Temperature Gauge 2016 CX-5

Stickshifter

:
2014 MazdaCX-5 Sport
Does anybody know if the 2016 CX-5 model has a coolant temperature gauge? I've never had a car without one, except an air cooled VW. The blue LED which comes on when the car is started on the current CX-5 tells me that the engine is cold when the car has nor been driven for a while. Duhhh. That is a fascinating piece of information. I wish it had gauge giving me info on the coolant temperature especially in hot weather in stop and go traffic or steep mountain driving. An idiot light is just not enough.

I feel your pain but, you eventually get used to not having a temp and alternator gauges. Ed

Does anybody know if the 2016 CX-5 model has a coolant temperature gauge? I've never had a car without one, except an air cooled VW. The blue LED which comes on when the car is started on the current CX-5 tells me that the engine is cold when the car has nor been driven for a while. Duhhh. That is a fascinating piece of information. I wish it had gauge giving me info on the coolant temperature especially in hot weather in stop and go traffic or steep mountain driving. An idiot light is just not enough.

The light is BLUE when engine is BELOW NORMAL TEMP. Do not run heater, REV or race the engine or subject to heavy load.

The light is OFF when engine is AT NORMAL TEMP. Drive normal.

The light is RED when engine is ABOVE NORMAL TEMP Ease engine load, turn on heater use caution, rest engine when appropriate.

The light is FLASHING RED when engine is OVERHEATED Pull over immediately to avoid damage.

For years people have overheated their cars because they never glanced down to examine where the temp needle was pointing. Will a FLASHING RED LIGHT help? (whistle)

You would likely have to use one the OBDII apps with your smartphone to see coolant temp.

If it is that large of a concern, you can always add a digital or mechanical gauge.

Easy to add with an inline radiator hose sending adapter.
28mm-Water-Temp-Sensor-Joint-Pipe-Adapter-Temperature-Gauge-Radiator-Hose-Blue.jpg

Factory water temp gauges were always dummy gauges anyways. By the time it reaches the far end, you car already overheated MILES ago.

I have always liked having gauges and found them useful so I added temperature and voltmeter to my CX-5 using a Scangauge E Just mount it, route the cable, and plug it into the OBD2 jack.

Sorry to disagree but, water temp gauges are NOT all dummy gauges.

With a genuine aftermarket water temp sensor and matching gauge, its accuracy and range makes factory gauges seem like dummy gauges.

Last edited:
With a genuine aftermarket water temp sensor and matching gauge, its accuracy and range makes factory gauges seem like dummy gauges.

Where was the aftermarket gauge installed?

I suspect that you observed the aftermarket gauge was moving up and down while the car's dashboard gauge never moved.

If installed on coolant hoses external to the engine, the aftermarket gauge will not show the right temperature. The temperature on such a gauge will fluctuate wildly every time the thermostat opens/closes.

Only in cases where the cooling capacity is overwhelmed (this almost never happen on a modern car.. unless you're driving stop and go in 110degree heat uphill while blasting the AC) will a factory temperature gauge move.

That small movement tells the driver that the cooling system is at capacity (thermostat likely open 100%) and the coolant is unable to cool the engine down to ideal operating temp. At this point, the driver can turn off the AC, or ease off the throttle to bring the temp back down.

An aftermarket gauge such as the one in this thread will swing from low to high every time the thermostat closes/open and will provide misleading information.

I think an OBDII scanner showing the ECT is the way to go for those who do not trust the red coolant light.

I think an OBDII scanner showing the ECT is the way to go for those who do not trust the red coolant light.

It is not a mater of trust. It is a mater of information. On below zero days it is nice to look at the gauge and know about how much longer I have before I have heat. More important, I pull a trailer. As I Zoom Zoom up and down mountain roads in PA I would like to be able to see if I am beginning to over heat before I get the red light so I can adjust my driving. Also the volt meter is very handy when things go wrong. As a example, on my previous car I closed the window after taking a toll ticket. It seemed slow so I checked the meter, sure enough low. OK Turn on the headlights, a bit lower, that probably means alternator. put it in neutral and let the engine go to idle No change, yup alternator. OK I am two hrs from home and two hrs from my customer. Turn things off until I see what things use a lot of power. Watch the gauge to see if the alternator kicks in. With worn brushes it might. It doesn't, OK the engine doesn't get shut off until I arrive at my destination. New destination. A place near my customer where I can buy a alternator or battery charger or another battery to get me home. That meter gave me the confidence to continue on to my meeting, get the job, get an alternator and drive home. No stopping, no tow truck, no change to my scheduled. Worth every penny.

Where was the aftermarket gauge installed?

I suspect that you observed the aftermarket gauge was moving up and down while the car's dashboard gauge never moved.

If installed on coolant hoses external to the engine, the aftermarket gauge will not show the right temperature. The temperature on such a gauge will fluctuate wildly every time the thermostat opens/closes.

Only in cases where the cooling capacity is overwhelmed (this almost never happen on a modern car.. unless you're driving stop and go in 110degree heat uphill while blasting the AC) will a factory temperature gauge move.

That small movement tells the driver that the cooling system is at capacity (thermostat likely open 100%) and the coolant is unable to cool the engine down to ideal operating temp. At this point, the driver can turn off the AC, or ease off the throttle to bring the temp back down.

An aftermarket gauge such as the one in this thread will swing from low to high every time the thermostat closes/open and will provide misleading information.

Using a coolant hose tap was just a reference to how easy it is to install a gauge. Obviously mounting the sending unit to the block will provide more accurate results. In either case, it is still more effective than a "dummy" light so that if something is wrong or is going wrong, you have much more notice before you border on catastrophic results.

Just like I would always recommend an oil pressure gauge for anybody that is running a modified motor. By the time the dummy light comes on, you could have already caused irreversible damage.

Oh and BTW, a lot of those OBDII scan gauges are no where near as accurate as a good quality gauge. Many also have lag issues as well. Not as important on temp, but a big deal on boosted engines.

Oh and BTW, a lot of those OBDII scan gauges are no where near as accurate as a good quality gauge. Many also have lag issues as well. Not as important on temp, but a big deal on boosted engines.

Scangauge Update Rates (selectable):
Normal = 1.6 seconds
Slow = 3.2 seconds
Fast = 0.8 seconds

As you say, good enough for temperature. (and volts)

The accuracy is as good as the CX-5s sensor. The gauge is just a digital readout so it has no accuracy or lack of accuracy of it's own.

Remember, car makers are building cars for the masses. If they can save $5 and the masses don't notice the difference, then it's a done deal. I wish our cars had gauges from the factory, but I can live with my scan gauge in my cx5.

Subaru used to offer a gauge pack as an assessory. That might be a nice addition for a manufacture who likes, to consider their vehicles as sporty. Ed

I like that idea, and your right, yrs ago you could by those packages for the "sporty" vehicles. How many do you think there'd really sell though? Most folks driving these vehicles see them as no more than a " point A to point B utilitarian SUVs.

I like that idea, and your right, yrs ago you could by those packages for the "sporty" vehicles. How many do you think there'd really sell though? Most folks driving these vehicles see them as no more than a " point A to point B utilitarian SUVs.

Now that everything is digital I would like the cars to be built with a LCD screen for the instruments, and another one for Infotainment system and then software to drag and drop what you want. (Arrange your own instruments. Make the tach smaller, drag in the gauges you want. Display what gear you are in. ETC.

Just a dream, but the cost would be low and it would allow things to be updated using software.

Back