Temperature Gauge 2016 CX-5

I would give up the entire tach for a temp gauge.

nope.. I love the mechanical tach needle. Even-tough the needle is probably driven by a digital input, I still prefer the physical display to a fancy graphic.
I definitely would not want the tiny, digital tach from the new mazda 3.

Fdew, your dreams can come true with an android head unit and an OBD dongle, or by hacking the infotainment to mirror your phone display.
Another thread on here shows some guy in Russia mirriring his I-Phone on his mazda 3 headunit.

I like that idea, and your right, yrs ago you could by those packages for the "sporty" vehicles. How many do you think there'd really sell though? Most folks driving these vehicles see them as no more than a " point A to point B utilitarian SUVs.
I agree. A lot of folks these days have no idea what the gauges are telling them. They only react when either the vehicle just quits, or, lots of smoke comes out from under the hood. Last Summer I was on the interstate and a late model BMW 5 Series went past me trailing a huge cloud of smoke. The driver seemed to be totally oblivious to it all. Wife and I wondered how far he was going to get before the BMW suffered an expensive death.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Subaru used to offer a gauge pack as an assessory. That might be a nice addition for a manufacture who likes, to consider their vehicles as sporty. Ed

Once upon a time even the tach would be a 'sporty' option - even though most vehicles were manual. Suggested shift points were printed on the speedometer.

Subaru used to offer a gauge pack as an assessory. That might be a nice addition for a manufacture who likes, to consider their vehicles as sporty. Ed

Yeah up to the 2007 MY they had a little triple pod that could be added to the dash to replace the clock pod.

Some higher end sportier vehicles still offer "gauge" information through the infotainment screen. New corvette, Viper, higher line Charger and Challenger for example. It really would only take a matter of programming an additional display for the screen. Nearly all radios on current vehicles are already tied into the CAN system to be able to pull at least some car info.

At least it's just the temp gauge that is being replaced by an indicator light. Was looking at the new BMW's and they don't have engine oil dip sticks anymore!!! That's right, there is no way to check your engine oil level, only a light that will tell you you have low engine oil. Stupid!!!!

At least it's just the temp gauge that is being replaced by an indicator light. Was looking at the new BMW's and they don't have engine oil dip sticks anymore!!! That's right, there is no way to check your engine oil level, only a light that will tell you you have low engine oil. Stupid!!!!

Some have a level meter that you can bring up on the information screen so you can check it. others have it on the inst panel. Not just a light but the level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBnBVAvHBA

If manufactures keep dumbing down their vehicles, they will be turning them into Appliances like a refrigerator. :))

Back