2016 CX-5 GT Navigation Updates!

Housing184

:
2016 CX-5 GT w/Technology Pkg
For all you 2016 CX-5 GT models owners! In order to check for a map update or add any features that may be available for your 2016 Mazda Connect Infotainment Navigation systems please follow these steps:

(1) Go to www.Mazda-na.NaviExtras.com

(2) First time users, register first

(3) After registration download "Mazda Toolbox"

(4) After Mazda Toolbox is downloaded, insert your Navigation SD card to check/update or backup your system

There is no need to download and install TomTom HOME program because it does NOT work with this system and you will NEVER be able to connect the SD card to the program!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Is the new Navi TomTom based? I didn't think so...I love my 2014.5 TomTom Navi BTW...the traffic updates are ALWAYS accurate and never lets me down...seriously...

Is the new Navi TomTom based? I didn't think so...I love my 2014.5 TomTom Navi BTW...the traffic updates are ALWAYS accurate and never lets me down...seriously...

No, it is not TomTom based. I had grown accustomed to mine in my 2013 CX-5; especially the live traffic, but the infotainment center and controls weren't good of course. The controls are much better in the 2016, but take getting used to. There are still some limitations, but the navigation is better and supposedly has live updates. I haven't seen them, but haven't used the navigation but three times in the month I've had the car - none of which have been in rush hour...

The new 2016 Navigation system is NAVTEQ, which supports Garmin units. Also, you can only do a update after 63 miles with the SD card installed in the 2016. It also supports 2d and 3d, (don't remember if the tom tom did)? But it's resolution looks a lot better visually, and it is a bigger 7".

So this is only for the new Nav System? After inserting the 2013 SD Card, (TomTom) the Mazda Toolbox doesn't recognize the card. Would I be able to plug the new 2016 SD Card (NAVTEQ) and it work with the old interface?

No, it would not work, entirely different software for NAVTEQ.

For all you 2016 CX-5 GT models owners! In order to check for a map update or add any features that may be available for your 2016 Mazda Connect Infotainment Navigation systems please follow these steps:

(1) Go to www.Mazda-na.NaviExtras.com

(2) First time users, register first

(3) After registration download "Mazda Toolbox"

(4) After Mazda Toolbox is downloaded, insert your Navigation SD card to check/update or backup your system

There is no need to download and install TomTom HOME program because it does NOT work with this system and you will NEVER be able to connect the SD card to the program!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Unfortunately I do not see any way to personalize this 2016 Mazda Connect Infotainment Navigation system! Had this system been TomTom based we may have been able to utilize the TomTom Home program where you can personalize many features! :(

Update!

Just removed my Navigation SD card and placed it
In my laptop and fired up Mazda Toolbox and noticed a large update! Have not reinstalled the card back into the vehicle as of yet! Just for your information (for 2016 owners only)

Last edited:
I just went to the site and it says the latest update is from 2014 Q2. Are you seeing an update with a different date? I think my '16 GT has the most recent update available (came factory installed).

I just went to the site and it says the latest update is from 2014 Q2. Are you seeing an update with a different date? I think my '16 GT has the most recent update available (came factory installed).

Just downloaded latest North America maps 2014 q2, took 1 hours 20 minutes using high speed internet. I also did a backup of my files --(total time does not include that),..which took about 10 minutes. If no updates are needed and you click update, it will just say device. My first update since purchase on Feb. 2015, there had been none available before. There was a update 1 download AND a update 2, one was 358 MB and two was 734MB in size.

I wasn't paying attention about which version I had before the update. But, looking through the backup files that it made prior to the update, I see that mine had 2013 Q4.

Just downloaded latest North America maps 2014 q2, took 1 hours 20 minutes using high speed internet. I also did a backup of my files --(total time does not include that),..which took about 10 minutes. If no updates are needed and you click update, it will just say device. My first update since purchase on Feb. 2015, there had been none available before. There was a update 1 download AND a update 2, one was 358 MB and two was 734MB in size.

+1

All the nav information SD cards, be it tom tom, or Navteq are tied to the cars VIN number, and 'Will Not' work in any other car. This according to Mazda service techs.

Last edited:
Just downloaded 2014Q2, will see how it goes.

I wonder if that's just maps update, or it might improve GPS reception too. In my case navigation often shows my car swimming in the nearby lakes.
Anyone experiences GPS reception issues on 2016 GT?

Back