Continental True Contact Review

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
One of my OEM Toyos had a flat at 15k miles which was patched, but about a month ago at 32k-33k miles I came out to my car and the patch had failed. Since all 4 tires had around 4/32nds left I decided it was better to go ahead and replace all 4 rather than buy 1 new tire or attempt a patch again.

I didn't really have much of a problem with the Toyos, they were ok to me, but I wasn't wowed by them and even through Tire Rack they were very pricey to replace. I wanted to stick to the original tire size of 225/55R19 and at $194 they were $75 cheaper per tire than the Toyos. Based on the detailed testing that tire rack did (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=189) as well as my previous experience with Continental DW tires on my BMW, I decided to go with the True Contacts. I live in Florida where snow is no concern but we get lots of rain, so something that also handled well in the rain was a key for me.

I bought the tires through Tire Rack and had the local dealer install them and align them for me. I'm having a hard time remembering what the Toyos were like brand new, but after another 1-2k miles on the True Contacts, I can say I definitely think they ride softer than the Toyos did. They also weigh 3 lbs. less per tire than the Toyos, which is an easy way to reduce some unsprung weight per corner without getting new wheels. Handling is still comparable to the Toyos when taking a sweeping off-ramp at speed or driving enthusiastically. I'm not the best judge when it comes to road noise, but they might be equal to, if not slightly quieter than the Toyos. Our cars are noisy anyways and I don't think any quality tire brand will make too much of a difference.

Overall I'm happy with them and would purchase them again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!

I plan on getting these as my next set of tires for the same reasons you did. However, I'd be getting them in the 17" size, replacing the stock Yoko's.

I plan on getting these as my next set of tires for the same reasons you did. However, I'd be getting them in the 17" size, replacing the stock Yoko's.
When are you planning to do this? Will be interested to hear how they work on the smaller wheels; particularly if they offer a better ride than the Yokos. Michelin would be my other alternative. I'm on H&Rs and would like to take some of the "bite" out of the lowered suspension.

Probably not any time soon. I only have 18k on the car/tires with plenty of tread depth left. Just very proactively shopping. lol.

I've just had pretty good experience with the Conti ProContacts Eco on my mom's prius, so if I can get a similar experience with these LRR True Contacts, I'd be happy.

Let us know what you think after you get them!
No problem, looking to replace stock tires after 34K on them. still have 5/32 tread left, but after 3 years the rubber is hard causing reduced traction and increasing road noise levels / stiffer ride.

Actually put General Tires RT43 on our mini-van, which is a subsidiary company of Continental Tires. Great tires, hoping the True Contacts are even better!

Decided to go with Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Tech instead. Dealer ordered them and should be installed next 2 weeks. cant do wrong with any of these tires, so close in ratings.
What changed my mind was the TireRack's own tests results, more of a true SUV tire (can do tad more off-road), consumer reports raves about LX20s, and some 5Million miles on TR's user survey.

Dealer was pushing Michelin Defenders, which I have not problems with except their lower ratings in snow is an issue.
OEM tires are a 35K with 4/32 tread left. not bad for tires rated for 280 tread wear, but they are dry rotting, rubber is turning hard, and dry/wet traction is seriously degrading rapidly.

Seminole, please keep tread updated on your experience with the tires.

I've got the oem Toyo's and have had two patches put in one tire already. To date I'm not really impressed with them. Thanks for the review. I'll probably take a hard look at the Conti's when the time comes. Right now I'm at 26K.

I had some Conti Extreme Contacts on my last car. I was impressed with them. Good tire in the wet and even snow. They did lose some handling after about 35K miles, but I guess any tire will lose that after enough miles. I traded the car in and the dealer said the tires will still good.

Seminole, any chance you could take some pix with the tires on the car?

thanks

Seminole, please keep tread updated on your experience with the tires.

I missed your previous posts, sorry about that.

Here's two pictures:

wFkeGPf.jpg

cZUReLX.jpg

I'm close to 36k miles now and the tires have definitely broken in much better then when I first got them. They ride very smooth. I tend to drive pretty fast and it's windy here so that saps my gas mileage a lot, but the other day we didn't have much wind and I set the cruise control to 75mph and the onboard computer was bouncing between 30-32mpg. We also had a big rainstorm on my ride home the other day and just like my experience with the Extreme Contacts I had on my BMW, they are superb in the rain. It honestly feels like it's not even raining and you have tons of grip. I've please with them and would recommend them to anyone who's looking for new tires.

Oh sweet. They have the DWS tread depth indicator. Didn't notice that on any of the tire rack pictures.

My Mazda dealer refused to order True Contacts for my car since it has a T speed rating (118mph) while the stock tires have H speed rating (130mph). I spent 30 minutes trying to change their minds, but they weren't giving in. something about them not wanting to take on the liability of putting on lower speed rating tires on.

So had to go back to research mode again, luckily I had 3 finalists tires in mind: True Contacts, CrossContacts LX20 (Still T-rated only), and Pirelle Scorpion Verde™ All Season Plus which happens to have a H speed rating.
The Pirelle Scorpion Verde™ All Season Plus have great reviews on tirerack and still 740 treadwear A temp A handling, so thats fine. Going to have them installed (Hopefully) next week and will let you know how it goes in a new post

Wow! All that dickering and compromising in order to satisfy a dealer service dept. Dont you have any independent tire shops in your area who will charge you half as much and install what YOU want?!

My Mazda dealer refused to order True Contacts for my car since it has a T speed rating (118mph) while the stock tires have H speed rating (130mph). I spent 30 minutes trying to change their minds, but they weren't giving in. something about them not wanting to take on the liability of putting on lower speed rating tires on.

That's messed up. Does the speedometer even go to 130mph? IIRC it does not. I'll have to check when I go to lunch. If it doesn't, their argument is invalid. Not to mention there is always a percentage fudge factor to these ratings. In other words, I doubt a 118mph rated tire would explode at 119mph.

That's messed up.

Welcome to the lawsuit happy world. It doesn't matter if the tire really would give out under normal driving. If anything tragic happens in that vehicle the lawyers will look for anyone and everyone they can list as a defendant. Putting perfectly fine tires that didn't match specs exactly would leave them open for a huge payout decided by 12 people that couldn't get out of jury duty. It is ridiculous, it is stupid but it is the modern world where the profit from selling the tires doesn't out weigh the tens or even hundreds of thousands it could cost them.

I think most reputable tire shops will not put a lower speed rated tire like a T instead of the factory H rated tire or a lower Load rating. There are legal issues.

My dealer had a promo of getting 1st set of tires free for buying the car from them, so I need to work with them to save the ~$650.

Maybe the owner's manual has something about speed tire rating requirements.

Have an apt for next Friday to put them on. we shall see how it goes.

So had to go back to research mode again, luckily I had 3 finalists tires in mind: True Contacts, CrossContacts LX20 (Still T-rated only), and Pirelle Scorpion Verde™ All Season Plus which happens to have a H speed rating.
The Pirelle Scorpion Verde™ All Season Plus have great reviews on tirerack and still 740 treadwear A temp A handling, so thats fine. Going to have them installed (Hopefully) next week and will let you know how it goes in a new post

The 19 inch True Contacts are H rated. I just took this picture:
B3kp9bH.jpg

My dealer installed my tires with no issues or complaints.

Last edited:
Back