Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

Well piss, wish I would've seen this sooner. It is very annoying every time you get in the car and start back with track #1.

Can't imagine how annoying it will be trying to convince dealer to replace this 5k outside of my 3/36 warranty.

I'm kind of annoyed they didn't tell me about this TSB one of the many times I've been there.

I was speaking on the phone to a Mazda Australia customer service rep today about two issues with my 2016 CX5 Akera.

The "flaky at best" performance of the Mazda infotainment system was one of the issues.

He told me that Mazda Japan have promised a significant software upgrade to the system, sometime "early in 2017".

They are hoping that this will address the slowness, freezing, connectivity, and other issues many people have been having. He agreed that the system performance currently leaves a lot to be desired.

Hi, Does anyone know if this would be covered under the Certified Pre-Owned warranty? I just purchased a used 2013 CX-9 with this issue. Car is out of 3/36 warranty but it has the first year of the CPO warranty. I tried calling the mazda hands free # but they were less than helpful.

Thanks.

Same situation. I was told no, it's not covered under CPO, though I had contacted them before I purchased and they had told me they'd work with me to get it fixed. Just got back from the dealer today and had to pay $50 for labor for them to put in an old module! Will now have to make a 3rd trip to the dealer now.

Does anyone know if the pairing information is stored in the module or in the head unit? Seeing as the module was "swapped" but the new module is 06.03.000 firmware revision, I'd like to determine if it really was swapped. (Should have marked it before, but I wasn't sure where the module was.) I noticed my phone paired right back up with the new (old?) module.

Last edited:
I just got through getting a new bluetooth module for my 14 CX-5. Unfortunately I drove too many miles, and had to pay over $400 to get it installed (including the price of the part). It works a lot better now, but it's still pricey.

Dropped off my 2015 at the dealer today, they called to tell me they had to order the part and it will be done under the 3/36 warranty. Does anyone know exactly where in the vehicle this module is located? I looked behind the radio and did not see it back there, any ideas?

It's behind the glove box. A small white plastic box. There are pics somewhere in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer was great. First they said the radio could not have software updates, but I told them when I first got the car in '14 the radio software was 6.00.00 something and now its 7.00.00 so it was updated before. They ordered me a new radio, when that did not fix the no shuffle problem they did not want to order a new BT module without MazdaUSA approval.

I called customer service and they approved a new module and the dealer ordered it. Today after 30min in the shop and the new BT module installed I finally have a working shuffle button on the radio and it holds that setting between starts. New software version in 7.02.00. :)

For those who do not want to pay $400 for a new module, how do you recognize the updated module to get it from a salvage yard?

Also, what is the latest firmware for this module? Since the update, It won't show texts/emails on screen anymore from my Galaxy S4.

Last edited:
bumping this up. Has anyone successfully been able to get the updated Bluetooth module and software updates done out of warranty? My CX5 is a 2015, 43k miles. Its had the starting over at track 1 issue since day one but I never got it fixed. I should have. If you pay for the service are they really charging $400?

bumping this up. Has anyone successfully been able to get the updated Bluetooth module and software updates done out of warranty? My CX5 is a 2015, 43k miles. Its had the starting over at track 1 issue since day one but I never got it fixed. I should have. If you pay for the service are they really charging $400?

I just registered so I could post a reply to you. Long story short I discovered this thread about 4 months ago after searching online for a "bluetooth issue" on my wife's 2014 CX-5. Initially I phoned the overseas support line which was both a complete waste of time in addition to being redundant. Ultimately I phoned Mazda of Canada's customer support line and very calmly explained to the advisor that although the vehicle was 90 days out of warranty at that point mileage was extremely low (at the time roughly 40,000KM or 25,000 miles) and while the vehicle wasn't being serviced at the dealer I was aware Mazda knew of the issue/problem for the last 2-3 years so being just out of warranty was a moot point. The advisor said she'd follow up in a couple of days, at which time I got a call from the local dealer who initially turned me down after I inquired about a goodwill fix (denied because I didn't service the car there) and the master mechanic informed me Mazda of Canada had asked him "to take care of me." I arrived at the dealership and the master mechanic installed the latest module and updated the hands free software to version 7.01.00 at no charge.

Just wanted to thank this forum as well as this specific thread as none of that would have happened without the info shared by all.

Hello everyone - this is my first post.

I just bought used 2014 CX-5 sport with manual transmission. It has firmware version 06.01.000, and the bluetooth unit has not been replaced.

Is this model compatible with the firmware posted on mazda3revolution.com? That is, can I simply install the newest firmware from that site (currently 59.00.441A)?

Thanks a lot for quick reply.

The module which needs to be replaced, according to the service bulletin, has part number GJR9-66-DH0Z. I wonder if the old (defective) module had the same part number or not? I would like to try to find a used module, but I want to make sure that I buy the correct one.

1st, unless things at the dealers have changed which I doubt;
the labor allowed for the TSB is approx. 12 minutes (maximum 15!)
This is not a 2 HR JOB!!!

Now do the following on your radio.
Hold power and seek with Radio On then enter code 38

This should show you the firmware version. 7.0 is the new one. Just turn radio off to get out of mode. NOTE: IF THE VERSION IS ANYTHING LESS THAN VER 7.00, THE DEALER DID NOT REPLACE THE MODULE! The only way to get to version 7 is by replacing the module! The old module is not able to be flashed to version 7!!!
!

