Dealer overfilled oil

:
Pearl White AWD GT w/Tech
In the past I have not had any issues with the oil levels however today being a bit warmer I was able to check the level for the first time since my last change less than a month ago.

I am about 1/4 " above the top hole on the dipstick. I am going back on Friday for them to check out. Should I fear any long term damage as a result of this?

Not new. Dealer LOL.

Don't go there ever, except for warranty repairs because you have to.

I'd drain some off. Quarter inch is a bit much. Having too much is as bad as having too little. At some point the oil level is going to meet the crank and get churned up causing aeration which causes bubbles in the oil reducing lubrication. Trouble is no one knows where this level is at. Best to keep it between the lines. This is a common complaint with a lot of dealers and it's bad practice.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't worry about a 1/4". I would also ask: (a) was the car level when you checked it? (b) was the engine cold? Just checking... :)

I personally wouldn't worry about a 1/4". I would also ask: (a) was the car level when you checked it? (b) was the engine cold? Just checking... :)

I checked the level about 10 minutes after driving into work.

I have a vacuum pump that I can easily suck some of the oil out of but I want the dealer to document that they had overfilled it so in the event of some engine related issue I can have evidence that at one point in time the oil level was overfilled.

I have a vacuum pump that I can easily suck some of the oil out of but I want the dealer to document that they had overfilled it so in the event of some engine related issue I can have evidence that at one point in time the oil level was overfilled.
You want the dealership to actually document that they screwed up? I have a hard time believing that any dealership would willfully document any wrongdoing on their part.

More likely is that they document that you brought it in and it was overfilled (but not saying that they were responsible) - which would give Mazda an easy way to declare parts of your warranty void. Unless you can PROVE that it was overfilled when you accepted delivery, you might be better off just getting out some of the excess and leaving it alone.

Certainly a valid point, I have a good relationship with the service guy and I would hope they own up to us.

But you are right they can deny it was them ( which I would be very disappointed) and say I did it.

maybe I'll just suck it out myself and next time check the level when I get the oil change done.

You want the dealership to actually document that they screwed up? I have a hard time believing that any dealership would willfully document any wrongdoing on their part.

More likely is that they document that you brought it in and it was overfilled (but not saying that they were responsible) - which would give Mazda an easy way to declare parts of your warranty void. Unless you can PROVE that it was overfilled when you accepted delivery, you might be better off just getting out some of the excess and leaving it alone.

Over reacting and if you have a good relationship with the service "guy", you will have destroyed it with this attitude. Just a gentle reminder the next time you get the oil changed is more than sufficient. Ed

Don't feel bad. I checked the oil level when I got home from picking up my Mazda from the dealer and it was low. I had to add half a quart to get it between the marks.
Dealer service is all about getting it done as fast as possible and the customer is sometimes the one who pays for their mistakes.

I'd drain some off. Quarter inch is a bit much. Having too much is as bad as having too little. At some point the oil level is going to meet the crank and get churned up causing aeration which causes bubbles in the oil reducing lubrication. Trouble is no one knows where this level is at. Best to keep it between the lines. This is a common complaint with a lot of dealers and it's bad practice.

Additionally this froth that is churned up can burn once it hits the cylinder walls. That's why you will sometimes see smoke coming out of the exhaust when the oil is over filled. Burning oil is always a good way to fowl up o2 sensors and cats over time as well.

Well this past weekend I was able to siphon off about 1/2 quart of oil. I took a picture of it just as proof so that when I go back from my next oil change I can point that out to them. I don't think 1/2 quart will do too much damage but than again its this kind of stuff that makes me leery of having any kind of dealer service done.

Don't feel bad. I checked the oil level when I got home from picking up my Mazda from the dealer and it was low. I had to add half a quart to get it between the marks.
Dealer service is all about getting it done as fast as possible and the customer is sometimes the one who pays for their mistakes.

overfilling is totally OK for this motor. it seems to have an aggressive oil-pan design which gives the engine more space.

I accidentally overfilled by a quart (6.3 total) and the engine idled smoother. sounds exactly the same if not better.

Back