Strut Replacement Options.

Lots of good advice in here.

I did jack up my back end and found that the springs could be turned by hand, that's insane to me knowing how little preload is on these.

As long as my coils are still good, I think that $200 KYB package that a member got on Amazon is my go-to for this. I could just do the rears in an afternoon. It sounds like I'll need to replace the strut mounts too.

Ordered some Tokico Blues yesterday, after reading about them I think they'll be to my liking.

While those are coming in the mail, I hear so many stories on this forum about clunking and how it's likely rubber bits in the shocks. I believe people are calling them bearings? Is this part of the upper mount, and if so, where's a good source for these rubber parts?

Thanks again, dudez.

You won't even need a spring compressor tool for the P5.

Just have a friend compress the spring with their hands while you unthread the nut form the damper shaft. It really is that simple unlike some other vehicles. This is how I removed the stock struts to then install the Tokico HP (blues) a while back.

You can expect to pay between $140-160 a piece for those. However, I purchased a package deal of Espelir Springs and Tokico HP struts from AutoRnD a long time ago. You'll want to cut the bump stops down or you can order some short ones from RacingBeat.

Great advice, I think people are taking this advice the wrong way and assuming its the same for all springs, not thinking of the physics involved here.

My friends strut mount in the rear just let go and the strut is pushing through the strut tower haha, do you guys think the other side is just as bad?

Yeah, replace the (top mount and bearing). They are not expensive so go ahead and replace them since you'll be in there doing the work anyway. $20ish/each for the rear mounts (no bearing) and $25ish/each for the front mounts which includes a bearing. I think my rear one just blew this weekend. I encountered an unexpected dip in the freeway going 65mph and the rear passenger tire went BZZT! It just barely rubbed the inside of the fender when the suspension compressed. I didn't think this was possible because I'm on 16" wheels with factory spec width and diameter tires but now I suspect the strut is blown and/or the top mount rubber that holds the shock's shaft. Gah! Check this out:

attachment.php

Ordered some Tokico Blues yesterday, after reading about them I think they'll be to my liking.

While those are coming in the mail, I hear so many stories on this forum about clunking and how it's likely rubber bits in the shocks. I believe people are calling them bearings? Is this part of the upper mount, and if so, where's a good source for these rubber parts?

Thanks again, dudez.

Yeah, replace the (top mount and bearing). They are not expensive so go ahead and replace them since you'll be in there doing the work anyway. $20ish/each for the rear mounts (no bearing) and $25ish/each for the front mounts which includes a bearing. I think my rear one just blew this weekend. I encountered an unexpected dip in the freeway going 65mph and the rear passenger tire went BZZT! It just barely rubbed the inside of the fender when the suspension compressed. I didn't think this was possible because I'm on 16" wheels with factory spec width and diameter tires but now I suspect the strut is blown and/or the top mount rubber that holds the shock's shaft. Gah! Check this out:

attachment.php

Yikes!

My tires will rub and make noise over heftier bumps and speed bumps so I decided it's time to do something about it, hah.

I'm looking locally at like AutoZone and Napa, and they want $60 a piece for strut mounts. Oof.

Wanted to give everyone an update:

I was able to replace my two rear shocks (after some hell of getting a bolt stuck in the knuckle and having to burn it to s*** to pop it out). I replaced with new shocks, new strut mounts, new strut bolts and new sway bar end links, I also did my sway bar bushings while I was back there. I did not replace the coils, I used the old stock ones.

I still bottom out and scrape over the smallest dips.

What the hell, man?

:(

Wanted to give everyone an update:

I was able to replace my two rear shocks (after some hell of getting a bolt stuck in the knuckle and having to burn it to s*** to pop it out). I replaced with new shocks, new strut mounts, new strut bolts and new sway bar end links, I also did my sway bar bushings while I was back there. I did not replace the coils, I used the old stock ones.

I still bottom out and scrape over the smallest dips.

What the hell, man?

:(

I don't know what to tell you. Now I'm dreading this because I'm faced with replacing my struts on my car, too. I don't understand why you're still rubbing with the stock springs. Perhaps they have sagged over the years or something heavy was hauled in there and weighed down the springs enough to make them sag. I never heard of springs sagging before but that might be the problem since you replaced all the other components. Bullocks, yo.

Back