USB Error

Bon Scott

Contributor
:
2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Hopped in my sled this morning to head to work and waited patiently for the USB stick to load my tunes. To my dismay, the screen said it was loading but then came back with the USB Error message. I'd been using this Kingston 16 gig stick for about a year now (since I bought it last February) and it worked fine. Took it out and plugged it back in again several times, but same result. Turned the vehicle off and waited a minute or two and turned it back on....same result. So, I bought a new USB stick (sony 16 gig) and loaded everything onto it....and it works like a charm. Not sure why the Mazda doesn't read the Kingston stick anymore, yet it opens fine on my computer. I did a search here for this issue and came back with vague results so I figured I'd post this message to help anyone else down the line.

Bon

Same thing happened to me with an 8 gig thumb drive that worked perfectly for months. Infuriating. Flash drive works fine everywhere else.

If you haven't tried it already, it might be worth a shot backing up the contents to your computer, reformat the drive, and then copy back the contents.

If you haven't tried it already, it might be worth a shot backing up the contents to your computer, reformat the drive, and then copy back the contents.

Did all that multiple times and nothing changed. Even showed the dealer and they couldn't tell me what was wrong.

Hopped in my sled this morning to head to work and waited patiently for the USB stick to load my tunes. To my dismay, the screen said it was loading but then came back with the USB Error message. I'd been using this Kingston 16 gig stick for about a year now (since I bought it last February) and it worked fine. Took it out and plugged it back in again several times, but same result. Turned the vehicle off and waited a minute or two and turned it back on....same result. So, I bought a new USB stick (sony 16 gig) and loaded everything onto it....and it works like a charm. Not sure why the Mazda doesn't read the Kingston stick anymore, yet it opens fine on my computer. I did a search here for this issue and came back with vague results so I figured I'd post this message to help anyone else down the line.

Bon

Thank you so much for this, I know this is a very old thread but it solved the issue.

I've read lots of different strategies and repair scenarios on forums but this was the quickest way to solve this "USB Error" issue. I can give some more insight as well... I was not using a dedicated USB key. Instead I was using a small USB 3.0 adapter with a micro SD card. I thought I had to use a different micro sd card to get this to work, however that is not the case. What I had to do was use a new adapter (luckily I had a spare) and I used the exact SAME micro sd card and no more USB Error.

So then to me that means it's somehow corrupting the actual adapter connected to the memory chip. This seems for any usb key or adapter. I have no idea why it remembers what adapter was connected when it has to load all the audio after the car is off anyways.

Thank you again for this, cuz now I can avoid the damn dealership and their insane repair costs.

*2014 Fully Loaded CX-5 GT*

Back