strange noise when starting cold

maseraudi

:
Mazda CX9
It's been 2 months that I have noticed a strange whoosh noise followed by tingling when I start the car in the morning after a cold night. Went to Mazda, they could not reproduce the noise, recorded the noise on my phone went to another shop but they could not see what is wrong. So I have attached the video here and hopefully someone sagacious will solve the mystery. Thanks in advance
Fred

Attachments

• IMG_0356.MOV
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,014
I have the same exact problem when it's about 40 or below. I have had this issue since I've owned it "Nov. 2014".

When you first start the car it is not normal. When the car is running that noise is normal when it is idling high.

that sound very similar to an issue I had with my old Highlander, it turned out to be a bad ball bearing in the alternator,

problem went away after I replaced the alternator

maybe take it to a mechanic and lubricate the AC clutch and alternator as a first step and see if that helps before doing any major work.

Sounds like the starter to me, but could be a bearing on anything getting spun by a belt. I have a hard time believing a bearing though because if they were bad enough to make that noise the sound would't immediately stop. The starter is the only thing that's engaged that temporarily.

To narrow it down someone needs to remove the belt (or belts, I haven't had our CX-9 long enough to look at how the accessories are driven) and spin all the accessories by hand (all pulleys, alternator, water pump, power steering, AC etc). If all of those spin freely when cold it really only leaves the starter.

Hi,
I know it's been a while since you posted this problem. I read through the comments from other members as well. Just wanted to check if it was a started problem in your car as well or was it the VVT actuator. I have been having the same problem since a few days, so trying to research this before I take it to the shop.

Thanks.

that seemed like the starter solenoid had some delays disconnecting the motor, dragging it for a while before disconnecting...good thing it is fixed now.

Latest posts

Back