2005 Mazda3: Recommendations on mid-range priced brakes and rotors

Google

My original pads and rotors have lasted quite a long time. I have about 30% left on the front according to the dealer and about 60% in the rears. My mileage right now is ~55,000.

I am looking for long life "normal street" pads and rotors with no noise (like my OEMS). I don't want or need high performance pads or rotors. Something that can hopefully last just as long as the OEMs.

What do you guys recommend and which store (online, retail location)?

You might want to buy OEM pads if they performed adequately for you. It could be a guessing game as to whether an auto parts store pick of brake pads perform well and are quiet. Many aftermarket "quiet" pads don't perform as well as OEM and many non-quiet-rated pads are noisy. As for plain (blank) rotors, NAPA has decent quality ones.

I bought pads (for another vehicle) at NAPA, and although I bought their "premium" product they were junk - the backing plates were not even correctly formed, so they didn't slide freely in the calipers. They've lost my business for any serious parts.

If the target is OEM performance and life, why not just buy OEM?

concept seems to be spot on.

I am apprehensive in buying OEM because of the cost. Also, Mazda carries "econo-pads" in addition to regular standard OEM. I wouldn't know if I am getting the regular pads vs econo. Dealers like to gouge us. I was hoping aftermarket brakes would be cheaper and have more improvements (better stopping, equally long life, no noise, no dust) than the original OEM. However, judging from the mixed feedback, it looks like I will have to settle for OEM brands.

Even NAPA and Pep Boys do sell many versions from China. It seems unless you know someone there that you can trust, you might not be getting something decent.

Also, Mazda carries "econo-pads" in addition to regular standard OEM. I wouldn't know if I am getting the regular pads vs econo.
An interesting problem. I once bought a replacement muffler for a Honda from the dealer, since it wasn't much more than aftermarket and the original equipment quality was better than I was likely to get elsewhere. As it turned out, the dealership sold mediocre aftermarket stuff, using the same part number as the real OEM part but with "A" added to the end. I watch for that now, and have not had a problem since.

I noticed that Mazda dealers sell wheels which are styled exactly like OEM Mazda wheels, but are made by an aftermarket supplier and are intended as extra sets such as for winter use. These are not really OEM parts, but they are Mazda-approved, well made, and clearly identified as aftermarket by the dealer. As long as the distinction is clear, I have no problem with dealers selling aftermarket parts and there are good uses for them; in the case of brake pads, I refer to get genuine OEM.

All I've needed to buy for my Mazda3 have been seat belts (chewed by a dog): those are definitely OEM... and there's not really any alternative, so it's not very close to the brake pad situation.

Back