Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Changing CX-9 transfer case gear oil (photos)

2010 CX9 Blue

I found a permanent solution to this issue.
    I have some cleanup and interior fixes to make on the car and then I'm going to put it on Craigslist and unload it.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Wurf View Post
    I have some cleanup and interior fixes to make on the car and then I'm going to put it on Craigslist and unload it.
    wait, I don't understand, did you come up with a real permanent solution to transfer case issue, or you're just being sarcastic and solution is to sell the CX-9 ?

if former, please share with members of permanent fix.......

so far the only real fix is to add a drain plug and regularly change out the oil which really isn't that bad once you get used to it,

the real deal killer for me is the inevitable water pump failure, the water pump replacement is way beyond my capabilities and lack of tools, for that reason I'll being unloading it as well, once the water pump seal fails, it'll be very hard to unload it.

2010 CX9 Blue

"or you're just being sarcastic and solution is to sell the CX-9 ?"
    The former....not that unhappy with the car overall but at 94k miles on a 2010 I think it's time. Getting out while I'm ahead.
    New tires on it and all new front suspension parts from the LCA recall about two weeks ago which included an alignment. I did the brakes not long ago myself so it's in pretty good shape considering. Still runs good and drives great and I wasn't even aware of the water pump issue.
    It should have plugs done soon too but I might just skip it.
    I'm wheeling a 2015 Highlander now and it's a great, reliable machine but completely uninspiring to drive.
    That's OK because to satisfy that fun factor car, the replacement of our CX-9 will be a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.
    If Mazda decided to grow some balls and build a Mazdaspeed CX9 or even the CX5 with maybe a 300hp turbo4 and AWD, I might be interested, but their new philosophy is another direction. Their cars look great and drive great, but don't have the power I'm looking for anymore.
    They are building for a different demographic than myself.
    The reliability of the Jeep is my biggest concern but at least I'll have benefits to balance out any hassles that crop up, such as 470hp 6.4L Hemi, amazing brakes, amazing seats, excellent stereo. Test drive hooked me hard. It's a blast.

Registered Member

2014 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Wurf View Post
    No car is perfect in this universe. The 2017 CX-9 has totally new and different powertrain - skyactiv. I was reading, no more Ford parts in it.
    This is my second CX-9 and we looked others Honda, Toyota, Hyundai back in 2014 - not our cup of tea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_lV5EUeNg

Anyway, back to topic.
    I am using Auto-rx in my engines for years, which is perfect to remove sludge. Did anybody use it in TC?

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Registered Member

2014 CX9 Touring, 99 10AE Miata

I have a 2014 touring with 65,000 miles and decided to do this. After a half an hour trip to the store I drove it up on ramps in the front and jackstands on the back so I had plenty of clearance. As you can imagine the transfer case and surrounding exhaust were extremely hot so I had to be very careful. I used the suggested electric pump that I purchased at Northern Tool hooked up to my battery charger and it worked extremely well in extracting the old oil. As someone else suggested perhaps Mazda has change their lubricant or the design of the transfer case or the heat shielding around the exhaust, but whatever the case the used oil was not that bad. I replaced the old oil with Mobile 1 synthetic oil, the same that I put in the transmission and differential of my Miata. It comes in a squeeze bottle so I simply connected it to one of the hoses on the pump and squeezed it in. All in all it was a fairly painless process. I do not feel like I need to do this again for another 30,000 miles. Thanks for the suggestion OP. Now I can sleep better at night!

Registered Member

2014 CX-9 GT

Ok here is my updage after my wife drove 500 miles and i repeated the procedure. The oil came out slightly dark purple almost the same as the original color. I used the same eleftric pump to fill the case and was a right thing to do. There was not a single drop of oil on a floor. I put paper towels on the exaust pipe when the oil started coming out after overflow. That is it, do not use manual pump! This time i used mobil oil, which was on sale at advance auto parts. My personal thought it's better than the RP. Also love design of theirs bottles, as the bottle has measuring indicator which shows how much of oil you have added.
    Last edited by Eugenius; 04-28-2017 at 08:03 AM.

2010 CX9 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
    No car is perfect in this universe. The 2017 CX-9 has totally new and different powertrain - skyactiv. I was reading, no more Ford parts in it.
    This is my second CX-9 and we looked others Honda, Toyota, Hyundai back in 2014 - not our cup of tea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_lV5EUeNg

Anyway, back to topic.
    I am using Auto-rx in my engines for years, which is perfect to remove sludge. Did anybody use it in TC?
    I know I'm not contributing much to this thread with this info but thanks for the youtube video which compares the new CX9 to the Audi.
    We bought a low mile 2016 Q5 3.0T last week and it's hella sweet. The SRT Jeep was a beast, like an offshore race boat on wheels and "not my cup of tea" or my wife's and WAY too expensive for what you get. It is utterly ridiculous frankly.

