Mazda 2 Shift Boot Removal Question

Moofknock

:
Mazda2
Hi,

First time poster. :) I purchased a new shift knot and there is a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the knob and the top of the shift boot. I want to be able to close that gap, and I understand the plastic ring that connects to the plastic console can be pulled, but I attempted that but honestly got scared. I don't want the console or the plastic ring to snap. Is there a video or photos showing how to do his safely? The other option is to place some kind of washer in between that space to fill it up, but I'd like to have something that is not visible.

What can I do. I would love to have some photos or samples.

Thanks!

Pull up on the front, hard. It'll pop right up. Also you want that shift boot, it's nothing but nasty underneath. Add some washers under the boot on the shaft.

Ok, so it is not the silver ring that I need to pull but the whole thing with the black plastic that surrounds the boot and the silver plastic ring, right? I saw some photos and I think I can do this now :) Thanks Morpheus. Keep offering that red pill around!

Last edited:
When you mean the front, we're talking about the rounded part? Do we pull upwards or back. Just wondering if the clips connect by sliding or just pushing/pulling upwards.

The Matrix reference, Morpheus. :)

Oh, only saw it once. Crappy movie.

If you use the screwdriver method, make sure you stuff a towel or something soft in between the blade and plastic, it's very easy to crush/damage the plastic pieces in this car.

Its fine, I managed to pull it. It is hard, but possible. I got the washers in, and my shift knob is perfect. Thank you!

A048006F-A8A2-414B-BBF1-08BAB2C28884.jpg

DDMworks had fantastic instructions with their shifter and bushings. I used them along with the instructions for my Metra dash kit (for my new head unit) to take everything apart and put it back together without a single scratch of marr from screwdrivers. I suggest you get an auto trim pry kit for harbor freight, they're plastic and helped me a little I think.

Back