The USB track repeat issue is definitely fixed with version 7 and the NEW replacement module! You can d/l the TSB earlier in this thread (around pg 10-20) AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!

Sounds like your dealer is not understanding the fix!! Way back when (last May) Dealers were not following the replacement...they would try to flash the old modules ..THUS PRODUCING FAIL!!!!

Good luck and plz advise when they fix it! That is a MOST annoying fault, especially if your usb stick has over 20 songs!!!!
If all else fails, suggest you call Mazda USA!

I realize the above post is almost 3 years old, but I just got my daughter's CX5 back from the dealer about this very issue. They said they updated the radio firmware, but that her iPhone 6 shouldn't even technically be able to play music (?!) through the USB connection.

I checked the firmware on the radio (power + seek, code 38) and it reads 7.00.000, but the bluetooth module behind the glovebox still has stickers on it that say GJR9-66-DH0B, with S/W REV: 06.02.000.

FTR, whatever they did didn't really improve any issues whatsoever. A different dealer said the new bluetooth module (PN GJR9-66-DH0Z) was on indefinite backorder, and $391+tax whenever it would come in ("Could be next week, could be next year!").

Are there any other improved ways to get this issue resolved? It seems ludicrous to me that a vehicle sold in 2014 can't officially play music from an iPhone 6, even though my 2011 GMC truck can do it just fine (with BETTER functionality than the newer CX5). This is just maddening. (pissed)

I realize the above post is almost 3 years old, but I just got my daughter's CX5 back from the dealer about this very issue. They said they updated the radio firmware, but that her iPhone 6 shouldn't even technically be able to play music (?!) through the USB connection.

I checked the firmware on the radio (power + seek, code 38) and it reads 7.00.000, but the bluetooth module behind the glovebox still has stickers on it that say GJR9-66-DH0B, with S/W REV: 06.02.000.

FTR, whatever they did didn't really improve any issues whatsoever. A different dealer said the new bluetooth module (PN GJR9-66-DH0Z) was on indefinite backorder, and $391+tax whenever it would come in ("Could be next week, could be next year!").

Are there any other improved ways to get this issue resolved? It seems ludicrous to me that a vehicle sold in 2014 can't officially play music from an iPhone 6, even though my 2011 GMC truck can do it just fine (with BETTER functionality than the newer CX5). This is just maddening. (pissed)

Can't comment on USB because I don't use it, but the iphone 6 works fine over bluetooth. I've never bothered with this fix because bluetooth works fine.

I'd also be suspect about a dealer claiming an iphone 6 can't play music on it. Dealers say a lot of things.

how do TSBs work? I just bring one in to the dealer and they fix it for free?

You have a 2017, so this thread would not apply to you. In general TSB's are not fixed for free unless under warranty, and you have to be able to demonstrate the issue listed in it pretty conclusively.

Hello Fellow Mazda Owners,

Taking advice from the multiple replies and threads on this forum, I tried following the process of having the module changed out on my 2014 CX5 GT, by contacting Mazda HF and having them issue a case number before making appointment with local Mazda dealer. After having a bitter experience and being told that, since my vehicle is barely 1600 miles over the 60K warranty, I needed to pay a $135.00 evaluation fee, plus other charges to change out the module (if it turned out that this would be the fix), that would result in an investment of over $400.00. All of this, simply, to have the ability of playing music files off my 16GB USB drive that index at the last file played when I turn off my vehicle.

Exploring options of either investing the $400.00 being charged, in a head unit that is compatible with the factory Bose system installed, or finding someone that has a used module in good condition that has the correct software (think salvaged vehicle) that can be swapped out with the older module.

Any other recommendations that any of you could offer? BTW, the case number process that Mazda HF handles to try and address genuine issues that Mazda owners are experiencing, are very often, ignored or become the laughing stock at Mazda dealerships. Aren't Mazda dealers, proven representatives of the Mazda Corporation?

Regards.

Hello Fellow Mazda Owners,

Taking advice from the multiple replies and threads on this forum, I tried following the process of having the module changed out on my 2014 CX5 GT, by contacting Mazda HF and having them issue a case number before making appointment with local Mazda dealer. After having a bitter experience and being told that, since my vehicle is barely 1600 miles over the 60K warranty, I needed to pay a $135.00 evaluation fee, plus other charges to change out the module (if it turned out that this would be the fix), that would result in an investment of over $400.00. All of this, simply, to have the ability of playing music files off my 16GB USB drive that index at the last file played when I turn off my vehicle.

Exploring options of either investing the $400.00 being charged, in a head unit that is compatible with the factory Bose system installed, or finding someone that has a used module in good condition that has the correct software (think salvaged vehicle) that can be swapped out with the older module.

Any other recommendations that any of you could offer? BTW, the case number process that Mazda HF handles to try and address genuine issues that Mazda owners are experiencing, are very often, ignored or become the laughing stock at Mazda dealerships. Aren't Mazda dealers, proven representatives of the Mazda Corporation?

Regards.

Yes, find another way to play music. I would not pay $400 to upgrade that system. If it really does bother you, buy another head system and take it to a shop to install. Those might actually cost less than $400 as well.

Back