Fuel Injector Cleaning Service on 2014 CX-5 2.5L SkyActive-G

sxa

'23 CX-9 CE, '14 CX-5 Touring FWD, '16 CX-3 GT FWD
I called to make my 25,000 mile service on my 2014 CX-5 Touring. The dealer asked me if I wanted to get their fuel injector service while i was there. In the past I have never actually done these cleaning services on my vehicles but in the past I owned used vehicles that I got used on the cheap and drove them to the ground so I didn't really care to spend a ton of money on them. I would occasionally use the fuel additives and never had any issues.

Now that I have a new vehicle that I plan on keeping for quite some time I want to keep it healthy. I have no problem with spending whatever it takes to keep my vehicle healthy but I also don't want to spend uncessary money on a service that the dealership is trying to sell me to make money. I am curious what other CX-5 owners do. Since the SkyActive is a fairly new engine and is designed slightly different than other gasoline injection engines I want to be careful with what I do.

I don't have details on what the dealership service entails, but I am curious what you guys and gals have done and what you suggest for maintaining the engine outside of the items in the owner's manual suggestions on maintenance.

I have used TECHRON COMPLETE SYSTEM CLEANER every 10,000 miles on my last 5 vehicles including my CX7 & CX5.. Never any issues. In addition; I try to use a top tier fuel most of the time. Ed

I always thought direct injection vehicles don't require any cleaners? Or like any of those "additives" cleaners..

This is a profit center for the dealer and you don't need it, especially with only 25K miles.

If you're using name brand gas you probably will never need it, or can just add some additive yourself every 100K miles or so. That's my opinion, anyway...

Look at the service schedule in your owners manual. Its not required or recommended by Mazda...

Thank you all for the feedback. I will pass on it and just use additive if I feel froggy. Just didn't know if others were getting it done if Mazda was doing something special.

When I took my 2015 CX-5 in for the 30,000 mile service I did not have them do the fuel injector service. My dealership recommends this OPTIONAL service every 25,000 miles, but it's not in the owner's manual and if you decline the service it will not affect your warranty in any way. I don't do anything additional to maintain the engine.

from Pg 95 of the manual.

Never add fuel system additives. Otherwise, the emission control system could be damaged. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer for details.

With direct injection and top tier gas you don't need it ever.

Thank you all for the feedback. I will pass on it and just use additive if I feel froggy. Just didn't know if others were getting it done if Mazda was doing something special.

If you start feeling froggy and drink it, will it make you feel peppy? [emoji23](Lol2)

Research BG products and FUEL INDUCTION service. Direct inject engines tend to build up carbon inside the engine & the fuel induction service is done while the vehicle is running. They run a cleaner through it, via a machine. Had mine done at 30,000. was $130 or so. I also had the transmission service done which is a bit higher, but the transmission changes even smoother. Now the guys that are saying you don't have to do anything are "technically" correct according to Mazda, but I have a good friend who is a certified ASE mechanics teacher and he says any of the BG products are top notch and their services. There are others such as Winns..I believe. They say the transmission has a lifetime fluid in it and doesn't have to be changed. However, they can change it.
Lifetime fluid can mean 60,000 miles..depends on who defines it.

Research BG products and FUEL INDUCTION service. Direct inject engines tend to build up carbon inside the engine & the fuel induction service is done while the vehicle is running. They run a cleaner through it, via a machine. Had mine done at 30,000. was $130 or so. I also had the transmission service done which is a bit higher, but the transmission changes even smoother. Now the guys that are saying you don't have to do anything are "technically" correct according to Mazda, but I have a good friend who is a certified ASE mechanics teacher and he says any of the BG products are top notch and their services. There are others such as Winns..I believe. They say the transmission has a lifetime fluid in it and doesn't have to be changed. However, they can change it.
Lifetime fluid can mean 60,000 miles..depends on who defines it.

Not gonna dispute the transmission fluid change. I do that on everything at 30K miles.

Last edited:
Direct injection engines, like the CX-5, do not benefit from injection cleaners. Its a waste of money. A few direct injection engines do have problems with buildup, but its hard deposits cleaners will not clear out. So far, the CX-5 has not been shown to have a problem with hard buildup of deposits.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake_valve_deposits_gdi_engines.htm

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/01/is-carbon-buildup-a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html

Yeah this is definitely a problem with some DI engines. My wife's 07 GTI began to get random miss fires at around 70k miles. Changed plugs, changed coil packs and it wouldn't solve the issue. Turns out the intake valves were severely gunked up with carbon build up. That 2.0 FSI engine is notorious for this problem. Just hop on any Audi/VW forum and there are plenty of threads on this. Early DI BMW engines had the same issues. Hopefully as the technology improves and advances this issue can resolved. Apparently most manufacturers have found a work around to help alleviate the problem. I guess only time and mileage will tell.

BG does make a kit for those motors that ties into the intake manifold to help clear out the carbon deposits, but my question is where do the large chunks end up? I doubt they all just burn off without a problem. Best solution is to get them cleaned out. Many shops now offer walnut blasting which safely removes all of the build up.

Direct injection engines, like the CX-5, do not benefit from injection cleaners. Its a waste of money.

I agree. Skyactiv G direct injected engines are engineered specifically to avoid this (known) problem with some earlier DI engines. There is zero evidence that Skyactiv engines build excessive deposits on the valves. But people still worry about it.

I agree. Skyactiv G direct injected engines are engineered specifically to avoid this (known) problem with some earlier DI engines. There is zero evidence that Skyactiv engines build excessive deposits on the valves. But people still worry about it.

Do you know where you read/heard that info? I've recently learned about this carbon build up on DI engines and want to learn more.

I've read that some companies have dual injection style (DI and Port/intake manifold) for their engines to help alleviate the problem by allowing fuel to pass over the intake valves to allow the detergents to minimize carbon build up. I haven't read anything about skyactiv engines employing the same method for fuel delivery.

Do you know where you read/heard that info? I've recently learned about this carbon build up on DI engines and want to learn more.

I've read that some companies have dual injection style (DI and Port/intake manifold) for their engines to help alleviate the problem by allowing fuel to pass over the intake valves to allow the detergents to minimize carbon build up. I haven't read anything about skyactiv engines employing the same method for fuel delivery.

Page 6 of this article talks about it. They state that Mazda keeps the intake valve temperature above 400C
link to start of article (a lot of good info in there)
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...l-Introducing-Mazdas-Skyactiv-Technology.aspx

link to page6 with relevant info:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...l-Introducing-Mazdas-Skyactiv-Technology.aspx

To me it looks like that the spray from injector should at least partially hit the rim of the intake valve when it's open. And it should be open when the injection occurs in Atkinson engine. So this, combined with open valve at the beginning of the compression stroke, high valve temperature, and possible valve rotation should keep deposits at bay. Time will tell, but so far it looks good.

Back