Replacing License Plate Bulbs on 2012- 2015 Mazda 5

Whitegrill5

:
Mazda 5 Sport
I wasn't sure if I should post in "Accessories & Appearance" or "Audio & Electronics"? This is on a 2013 Mazda 5.

I ordered a set of inexpensive LED Bulbs off eBay to replace Interior and License Plate Bulbs, everything went well until I got to the License Plate Bulbs. The owners manual says and shows to place a rag over a screwdriver and stick it in the Left side of the left light lens and push sideways and pry outward (shows to stick screwdriver in right hand side of right lens to do that side). I tried a few times and only managed to have the screw driver slip out of the rag making a small scratch in the underside of the plastic piece above the license plate. I used fairly considerable force but can not get the lens to pop off. I would think I should not have to use much pressure to do this? I even tried a paint lid opener thinking I could catch the bottom edge of the lens and pop it off but it doesn't seem to budge. I am afraid of breaking something.

In the next week or so I should be receiving a new radio and will be installing the backup camera and will have the back inside panel of the hatch off, I was wondering if there was an easier way of doing the license bulb change when that was apart?

Has anyone done this and have any suggestions or advice, this is about the only thing I have done that I have not seen a YouTube video for so far.
Thanks, Mark

The second gen shares a good amount of parts and procedures when it comes to maintenance and servicing the vehicle. For reference, the is what the first gen procedure was for replacing the license plate bulbs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-14-23-52-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-14-23-52-07.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 571
Back