Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

Anyone with an Iphone 5 or 6 with IOS 8.2 can verify that text messages show up on the head unit, with the updated bluetooth module installed? And to what degree, is it just an alert, is the text message displayed on the HU, can you reply thru the HU?

had the BT module replace this morning usb problem fix but still have problem with SMS downloadi have an Iphone 4S and my wife 5S ,i try with a Blackberry SMS download and show up on head unit

Last edited:
Got the updated BT module this morning...

First impressions:

As another user pointed out, we can no longer use the "answer" steering wheel button to initiate a call. We now have to go through an extra level of voice (mis)recognition to say "phone" before asking to "call XX".

I have a 64GB USB3 stick with apprx 2000 songs and 4 playlists. Two playlists are 26 songs each, one is 98 songs, and the last one (which is my primary "driving" music) is ~3500 tracks over about 1850 actual music files. In that last playlist, the majority of songs occur between 2 and 8 times in the playlist. I do it this way to cause songs I like more to play more often when shuffled. So, using that last (big) playlist, I wait until it's playing and is done reading the USB drive (noted by the proper track counts.) I then turn off the car and come back in 15 minutes to start it back up. When I do this, it starts in USB mode with some message about it starting up connections. Then it'll jump to FM, USB will turn gray (disabled) and then come back to white (enabled again.) If I select the USB device again, it'll resume playing (and act as others have reported.)

This jump to FM every start is very annoying. I'll try to repeat with a smaller playlist, less files, etc and will report.

IPod (5th gen) - well, it starts playing MUCH faster, but I haven't had a chance to do much more than just start it. I want to confirm that it won't resume playlists as reported, and I also want to see if the infamous "iPod Error" message still shows up when switching FROM iPod, to FM, and back to iPod.

dealer just call they receive the part, appointment tomorrow morning 7:15

I just got an email back from one of the dealers in my area here in Ontario. Looks like we have to wait a bit longer for this fix:

Thank you for your inquire; we have been working closely with Mazda Canada with respect to this issue. We are aware of the bulletin issued in the United States (09-008/15); unfortunately this repair is only for the U.S. market, and has not been released here in Canada. However I have received note from our Canadian Quality Assurance department that a new module will be released to us very soon – no specific time has been given.

Anyone with an Iphone 5 or 6 with IOS 8.2 can verify that text messages show up on the head unit, with the updated bluetooth module installed? And to what degree, is it just an alert, is the text message displayed on the HU, can you reply thru the HU?

I cannot get text to work... Iphone 5S IOS 8.2... module was updated this past monday. USB stick loads quicker and remembers where it left off but the messaging function still fails to download when attempted manually or even prompt to do anything if a text does come in to my phone.

contacted 3 kc area dealers 2 of them said tsb didn't exist and there was no recall on my vehicle 3rd said it was too early and tsb wasn't available yet to act on- really frustrating after contacting mazda hands free support they just said dealer should have same tsb as us and to just talk to dealer.. oh well will keep checking back with dealer to see when that might happen

tsb and recall are 2 different things.

I don't see why you didn't email/fax a copy of the TSB that the OP provided - this would save the dealer from doing the research and would clearly contradict their statement that "Tsb wasn't available"..

Got my module replaced today and all is well now. USB stick does resume where left off, no more starting on the first track.

I have an Android phone so the IPhone/Ipod issues were not a concern to me, only the resume at startup.

I just got an email back from one of the dealers in my area here in Ontario. Looks like we have to wait a bit longer for this fix:

Thank you for your inquire; we have been working closely with Mazda Canada with respect to this issue. We are aware of the bulletin issued in the United States (09-008/15); unfortunately this repair is only for the U.S. market, and has not been released here in Canada. However I have received note from our Canadian Quality Assurance department that a new module will be released to us very soon no specific time has been given.

You can tell your dealer that Canada's biggest Mazda dealer, Albi Mazda, in Quebec, has ordered, received and installed this part in my '14 CX-5 GT today. Mazda Handsfree gave me a case number over the phone and that allowed them to order the part using that exact TSB number (so it's been released in Canada). Maybe that'll help you get satisfaction.

I haven't had much time to use the new part, but I can confirm that my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.2 is recognized as an iPod and does play music through USB now, almost as soon as I plug it in. It needs a very long time to become able to browse the iPhone's music though. I still prefer Bluetooth playback because of that, even if they have not fixed the annoying Shuffle issue (where the car disables the iPhone's shuffle function).

Playback from my SanDisk 32GB USB2 key now resumes after the engine is shut off. I still have sound quality issues when using USB keys though (some tracks playback with loud cracking noises). I have not had the patience to try multiple file formats etc. It's all just .m4a files from my iTunes library.

