Aftermarket CX-9 Navigation

Coop37

:
Mazda cx-9
Hi All,

This is my first post. I have a 2008 CX-9 and my navigation screen is blurry and dark. Contrast and brightness don't help. Can't see the rear view camera very well either. Anyone have a fix or can recommend an aftermarket upgrade solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have a 2008 CX-9 and my navigation screen is blurry and dark. Contrast and brightness don't help. Can't see the rear view camera very well either. Anyone have a fix or can recommend an aftermarket upgrade solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think your best bet is to swap it out for another same OEM head unit, that way you don't have to deal with wire harnesses, stereo amp, rear camera, mounting bracket, FM/AM/Navigation antenna compatibility issues.

Also I believe the clock settings is also tied to the OEM head unit so you won't be able to adjust the clock with an aftermarket unit, the 2008 CX9 head units are relatively inexpensive, I see one on eBay , if you get the same model it's just an easy plug and play.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Swapping out the OEM head unit is fairly easy, just need to be careful when taking out the plastic decorative panels, they are pretty flimsy, also you should get non marring panel removal tools

See here for how to remove cx9 head unit

Last edited:
Have you turned up the brightness of the dash lights? You can press the adjustment knob and it dims the dash and nav system and press it again and they get bright again.

Have you turned up the brightness of the dash lights? You can press the adjustment knob and it dims the dash and nav system and press it again and they get bright again.

It's on the upper left side of the instrument panel..push it once to brighten / darken.

WOW! That's way more than I want to spend.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. When I've gone aftermarket, I've always gone with Pioneer HU's... They are high quality, feature packed, and an actual upgrade to the vehicle. Couple that with a reputable dealer that gives you tech support and all the wiring harnesses you need, and you get a good install. When you go with an unknown brand like the Amazon link above, you get the receiver, but I doubt you'll get tech support or the wiring needed to complete the job, keep the steering wheel controls, or hook up the rear camera.

Not trying to be a downer, just realistic. (drinks)

WOW! That's way more than I want to spend.

don't believe the suggested price on the pioneer link, i've found them MUCH MUCH cheaper online. you could probably even go with last year's model and save even more. i just posted that link so you could see the official features list.

I didn't click on the link above, but yeah, that's a flagship model up there. Pioneer's top-of-the-line... They make a pretty compelling option called the App Radio that forgoes the CD player and uses your phone for a lot of the power behind the scenes. Here's the AppRadio 4: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SPDA120/Pioneer-SPH-DA120-AppRadio-4.html

You might still be able to get the AppRadio 3 for a pretty steep discount.

I have a slightly older model of this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4700BS/Pioneer-AVH-X4700BS.html in a 2008 VW GTI and it's fantastic. Way better than the stock navigation system in my 2014 CX-9 (bigger screen, higher resolution, ability to play DVDs and slave to rear monitors, HD radio, USB, Bluetooth, MirrorLink, etc.). It doesn't have NAV built in, but it will use your phone for that and display it up on the screen.

Pioneer makes great stuff, it's all I buy. Crutchfield is also great to deal with. Tech support, service, harnesses (lots of them free), free instructions, blah blah blah. I also live about 15 minutes from one of their 2 brick and mortar stores, so that helps... or hurts me.

This is just MY opinion... I really like a clean OEM look. I try not to tamper with my newer vehicles that have all these new fangled streamlined interiors. It just doesn't look right. If it were me, I'd find a replacement unit, and add an integration module, which allows you to add an amp to a factory system, or a stand alone equalizer (assuming you want better tuneage)

Anybody here replaced their standard radio unit with one of these OE fit Navigation unit? I saw the head unit removal video and it looks fair simple. I have a sports trim and have the standard stereo unit. Will this replacement unit need anything special to work? programming? additional accesories?

Looking for a replacement...

My wife has a 2011 CX-9 GT and I'm getting to the point of wanting to replace the navigation system. There are so many new roads in the Raleigh/Durham NC area that we are almost unable to use the car nav and are forced to use our cell phones. Has anyone tried putting one of the newer (2013+) TomTom units in an older CX-9? I'd hate to loose the fuel economy functionality by swapping the head unit out. Also, knowing me, I'd want to remove the Bose amplifier and go full aftermarket with new amps and speakers.

Last edited:
Crutchfield recommended this setup to me: Kenwood Excelon DDX492 with wiring harnesses to integrate the Bose system and steering wheel controls. I bet it would be a pain to install. I would order it, but...

I just ordered new EBC pads and rotors all round. So, maybe in a few months. Having the BT handsfree broken right now is killing me though. (notcool)

My wife has a 2011 CX-9 GT and I'm getting to the point of wanting to replace the navigation system. There are so many new roads in the Raleigh/Durham NC area that we are almost unable to use the car nav and are forced to use our cell phones. Has anyone tried putting one of the newer (2013+) TomTom units in an older CX-9? I'd hate to loose the fuel economy functionality by swapping the head unit out. Also, knowing me, I'd want to remove the Bose amplifier and go full aftermarket with new amps and speakers.

If your main concern is a lot of new roads, can't you just buy a newer map DVD to insert, rather than replace the entire system?

^^ Yep, currently "only" $20 per quarter (for nb1), but man-o-man, so wish someone would figure out a way to disable the "speed safety lock" on these! Bad enough the TomTom version used on this vehicle isn't the greatest, severely restrictive and with lousy voice recognition... seriously looking at potential replacements such as those described in thread, perhaps one with Android Auto (?)

#threadrevival

Back