As for this thread, our 2010 went about 68K as I recall before the PTO puked out the grey goo in my garage and thankfully Mazda repalaced it. If I were the owner of one of these cars and the PTO hadn't blown out yet, I would replace the lube every 50K and use Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Valvoline synthetics. You really shouldn't have to do it at an interval shorter than that.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9

Well. In spite of changing my case fluid. My transfer case blew up this week. Grinding gears, marbles in a jar, the whole bit. This design is a serious piece of crap. I'm selling my 2011 CX-9 before it dies too, and have to get the 08 fixed before I can do anything. Ordered the case today. What a joke. And Mazda won't do a thing.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by douchbaggery View Post
    Well. In spite of changing my case fluid. My transfer case blew up this week. Grinding gears, marbles in a jar, the whole bit. This design is a serious piece of crap. I'm selling my 2011 CX-9 before it dies too, and have to get the 08 fixed before I can do anything. Ordered the case today. What a joke. And Mazda won't do a thing.
    that sucks, failed even after changing the transfer case oil ? I was under the impression because of the low capacity, the transfer case oil was the suspect for the premature failures of the CX-9 transfer case..... I changed it every 20K miles with no issues so far, I'm up to 80,000 miles..... how many miles did the 2008 have before it broke ?

for me, I/m not as concerned about the transfer case , the car can still drive in FWD if I have to, but that water pump issue is a showstopper for me, I don't want to get stuck with a big repair bill, I pan to sell the CX-9 this summer.

Donated: $30

2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD & 2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Our 2011 CX-9 is at 107k miles. I changed the TC fluid at 50K, and just recently at 100K. TC was always a concern of mine after getting that letter for the warranty extension on the CX-9. Right now, this thing still runs great......now you people are starting to scare me with this Water Pump Issue. Is it really a common issue, or is it getting all blown up because people come to forums to post issues, not happy news.

Anywho.....I am hoping the CX9 has 3yrs or so left in her, so we can trade it in as part of a down payment on something new. We're starting to get the itch for something new though, so it might not be 3yrs, we will see I guess.
    Last edited by Rawyzf; 07-06-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD - Brilliant Black Clearcoat
    MODS: K&N Air Filter, WeatherTech Floor Liners, R1 Concepts Premium Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
    Winter Wheels: - 18" Drag DR-38 (18x8 +35 Offset) with Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 245/60/18 - Click for Pics
    Summer Wheels: - 20" Lorenzo WL32 (20x8.5 +35 Offset) with Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus 275/45/20 - Click for Pics

2016 Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker M6 - Redline Red TriCoat

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic - SOLD Jun, 2017

2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Black Metallic - SOLD Mar, 2015
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - SOLD Dec, 2013
    2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6 - Whitewater Pearl - SOLD Jun, 2009
    2003.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege - Blazing Yellow - SOLD Jun, 2006

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

douchbaggery, you ordered the transfer case? how much and are you doing this yourself or are you having and indy mechanic do the job and how much do they charge?

Registered Member

CX-9

Is the transfer case that first gear whine (not loud but noticeable)?

I have 25,000 miles and just noticed this sound. I have warranty until 2022 so I don't care what breaks honestly but I'm due for an oil change and ask them to fix this.

2010 CX-9 Grand Touring

I completed the change of fluid in the transfer case today on my 2010 grand touring. Has about 16k on this fluid in a replacement transfer case. The hardest parts were getting the plug loose for the first time and cleaning up the fluid that dropped out after the fill. That part got a little messy. Put the plug back in, didn't need thread lock because there was still a lot on the plug. Took it for a ride and seemed fine. Taking an a trip from NJ to South Carolina in the next week but still have serious reservations about taking the Mazda. Will be doing the trip in two legs so looking at 5 hours continuous driving. I have a hard time trusting this vehicle for that amount of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

I took a trip straight throgh from NY to SC in my 2012 with about 15,000 miles on a refresh of the fluid last summer. Made the trip with no issues at all and everything is fine. I also have a buddy who uses his 2010 for frequent back and forth from SC to NJ. I have done the fluid in his vehicle only once about 2 years back and that is working just fine too. I think you should be just fine with the re-done fluid. I have been using the Royal Purple and based on experience with it I will continue to do so.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast