new 2016 Honda Pilot looks like an 8 year old Highlander (photo)

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
this 2016 Pilot is debuting next week at NY Auto show,

but it seriously looks like the old generation Highlander, so bland ughhhh...

new 2016 Maxima looks very modern though

Not feeling it. Looks more like a new Pathfinder to me. Regardless, anything is better than the current Pilot styling.

To me, the new redesigns all look like each other. One has the lights protruding a bit, one has a bit more curve; nothing to get me excited here.

I like it.... and I'm not a fan of the old Highlander either. I don't really see the resemblance that you are apparently. I'm with Tex though, Helen Keller could have designed an improvement to the current model.

Agreed that the new Pilot looks less compelling than the current one.

Now, the new XC90 looks very good. Pretty unbelievable that Mazda has nothing to replace the CX9.

2015-Volvo-XC90-Front-Side-View.jpg

2015-Volvo-XC90-Front-Back-View.jpg

Honda never sells on looks.
As ugly as the current Pilot is, it still sells like hot cake.
Brand loyalty is the key.
I know many who only buy Toyota or Honda, obviously, for their reliability and resale values.

So I'm the only one who likes the one in the pic? Oh well, that bodes well for my future negotiations! :D

wow, rear looks even more uglier,

lid lights totally don't match side quarter lights similar to new BMW designs but at least BMW looks somewhat decent, Pilot just looks whack like pieces from the junkyard put together (trunk lid looks like it came from an Audi Q5 and quarter lights came from a Chevrolet Equinox)

also reverse lights on lowest position of bumper ? that can't be good if backing out of dark parking spot can't see anyone's head/body if they're walking behind you as you back up especially for a high stance vehicle.

they're trying to copy mazda design language where the grill chrome flows "into" the headlight but Pilot looks stupid, giant chrome piece extends "over" headlight looks weird and oversized, more like an aftermarket hood wind deflector slapped on.

no wonder I see more new Acura MDXs (Honda's luxury version of the Pilot) on the road these days, at least that looks good.

Last edited:
How long is the new pilot? If they didn't make it longer it was just a waste of time. Everyone else gm and ford are making theirs longer to compete with each other and mazda which was the first to make a roomy 7 passenger at 200 inches in length.

uhhhg, man that front end is terrible. They're trying for angular aggression at the same time as swoopy lines and it comes out a jumble.

That XC-90 up above is a nice piece though. Volvo did a good job bringing it even more in-line with their euro style... That model though? Looks like a Plug-In hybrid with maybe the R-line appearance package, probably puts it above $50k. Top Gear (the magazine) just reviewed the new model and liked it quite a bit, but it's targeting the BMW/MB/Acura/Lexus/Infititi market, and not the CX-9/Pilot/Pathfinder/Highlander category we are in.

If you want a good looking Honda Pilot you just have to spend more and get the Acura MDX. The MDX has always been the looker of the platform while Honda gets the plain breadbox styling.

If you want a good looking Honda Pilot you just have to spend more and get the Acura MDX. The MDX has always been the looker of the platform while Honda gets the plain breadbox styling.
A fully loaded MDX costs $57K!
A Pilot will be at least $10K cheaper.

I had an '04 Pilot, and the same was true back then too. Sure, if you get an EX-L (back then) or a Touring Platinum (now--or whatever it's called), you get into MDX territory; but you are also losing navigation and other tech features that you have to add on to the MDX. Back in '04, there was definitely not $10,000 worth of value added to move up to an MDX; I would suspect the same thing is true now. The same holds true for the Highlander vs the RX350--except the lack of a 3rd row in the RX makes it a deal breaker for many anyway.

I would agree that Honda holds back on the styling of the Pilot and other vehicles to make the Acura versions look better.

In case anyone was wondering about that nice-looking XC-90 posted above, BOOM! $71k baby!

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2016-volvo-xc90-t8-plug-hybrid-suv-priced-69095

wow, that's nuts, one can buy TWO CX-9s with that , new XC90 is nice but that sure is a lot of money for a car,

I'd be OCD all day worrying about someone scratching the paint

at the end of the day as long as it gets you from point A to point B safely and reliably is what matters

IMHO, I'd rather put the extra money towards a house, at least that's a better investment.

wow, that's nuts, one can buy TWO CX-9s with that , new XC90 is nice but that sure is a lot of money for a car,

I'd be OCD all day worrying about someone scratching the paint

at the end of the day as long as it gets you from point A to point B safely and reliably is what matters

IMHO, I'd rather put the extra money towards a house, at least that's a better investment.

Right?! For that price I'd buy a daily driver of some sort then something fun. CX-9/MX-5 combo would ring it at 65k, both brand new... Just sayin' ;)

Back