Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

Hello Fellow Mazda Owners,

Taking advice from the multiple replies and threads on this forum, I tried following the process of having the module changed out on my 2014 CX5 GT, by contacting Mazda HF and having them issue a case number before making appointment with local Mazda dealer. After having a bitter experience and being told that, since my vehicle is barely 1600 miles over the 60K warranty, I needed to pay a $135.00 evaluation fee, plus other charges to change out the module (if it turned out that this would be the fix), that would result in an investment of over $400.00. All of this, simply, to have the ability of playing music files off my 16GB USB drive that index at the last file played when I turn off my vehicle.

Exploring options of either investing the $400.00 being charged, in a head unit that is compatible with the factory Bose system installed, or finding someone that has a used module in good condition that has the correct software (think salvaged vehicle) that can be swapped out with the older module.

Any other recommendations that any of you could offer? BTW, the case number process that Mazda HF handles to try and address genuine issues that Mazda owners are experiencing, are very often, ignored or become the laughing stock at Mazda dealerships. Aren't Mazda dealers, proven representatives of the Mazda Corporation?

Regards.

I sympathize, but no, not at all. Dealers are local businesses and there can be great variation in service from one to the next. Mazda has a list of "Gold Cup" dealers that should be somewhat better performing in this regard.

Have any of you, swapped out your factory infotainment system (2014-2015) and replaced it with a after market head system? I have the Bose audio system and would like to make sure that whichever after market system I decide to install, will be compatible with Bose factory system and pose the least problems to install.

Any recommendations on any specific brands (Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Kenwood, etc.) I seem to remember that a Fellow Mazda owner had luck and few difficulties using a Pioneer unit.

Feedback will be deeply appreciated.

Be Well.

Contact Mazda Corp and inquire about the good faith warranty . Some call it a goodwill warranty . Basically under these warranties Mazda Corp should either fix or discount the repair since the issue happened so soon right after manufacturers warranty expired.

Taking advice from the multiple replies and threads on this forum, I tried following the process of having the module changed out on my 2014 CX5 GT, by contacting Mazda HF and having them issue a case number before making appointment with local Mazda dealer. After having a bitter experience and being told that, since my vehicle is barely 1600 miles over the 60K warranty, I needed to pay a $135.00 evaluation fee, plus other charges to change out the module (if it turned out that this would be the fix), that would result in an investment of over $400.00. All of this, simply, to have the ability of playing music files off my 16GB USB drive that index at the last file played when I turn off my vehicle.

I also encountered the "diagnostic fee" when inquiring about the issue, despite informing them of the TSB. But my car is well out of warranty so it was a moot point anyway.

Then I checked the software version. It's 7.0. My conundrum, however, is that it doesn't want to play nice with my iPhone (6s). When I connect via USB, the on-screen shuffle doesn't work and the first part of each song gets cut off by approx. 5 seconds. This glitch doesn't occur when connected to Bluetooth, nor is it present when I plug an iPod Nano into the USB port. The phone has no problems in other USB-equipped vehicles (e.g., a Subaru Legacy). Very strange.

I also encountered the "diagnostic fee" when inquiring about the issue, despite informing them of the TSB. But my car is well out of warranty so it was a moot point anyway.

Then I checked the software version. It's 7.0. My conundrum, however, is that it doesn't want to play nice with my iPhone (6s). When I connect via USB, the on-screen shuffle doesn't work and the first part of each song gets cut off by approx. 5 seconds. This glitch doesn't occur when connected to Bluetooth, nor is it present when I plug an iPod Nano into the USB port. The phone has no problems in other USB-equipped vehicles (e.g., a Subaru Legacy). Very strange.

This will likely not address your issue, but it couldn't hurt: if you haven't already, try updating Gracenote (http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/howto-updategracenote?language=en-NA).

It won't work unfortunately as pcd77 will have an NB1 unit as their car is 2014, not an MZD Connect unit.

Well, I know I've updated Gracenote on my car (some years ago), which is a 2014. (See, e.g., https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123857107-Gracenotes-DB-Update.) But the links in the old threads lead to the same page I referenced above. I have no idea whether downloading the latest files listed there would work with an NB1, but it might be worth finding out.

Will this take care of the delay in connecting to Bluetooth?

I have a 2015 CX-5 Touring Non-Bose, and it takes around 5 minutes to connect to my phone (iPhone 7+) everytime I start the car. I checked the firmware, and it's not the 7.0, so I don't think this fix has been applied. If this fixes the delay I'll call today.

I have a 2015 CX-5 Touring Non-Bose, and it takes around 5 minutes to connect to my phone (iPhone 7+) everytime I start the car. I checked the firmware, and it's not the 7.0, so I don't think this fix has been applied. If this fixes the delay I'll call today.

Even if it doesn't fix the delay (not sure), it does address other failings in the original module and is worth pursuing, especially if you can get it done as TSB/warranty replacement (free).

How many contacts do you have?

Well, I know I've updated Gracenote on my car (some years ago), which is a 2014. (See, e.g., https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123857107-Gracenotes-DB-Update.) But the links in the old threads lead to the same page I referenced above. I have no idea whether downloading the latest files listed there would work with an NB1, but it might be worth finding out.

I downloaded the current file from that link, but the system wouldn't read it. I poked around online and found a few other update files... one labeled "4-15-14", another labeled "8-25-14." Both of those are around 280 MB. The third is labeled "update.package" and is 20MB.

Is there any way to know which Gracenote version is currently installed?

So... the two large files didn't work. The small one displayed a message that indicated that particular update or a newer version was already installed.

I'm left to conclude the problem resides in iOS.

Anyone have any further input on this?

I just checked AllDataPro and this Service Bulletin was published last week!

It fixes the long load time of music on USB flash drive and fixes always playing the first track on ignition start!
It also fixes SMS downloading with a bluetooth phone (but only for iPhones)

The fix is (like others have said) a replacement of the Bluetooth module.
Attached is the Service Bulletin.

View attachment 210392

I have this issue on my 2017 GT. When I bring it in for it's next oil change, maybe I'll ask about this and see if I get anything done.

I have this issue on my 2017 GT. When I bring it in for it's next oil change, maybe I'll ask about this and see if I get anything done.

This thread only pertains to 2013-2015 CX-5's that had an entirely different infotainment system.

Did the replacement awhile ago. Yet the time still doesn't show when I'm playing something. I never get to see the seconds tick. It's really weird.

Did the replacement awhile ago. Yet the time still doesn't show when I'm playing something. I never get to see the seconds tick. It's really weird.

I've also been having issues that when playing Pandora, it loses connection. If I play through Bluetooth, it seems to work better. Wish there was an easy fix to get ApplePlay retrofitted but not so on my 2014 (2013 build). Really like it on the 2019!

Back