Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Changing CX-9 transfer case gear oil (photos)

2010 CX-9 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Njsarge View Post
    I completed the change of fluid in the transfer case today on my 2010 grand touring. Has about 16k on this fluid in a replacement transfer case. The hardest parts were getting the plug loose for the first time and cleaning up the fluid that dropped out after the fill. That part got a little messy. Put the plug back in, didn't need thread lock because there was still a lot on the plug. Took it for a ride and seemed fine. Taking an a trip from NJ to South Carolina in the next week but still have serious reservations about taking the Mazda. Will be doing the trip in two legs so looking at 5 hours continuous driving. I have a hard time trusting this vehicle for that amount of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response, the procedure wasn't as bad as I thought just a little tight under there trying to work.

2010 CX-9 Grand Touring

I completed the change of fluid in the transfer case today on my 2010 grand touring. Has about 16k on this fluid in a replacement transfer case. The hardest parts were getting the plug loose for the first time and cleaning up the fluid that dropped out after the fill. That part got a little messy. Put the plug back in, didn't need thread lock because there was still a lot on the plug. Took it for a ride and seemed fine. Taking an a trip from NJ to South Carolina in the next week but still have serious reservations about taking the Mazda. Will be doing the trip in two legs so looking at 5 hours continuous driving. I have a hard time trusting this vehicle for that amount of driving.

Just a follow up the fill plug had a good amount of burnt sludge on it. The fluid pumped out easily and was not sludge yet.

Registered Member

Just a follow up the fill plug had a good amount of burnt sludge on it. The fluid pumped out easily and was not sludge yet.

Glad to heat that if flowed freely. Mine was the same and so was my buddies car, makes me feel better that we caught it early on thanks to the great information here. I really think you'll be in fine shape for whatever trip you decide to take. Yes it is very tight under there but having done this a few times now I am pretty good at it. THe bigger issue for me is the mess that you have to clean up, seems unavoidable given the location of the PTU.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

if PTU failed, cost isn't too bad to fix considering the amount of work involved ......

$1500 total (replacement parts and labor)

he's located in Pennsylvania, see his video below.......

Meenan Transmission • 1938 N. Broad St. Lansdale, PA 19446 (215)855-5123 www.meenantransmission.com

but look at all the shavings on the TRANSMISSION SPLINES in his video (00:23 seconds mark) ,

is that shavings from the PTU teeth (best case scenario)

or

Transmission teeth (worst case because replacing with new PTU won't fix anything, the car will be FWD, need to replace the transmission splines but Mazda doesn't just sell the splines, have to buy a whole transmission or take part from a junked CX-9)

Also, it is very critical to use the same brand and sizes on all 4 wheels for AWD

especially critical on the CX-9 considering how delicate the PTU is and how little oil capacity it has.......

Last edited by astriuminc; 07-07-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

this is so messed up..... a lot of the tutorials with photobucket photo links like Avidien's original tutorial post now don't work....

Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web
    Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things are about to change in a big way as of June 26th.
    Now the service is rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/pho...-embedded-web/

2010 CX-9 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by rowlands57 View Post
    I took a trip straight throgh from NY to SC in my 2012 with about 15,000 miles on a refresh of the fluid last summer. Made the trip with no issues at all and everything is fine. I also have a buddy who uses his 2010 for frequent back and forth from SC to NJ. I have done the fluid in his vehicle only once about 2 years back and that is working just fine too. I think you should be just fine with the re-done fluid. I have been using the Royal Purple and based on experience with it I will continue to do so.
    Took the trip this past week with no issues except one of the heat shields toward the back came loose and rattled for the last hour of the trip.

Registered Member

2014 CX-9 GT

I got an official warranty extension mail from mazda, stating that the warranty on transfer cases is now 90K miles on 2014 and 2015 year models. Looks like they still did not fix it I guess all new Cx-9 are still affected too.
    I'm pretty sure this warranty will not cover if a transfer case damages transmission like in some cases, when a case suddenly locks due to the sludge and either cuts the splines on the transmission gear (car is now FWD), or totally kills transmission.
    What the hack Mazda, this issue is already 10 years old
    I guess I will be changing oil each 10K or so.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
    I got an official warranty extension mail from mazda, stating that the warranty on transfer cases is now 90K miles on 2014 and 2015 year models. Looks like they still did not fix it I guess all new Cx-9 are still affected too.
    I'm pretty sure this warranty will not cover if a transfer case damages transmission like in some cases, when a case suddenly locks due to the sludge and either cuts the splines on the transmission gear (car is now FWD), or totally kills transmission.
    What the hack Mazda, this issue is already 10 years old
    I guess I will be changing oil each 10K or so.
    yep, I believe it was confirmed awhile ago, 2007 thru 2015 CX-9 AWD all have the same transfer case issue,

small capacity and no drain plug to service the oil.

2016+ 2.5L turbo engine AWD is completely different transfer case and Mazda design, not Ford design like the 2007-2015.

you have the right idea though, service the oil regularly and you should be ok.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516