Fuel Injector Cleaning Service on 2014 CX-5 2.5L SkyActive-G

At 35,000 miles I decided to have this service done on my CX-5 and it did make the car more responsive and improved my highway mpg from 23 to 26 @80-90mph. The dealer said he has had to use cleaners overnight to remove carbon buildup from some CX-5's that had been getting engine lights due to excess carbon buildup around 30,000 miles.

At 35,000 miles I decided to have this service done on my CX-5 and it did make the car more responsive and improved my highway mpg from 23 to 26 @80-90mph. The dealer said he has had to use cleaners overnight to remove carbon buildup from some CX-5's that had been getting engine lights due to excess carbon buildup around 30,000 miles.
What specific "service" are you referring to?

From the article from AA1Car.com

GDI sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber so the fuel completely bypasses the intake valves. Consequently, detergents and cleaners that are added to gasoline to prevent intake valve deposits from forming in port fuel injection engines never have a chance to do their job in a GDI engine. The inlet side of the intake valves are never in direct contact with the fuel so the detergents cannot wash away the deposits. Because of this, fuel detergent additives that are either in gasoline from the refinery or are added to the fuel tank have almost no effect on preventing or removing intake valve deposits in GDI engines. The additives work in regular fuel injected engines, but not GDI engines.

There isn't really a way that any fuel injection cleaner can coat the intake valves to remove the carbon due to the way fuel is injected. So there is no real benefit from this service.

From AA1Car.com: The only other ways to clean the intake valves without removing the intake manifold
Get a bottle of liquid engine top cleaner, intake system cleaner or carburetor cleaner (such as Sea Foam), or a specialized product such as CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner or BG Gasoline Direct Injection Cleaner to clean the intake valves.

Which is a different service than the "fuel injection system clean"

Yesterday, instead of dropping to 5th to climb a 7% freeway grade I stayed in 6th. The car was pulling great at 80mph. I had to slow to 70 due to other cars, but I decided not to downshift as the engine fell out of its power-band. I was very close to flooring the throttle for a good 20 seconds just to keep the car from slowing, before taking mercy and dropping to 5th.

I guess you can say that my car got a good "Italian tune up".
Now my car runs noticeably smoother and feels more willing to rev. Maybe the ECU adjusted some parameters, or maybe the high cylinder temps burned off something in there.

This is not the first time that I have experienced something like this, the car loves to be driven hard on occasion.

49k on mine and I think this engine pulls harder than over before and I didn't go for the injector cleaner scam. My fuel mileage hasn't changed from the norm either.

Down the road, I think I'll try out one of those intake valve cleaner solutions that are put into the intake manifold. My daily commute is only 2 miles one way and the engine barely has any time to warm up. I'm pretty sure that the intake valves don't have enough time to reach the optimal 400*C temps to prevent the carbon build up.

Wow. You should NEVER put high octane fuel in a New Mazda with a Hemi like the CX-5. You are ruining your engine. Hey are designed to fire efficiently at the low octane. You've taken years off your engine.

I have used TECHRON COMPLETE SYSTEM CLEANER every 10,000 miles on my last 5 vehicles including my CX7 & CX5.. Never any issues. In addition; I try to use a top tier fuel most of the time. Ed

(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)

...couldn't find the troll emoticons...

Last edited:
(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)(breakn)
...couldn't find the troll emoticons...
(trolls) :)

Top Tier detergent gasoline ≠ high octane gasoline.
And it won't hurt to use higher octane premium gasoline in our high-compression SkyActiv-G engines, but it's only wasting money under normal driving environment.

Wow. You should NEVER put high octane fuel in a New Mazda with a Hemi like the CX-5. You are ruining your engine. Hey are designed to fire efficiently at the low octane. You've taken years off your engine.

Wow, someone doesn't know what they're talking about...

Having parted out my old engine, the piston is susceptible to carbon build up around the outside because of the "volcano" in the middle.. so while it may be relativley clean depending on droving style and fueling habits, theboutside can slowly accumate deposits. So you have extra weight building up on the piston, and around the outer parts of the valve. I used the fuel injector cleaner for the gas tank and the di intake cleaner you spray into the intake manifold. I use the breather port ( post maf).

Having parted out my old engine, the piston is susceptible to carbon build up around the outside because of the "volcano" in the middle.. so while it may be relativley clean depending on droving style and fueling habits, theboutside can slowly accumate deposits. So you have extra weight building up on the piston, and around the outer parts of the valve. I used the fuel injector cleaner for the gas tank and the di intake cleaner you spray into the intake manifold. I use the breather port ( post maf).
What kind of mileage was this tear down at?

What kind of mileage was this tear down at?

55000mi (engine unservicable)

Cyl 1. Now this has been sitting in the garage so there is crap in there. But the inside is representative; the outside probably not so much because cyl2 was bad.
SdNt8MI.jpg

Cyl 2 blown, Cyl3 i parted out cyl 4 is unrepresentative because of extra oil contamination from bad cyl

But you can tell where the flame front is even from the very bad oil accumulate

NwBfABK.jpg

Last edited:
55000mi (engine unservicable)

Cyl 1. Now this has been sitting in the garage so there is crap in there. But the inside is representative; the outside probably not so much because cyl2 was bad.
SdNt8MI.jpg

Cyl 2 blown, Cyl3 i parted out cyl 4 is unrepresentative because of extra oil contamination from bad cyl

But you can tell where the flame front is even from the very bad oil accumulate

NwBfABK.jpg
I've seen better, was the engine stock?

Back