Still, it's almost bizarre to not hear Feist's 1234 track each and every time I start the car! I **almost** miss it. ;)

Thank you for your inquire; we have been working closely with Mazda Canada with respect to this issue. We are aware of the bulletin issued in the United States (09-008/15); unfortunately this repair is only for the U.S. market, and has not been released here in Canada. However I have received note from our Canadian Quality Assurance department that a new module will be released to us very soon no specific time has been given.
I got mine replaced today in Regina,SK. it is available. call hands free first if dealer is not helpful. they would talk to dealer and solve the issue.

PS: songs now resume, I am happy

You can tell your dealer that Canada's biggest Mazda dealer, Albi Mazda, in Quebec, has ordered, received and installed this part in my '14 CX-5 GT today. Mazda Handsfree gave me a case number over the phone and that allowed them to order the part using that exact TSB number (so it's been released in Canada). Maybe that'll help you get satisfaction.

I haven't had much time to use the new part, but I can confirm that my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.2 is recognized as an iPod and does play music through USB now, almost as soon as I plug it in. It needs a very long time to become able to browse the iPhone's music though. I still prefer Bluetooth playback because of that, even if they have not fixed the annoying Shuffle issue (where the car disables the iPhone's shuffle function).

Playback from my SanDisk 32GB USB2 key now resumes after the engine is shut off. I still have sound quality issues when using USB keys though (some tracks playback with loud cracking noises). I have not had the patience to try multiple file formats etc. It's all just .m4a files from my iTunes library.

Still, it's almost bizarre to not hear Feist's 1234 track each and every time I start the car! I **almost** miss it. ;)

Fleecy
Albi mazda replace mine yesterday with your iphone can you receive SMS trought head unit ! . i try with my 5S and 6S and can't receive SMS

Thanks everyone for the info regarding SMS and the Iphones. Think I'm going to leave well enough alone and not have the BT module replaced. I have a 2013 built in late 2012 and don't have the issues with the USB and memory sticks. Haven't had the SMS functionality so I guess I won't miss it. The next time I get a new cell phone I'll go back to a Droid phone maybe.

had the BT module replace this morning usb problem fix but still have problem with SMS downloadi have an Iphone 4S and my wife 5S ,i try with a Blackberry SMS download and show up on head unit

Finally got the SMS working with my Iphone 4s. for those who have problem try this ...in your car with your Iphone go to Setting/Bluetooth/Mazda connected at the end you will see a blue dot with the "i" press the dot and turn ON notifications, shut down iphone and restart . stop and start the car SMS should download .work with my 4S but with my wife 5S it don,t work.
good luck

Last edited:
The dealer just changed the bluetooth unit on my 2015 CX-5 GS, it but did not solve the usb first song issue. So I called 18004200153 and they advised that the software also needed to be updated to a least 7.00.00. Mine is running version 6.03.00 (How to check SW version: while you are in FM or AM mode on the radio, push Power and Seek>> at the same time you will get the error antagonistic mode enter code 38). Can any one confirm the bluetooth unit GJR9-66-DH0B is the newer one (you can find it on dealer service invoice, thanks in advance). My dealer does not have any clue about the software update so far. I will talk to them on Monday again.

The dealer just changed the bluetooth unit on my 2015 CX-5 GS, it but did not solve the usb first song issue. So I called 18004200153 and they advised that the software also needed to be updated to a least 7.00.00. Mine is running version 6.03.00 (How to check SW version: while you are in FM or AM mode on the radio, push Power and Seek>> at the same time you will get the error antagonistic mode enter code 38). Can any one confirm the bluetooth unit GJR9-66-DH0B is the newer one (you can find it on dealer service invoice, thanks in advance). My dealer does not have any clue about the software update so far. I will talk to them on Monday again.

i check my new module and the SW is 7.00.00 #CJR9-66-DHOC

Manufacturer: Mazda
Part Number: GJR9-66-DH0C
Part: ADAPTER,TELEPHONE
Replaces: GJR9-66-DH0, GJR9-66-DH0A, GJR9-66-DH0B

Last edited:
Try closing the mail app and leave the messaging app open. Make sure show notifications is turned on on your wife's iphone.

...When I do this, it starts in USB mode with some message about it starting up connections. Then it'll jump to FM, USB will turn gray (disabled) and then come back to white (enabled again.) If I select the USB device again, it'll resume playing (and act as others have reported.)

This jump to FM every start is very annoying. I'll try to repeat with a smaller playlist, less files, etc and will report.
This issue went away when I switched to another USB thumb drive. Exact same files on it, but it works better now.

I tried doing more testing with an iPod (classic with spinning HDD) 5th Gen, but it's started to blare loud static noise while playing music. (Actually, the music is replaced by loud static-type noise.) I had the same issue before the BT module update with two different iPod 5th gen's, so it's likely a bug with the BT module that wasn't fixed.

GJR9-66-DH0B is correct. i got it replaced and it works fine

OP here, took in my car for 35,000 mile service and told them about the service bulletin. It's going to take about 2 weeks to deliver. The other Service Advisor ordered his last week and hasn't arrived yet.
Southern California here.

Back