Auto folding mirror kit

well after waiting for 3 weeks the kit arrived and its installed and working properly. i didn't take pictures of the install tho but its pretty straight forward. the only problem with the manual its a wire color change on the 12pin harness and a wire location on the 14 pin harness. if anyone needs the installation manual i can scan it an upload it here.

Interesting, I read the posts stating this is a non-us spec option BUT:

Would it not be possible to buy the folding mirrors, and then add the module for the automatic operation. I'm wondering if the wiring is already in the loom, and we (us spec owners) would just need to plug in the mirror+auto module. Just thinking out loud...

I rented a '16 C300 a few weeks back for work and it had folding mirrors, and although I never saw the use for that feature before, once I used it I loved it.

EDIT: I found a link here: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/.../94714-how-install-power-folding-mirrors.html where a guy from Canada did just this on a Mazda 3.

Last edited:
Interesting, I read the posts stating this is a non-us spec option BUT:

Would it not be possible to buy the folding mirrors, and then add the module for the automatic operation. I'm wondering if the wiring is already in the loom, and we (us spec owners) would just need to plug in the mirror+auto module. Just thinking out loud...

I rented a '16 C300 a few weeks back for work and it had folding mirrors, and although I never saw the use for that feature before, once I used it I loved it.

EDIT: I found a link here: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/.../94714-how-install-power-folding-mirrors.html where a guy from Canada did just this on a Mazda 3.
It would be a very expensive proposition and difficult to do trying to convert US-spec outside rear view mirrors to power folding mirrors. You need to buy a ticket to Japan for vacation, get two power folding mirror housings (you need motors to fold) with matching color which can be more expensive if you have blind spot monitor. You also need a power folding mirror switch. That's been said, I really wish our CX-5's have power folding mirrors here in the US!

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1302%252520-%252520%252520Power%252520Folding%252520Outside%252520Rear%252520View%252520Mirror.jpg

It would be a very expensive proposition and difficult to do trying to convert US-spec outside rear view mirrors to power folding mirrors. You need to buy a ticket to Japan for vacation, get two power folding mirror housings (you need motors to fold) with matching color which can be more expensive if you have blind spot monitor. You also need a power folding mirror switch. That's been said, I really wish our CX-5's have power folding mirrors here in the US!

I agree, it wouldn't be cheap. But, check out the link I posted, it is possible and you do not need to add the switch, just the auto fold module which is relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't get the mirror from Japan as they are right hand drive. If I could source them from Spain or France maybe...

I agree, it wouldn't be cheap. But, check out the link I posted, it is possible and you do not need to add the switch, just the auto fold module which is relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't get the mirror from Japan as they are right hand drive. If I could source them from Spain or France maybe...

I read the write-up who modified his Mazda3 with power folding outside rearview mirrors with parts from Japan, China and USA which was very messy. Lots of wire laying and relocating which is what I suspected. If you want the mirror folding/unfolding automatically when you lock/unlock the car instead of turning the switch each time you need it, you need another electrical in-line module to do it! You do need a different switch with an additional position to control the folding motors.

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1302%252520-%252520%252520Power%252520Folding%252520Outside%252520Rear%252520View%252520Mirror.jpg

Guess "messy" is relative. It didn't look all that difficult to me, maybe a days worth of tinkering in the garage...but I enjoy that so...(shrug)

i brought the universal module on eBay for 10 us , but when i installed the mirror they stop working and it fold , so i installed and put all as original but it doesn't work , some one know if theres a module or something i should do to make it work again.

sorry for my bad english

Sounds like you may have gotten your wires crossed somewhere and shorted something. I'd start my search at the fuse for the power mirrors and go from there. Check and see if any other systems have stopped working, etc. If both of those check out, grab yourself a Fluke and start testing. Sorry to hear about the issues, hope you get it sorted.

Hi Joaks, hope you can help. I just purchased the C850-V7-650A kit but find the colours are different compared to the instructions. Any chance you could send me your instructions? Is it the same colour wires but just different positions in the harness plug.
Thanks
Dean

Hi Joaks, hope you can help. I just purchased the C850-V7-650A kit but find the colours are different compared to the instructions. Any chance you could send me your instructions? Is it the same colour wires but just different positions in the harness plug.
Thanks
Dean
Depending on the region, each car would have different wiring colors. In my case i dont own a gen1 any more and the instructions were delivered to the new owner. But as far as i can remember, if you install the new harness as per the instructions the mirrors will work inverted.

If you can, upload the page of the manual it came with where it shows the install of the pins into the main harness, to check that part out. I was able to diagnose it with a tester verifying the signals of each wire. It's not that hard though. [emoji4]

Plus power folding mirrors come in useful on UK single track roads, especially if you see a tractor approaching and no refuge area, fold in via the switch and squeeze by with a couple of inches to spare(nailbyt)

Just curious. What's the reason for having power folding mirrors?

I thought I read more often used in countries with narrower roads and parking places.

First time I was ever exposed to them was my father's '93 Isuzu Trooper.

My GX 460 has them. Stock they weren't auto folding but with a simple $50 OBD module they auto fold when vehicle is locked and unfold when vehicle is unlocked. Module even added the feature to close all the windows on a lock operation if they were open.

Stock they weren't auto folding but with a simple $50 OBD module they auto fold when vehicle is locked and unfold when vehicle is unlocked. Module even added the feature to close all the windows on a lock operation if they were open.
You have auto folding, with a $50 kit?
I thought, that it's not possible with US cars.

US Mazdas do not have the auto-folding mirrors.
There is a plastic gear inside the housing that is prone to failure.
Some owners outside US have replaced it with a metal one, and that solves the problem.
(symptom: it stops midway when folding.

Back