Leaking coolant?

ibdead

:
2008 Mazda5
I have a 2008 Mazda 5 and it is leaking coolant. I can't see where it's leaking from, but it's dripping from (what I think) is the oil pan. Anyone know what could be leaking coolant from above the pan? Engine coolant drip.jpg When I look under the car, I can also see it drip to the ground, seemingly from the middle of the pan.

Last edited:
That looks like it may be dripping from somewhere higher up and making its trail way down to that area. I suggest you look a little higher up.

I have a 2008 Mazda 5 and it is leaking coolant. I can't see where it's leaking from, but it's dripping from (what I think) is the oil pan. Anyone know what could be leaking coolant from above the pan? View attachment 210395 When I look under the car, I can also see it drip to the ground, seemingly from the middle of the pan.
That is the transmission oil pan. Are you "sure" it is coolant? Air pressure when driving would move things all over the place.

No need to speculate. Go to any auto parts store and buy a bottle of coolant dye for a few bucks and a black light. Pour the dye it into the radiator and go do an errand. Use black light to trace the leak.

Yeah I'm sure it's coolant, it's a quick leak and I have to refill the reservoir every night. I'll try the dye and blacklight and see if I can find the source, thanks for the input.

From where you see it on the transmission, I would suggest looking at the upper radiator hose at the rear of the engine where it connects to the plastic coolant manifold (bolts to the back of the cylinder head. The seal could also be leaking for that coolant manifold. If you have a mirror stick it under the coolant manifold and you will see it leaking at the manifold seal or under the upper radiator hose. When coolant leaks from this area it streams down the side of the transmission like in your picture.

If for sure the fluid leaking is coolant, I would check the radiator (seams, fins, hoses). Also check your t-stat as it could be cracked.

I checked all the hoses along the radiator and along the bottom for any leaks. I filled the coolant and let the car sit, and found drips from near the center of the engine bay. Would a cracked thermostat have an effect with the heater?

Back