Continental True Contact Review

I put the Conti Truecontacts on my '14 CX-5 Touring AWD in March. We got one or 2 decent snowfalls and they performed great! I think the ride is quieter, smoother, and better grip everywhere. My mileage hasn't really changed much. I'm probably going to put these on my wife's Pilot this fall.

I had to look back and see when I put the Contis on, and it looks like around 33k miles. I have 56k on the car now. My original observations still apply. I think the tires are great. Handle really well in the wet, grip well, and if I drive easy I can get 33-34 on the highway at 65.

I think the CX-5 in general is loud as hell on the road, especially compared to my wife's Lincoln MKC, so I can't really give a good indication of tire noise compared to the stock Toyo tires.

I would buy them again. I could check the tread depth later to see how much they've worn over the last 20k miles.

Thanks Seminole! Yes, please chime in with the tread depth. My Toyos (at 27K miles) are between 5/32 and 4/32. I'm hoping to get 30k - 35k out of them before switching.

I put the Conti Truecontacts on my '14 CX-5 Touring AWD in March. We got one or 2 decent snowfalls and they performed great! I think the ride is quieter, smoother, and better grip everywhere. My mileage hasn't really changed much. I'm probably going to put these on my wife's Pilot this fall.

That's good to know. I did research on the Conti Truecontacts MPG from folks who care (Prius forums) and they were not happy (1 to 2MPG loss). Based on your and Seminole responses, that could be limited to the tires for that specific car or in comparison to OEM.

Thanks Seminole! Yes, please chime in with the tread depth. My Toyos (at 27K miles) are between 5/32 and 4/32. I'm hoping to get 30k - 35k out of them before switching.

Checked the other day and it was just below 7/32nd. The ties came with 10/32nds, so with 33k miles driven that's equating to about 10k miles per 32nd.

I have researched all the 225/55/19 99V rated tires and not one of them stands out as the best tire. So I decided to go with the Michelin Premier LTX's which are being released June 1st in this size. I paid for them yesterday to take advantage of the $70 rebate which finishes May 29. COSTCO, where I bought them will order them June 1st. I have had Michelins on past vehicles and really like how they perform.

I put those on my Mazda5 and my observations where that they do ride a little soft as well. They are excellent in the snow though and they handle the wet well too. I think compared to the OEM Mazda5 tires though they feel a little less sporty. Noise seems to be quieter at first but then becomes about the same later on. Its subjective so basically its close.

Just put the new Michelin Defender LTX on my Mazda CX5 a few weeks ago and so far I really like them. They are extremely quiet and handling seems to be comparable to or slightly better than in feel to the 17" Yokohama I had that came with the CX5. The Continental True Contacts are rated extremely well by CR too.

I bought Continental True Contacts in the stock 19" size in October 2015. It didn't snow enough last winter to find out whether they're an acceptable compromise for occasional snow. But now we're getting it. With 3" of fresh snow on top of the previous night's snow/melt/refreeze I drove through steep little used roads in our mountainside community. I got through everything with zero drama. I also started from a full stop on a 10 percent grade and had no problems. I simply used a gentle gas pedal.

This is the first vehicle I've owned in more than 20 years for which I've run all season radials instead of true winter tires, so I know the difference in traction. But for the number of times I will drive in the snow over the years, the True Contacts are a good compromise for a region which doesn't get snow every winter and for an owner who doesn't venture into the mountains during winter. For Metro Vancouver driving, they're just fine.

I know I had a post from last year on here but those Continentals are great tires. I had the DWS on my old Maxima and handled everything with great ease.

co_xtrcontactdws_pdpcrop.jpg

Back