Oil on Spark Plug Threads? 05 Mazda3 2.3S

ZippyAa

:
Mazda, Mazda3 2.3S Auto
I was changing my spark plugs for the first time since I bought the car (3 Weeks ago) and there was oil on 3 of the plugs, on their threads.
I've been reading around and worst case scenario it's the piston rings but considering it's three of them I doubt it. My hope is that it's the spark plug tube seals or the PCV valve.
The real problem is that despite all of my google searches I can't find Spark plug tube seals that fit my car.
Does anyone know where to find the seals? Or perhaps know exactly what seals may fit?

Also if anyone has had a similar problem/solution I would appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

If the piston rings were going the oil would get burned up in the combustion chamber and you'd see blue smoke coming from the exhaust. If you're really concerned, a compression test or leak down test would confirm whether this is the case. A bad PCV would allow excess oil from the crankcase into the intake, which would have nothing to do with the spark plugs. It's most likely the tube seals like you're suspecting. They are usually sold along with the valve cover gasket.

Last edited:
Thanks the response. It's comforting knowing that it's probably not the rings.
I think where I may be confused is that I'm expecting the spark plug tube seals to be round circular ring shaped seals when in fact they may be smaller rectangular type gaskets? Like the ones in the picture below?
A8029393535ISH.JPG

I'm used to the o-ring type gaskets as well and I'm not familiar with the 2.3L, but I found this pic for a Focus:

maxresdefault.jpg

It seems like the tubes are just really oddly shaped.

Looks about right. Thanks for the clarification man.
Just bought this car and new to Mazdas. So if I'm understanding correctly the focus and mazda3 2.3 have the same engines? Ford?

Ford and Mazda were joined at the hip for a long time. I'm most familiar with Ford's 2.5L and 3L V6 Duratec, the latter of which was the debut engine for the Mazda 6 in the US. The Mazda B series for a while was pretty much just a rebranded Ford Ranger. I looked up the valve cover gasket for the 2005 M3 2.3L on Rock Auto, and looked at the cross reference chart which shows that motor was used in quite a few Ford and Mazda applications:

FORD ESCAPE (2005 - 2012)
FORD FOCUS (2004 - 2011)
FORD FUSION (2006 - 2012)
FORD RANGER (2004 - 2011)
FORD TRANSIT CONNECT (2010 - 2012)
LINCOLN MKZ (2011 - 2012)
MAZDA 3 (2004 - 2009)
MAZDA 5 (2006 - 2009)
MAZDA 6 (2003 - 2008)
MAZDA B2300 (2004 - 2010)
MAZDA MX-5 MIATA (2006 - 2009)
MAZDA TRIBUTE (2005 - 2008)
MERCURY MARINER (2005 - 2011)
MERCURY MILAN (2006 - 2011)

You just need to go buy a new valve cover gasket. The valve cover gasket kit includes the seals for the spark plug holes also. And to gain access to them, you have to pull the valve cover, so you would need the replacement valve cover gasket also. ;)

Ford and Mazda both built their own 4-cylinder engines for years, based on Mazda's design. As a Mazda, this is the MZR series, and within that the mid-size range (including this 2.3L) is the L engine. Starting with the SKYACTIV series, there is no longer a connection... but the 2.3 is pre-SKYACTIV, so many parts should match a Ford Duratec 2.3. I never had the valve cover off my Focus, so I don't know what the spark plug tube seals looked like.

Back