark before it's paid off.

Back