Why is there oil in the driveway under my cx5???

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
92 & 16 Meyatas
Dummies at the stealership didn't tighten the drain plug after my first oil change. Drove 1000 miles to NC and had it parked for a week....drip drip. Called the dealer back in MA told he needs to have a talk with the tech! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426113116.314429.jpg

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the tech's fault. Drain plugs on CX-5s have a tendency to weep (mine and several others here) and I found a few drops on my garage floor once too. I do my own servicing and I'm due for a change. I'm prepared this time with Permatex Drain Plug Sealant.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the tech's fault. Drain plugs on CX-5s have a tendency to weep (mine and several others here) and I found a few drops on my garage floor once too. I do my own servicing and I'm due for a change. I'm prepared this time with Permatex Drain Plug Sealant.

is this really the case? I can understand human error, but a drain plug that won't seal? That seems pretty bad.

When my car was new it also leaked a small amount of oil, and I do it myself with a new crush washer every time. I've been doing this for 30 years on many cars and never had this happen before. It was a small amount, so I never really worried about it. For some reason it eventually stopped the small leak and now never has that problem.

Really? Of all things, we should be able to make a drain plug that doesn't leak? I have one of those quick drain plugs on the msm, love it! I guess I'll be getting one for the cx5 as well!

Update on "weepy" drain plug issue

The last time I checked to see if my drain plug was weeping again (third time) was about 1500 miles ago and sure enough it was. I have never bothered to torque the plug to the recommended setting because 1) in 50 years of changing oil I have NEVER had to do this before and have NEVER had one leak like this one has, including two Miatas. 2) I didn't have an 8mm hex socket to do it with and 3) I have always trusted my "wrist torque wrench". By that time though I had acquired the necessary 3/8" drive socket and torqued it to 30#, figuring if it continued to weep for another 1500 miles it was no big deal as it was a pretty slow leak. So here we are 1500 miles later and time for an oil change. When I dropped the plastic trap door there was no sign of a leak. So what that tells me is that, for whatever reason, the proper torque setting is more important than you would think on this thing. And BTW, when I torqued it mid-change, it felt like I had wrist-set it to maybe the low end of the recommended torque range (23# ft) and I had the wrench set at the top end (30#) to be sure. So needless to say, I'm going to continue to torque it to 30# from now on and in addition, use Permatex drain plug sealant to be extra sure the leak doesn't reappear. (2thumbs)

The last time I checked to see if my drain plug was weeping again (third time) was about 1500 miles ago and sure enough it was. I have never bothered to torque the plug to the recommended setting because 1) in 50 years of changing oil I have NEVER had to do this before and have NEVER had one leak like this one has, including two Miatas. 2) I didn't have an 8mm hex socket to do it with and 3) I have always trusted my "wrist torque wrench". By that time though I had acquired the necessary 3/8" drive socket and torqued it to 30#, figuring if it continued to weep for another 1500 miles it was no big deal as it was a pretty slow leak. So here we are 1500 miles later and time for an oil change. When I dropped the plastic trap door there was no sign of a leak. So what that tells me is that, for whatever reason, the proper torque setting is more important than you would think on this thing. And BTW, when I torqued it mid-change, it felt like I had wrist-set it to maybe the low end of the recommended torque range (23# ft) and I had the wrench set at the top end (30#) to be sure. So needless to say, I'm going to continue to torque it to 30# from now on and in addition, use Permatex drain plug sealant to be extra sure the leak doesn't reappear. (2thumbs)

I'll be changing my oil in about a month so will see if Fumoto has leaked at all. Not likely though... I need to rotate my tires tomorrow. I do that myself with two 12v scissor jacks. I was looking in FSM and I could use my floor jacks at a few certain spots but think I will stick with the scissors this time.

I need to rotate my tires tomorrow. I do that myself with two 12v scissor jacks. I was looking in FSM and I could use my floor jacks at a few certain spots but think I will stick with the scissors this time.
I just did that too. If you've never done it before, it's easiest to start with a front corner, put a jack stand under it and work you way around the back until you get back to the one you started with. I use a floor jack and two jack stands to get the job done.

I've been using these - drain plugs with rubber gasket. They seal very well. I get them at Autozoone - about 4 for 3.00
11118342.jpg

I'll be changing my oil in about a month so will see if Fumoto has leaked at all. Not likely though... I need to rotate my tires tomorrow. I do that myself with two 12v scissor jacks. I was looking in FSM and I could use my floor jacks at a few certain spots but think I will stick with the scissors this time.

While rotating tires today I could see in to filter & valve area and dry everywhere.

I have no leaks on my 2014 CX5. I follow directions and clean the surface of the pan where the new washer sits and tighten the plug to 25 LB/FT.

I have no leaks on my 2014 CX5. I follow directions and clean the surface of the pan where the new washer sits and tighten the plug to 25 LB/FT.

thats what i figured, you follow the maint directions and you should have no leaks!

thats what i figured, you follow the maint directions and you should have no leaks!
That may be, but this part seems unusually finicky for a simple drain plug. I believe it has to do with the ultra-thin sealing washer that is used on the SkyActiv pan. On two previous Miatas I used the same washer for well over 100k miles each, never worried about torque and never had a leak. Only difference was the washer was twice as thick as the one on this engine.

Heres a Youtube vid on installing a Fumoto valve on a CX-5.

Back