Intermittent starting issue / electrical gremlin

winston3x

Hi Folks,
2002 with 161,XXX. Issue started about a year ago. Turn the key, all accessories have full power but no start. No clicking from the starter, I hear a slight click from something behind the glovebox - sometimes. Usually after waiting a couple minutes or repeated turns of the key it will start. When it does, starter sounds fine and is strong with no hesitation. The problem will occur every few months, will happen for a couple days then no issues for a few months.

Battery is brand new. Recently replaced the positive terminal clamp (old one was severely corroded), negative is in good shape and both battery posts have been cleaned and treated for corrosion. All fuses are fine, main and fuel pump relay seem fine but I really wouldn't know what to look for or how to test.

Read many threads on starting issues, found a few that sounded like mine but there was no resolution. Left it with a dealer for a day (only because it's an electrical issue) but it didn't happen so they couldn't diagnose.

Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks!

Automatic? Check that it's actually registering as being in park(box around the P). Ours had that issue when we first picked it up. Dealer had it fixed, but it's starting to display that behavior again. Next time it happens check if the P is boxed in and if not start it in neutral instead.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...tarting-question-won-t-start-when-hot-in-park

I had the same problem a time ago and I solved with some washers on the two screws of the base in the pic.

I had the same problem a time ago and I solved with some washers on the two screws of the base in the pic.

Thanks guys. Yes, automatic but not tiptronic. Forgot to mention, I did test the park switch. A couple times when it wasn't starting, shifted to neutral but same result. All accessories but no start, just silence. Also tried putting it in and out of park a few times.

I'll take look at those bolts and see if there's anything obviously loose.

i believe its in the fuse box or up in the dash buried i cannot remember off hand

There is a big ass relay built into the starter motor. (the coils shown in the schematic)

I'm thinkin it's "sticky" or some sort of bad connection on the small wire that turns it on and off.

Try giving the starter a good smack with a hammer or something next time it doesn't kick in. If that gets it going then you've got a sticky solenoid on your starter.

I'm pretty sure you can feed +12 V straight to the small black/yellow stripe wire to see if it kicks in.

You can also test for +12 V on that connector (small black/yellow wire Terminal number 2) to make sure it's "on" when your key is in start position. (be careful in case it kicks in while you're probing)

starter_zpszl7camzb.jpg

There is a big ass relay built into the starter motor. (the coils shown in the schematic)

I'm thinkin it's "sticky" or some sort of bad connection on the small wire that turns it on and off.

Try giving the starter a good smack with a hammer or something next time it doesn't kick in. If that gets it going then you've got a sticky solenoid on your starter.

good idea

Back