Home toe-in adjustment question

okvol

:
2014 Mazda 2 sport
I'm installing the Corksport adjustable shocks Monday. I've purchased the Jegs toe plates to be able to check the toe before and get it back to that setting. But, my question:

What is the recommended torque for the toe lock nuts?

I autocross and plan to check/change my toe before each race (maybe after if I want a different street setup).

BTW, I found a good hint about cheap strain relief platforms for the wheels: a trash bag with a little grease inside. Just be sure the floor is level and clean.

Hmmm..that's a tough one since most every tech I know,(been in the business for 2 decades), does not own an open ended torque wrench.

I use the the soft part of my palm in between my thumb and pointer finger. Tighten up the end with a standard length wrench ( not extended reach) and snug it up till you feel the wrench "ping" the tendon in your hand. Not sure if the spec, but it works out to hand tight plus 10 degrees.

Do your self a favor and make event toe adjustments easy. Set street toe to zero. At events put exactly 3 flats toe out in the right side tie rod end. The steering wheel will be offcenter but you'll have 3/16" toe out. After the event, back off the toe 3 flats. You'll know on the ride home if it's correct because the steering wheel will be straight again.

Or just set it to 1/8" out and be done. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on a variety of vehicles with 1/16-1/8" toe out and have never seen any increased tire wear on regular street tires. 3/16" is a bit much for the street though.

And just to give credit where it's due, I got this tip from Mr Hollis...right from his FB page.

Thank you.

In the past, I used a open end wrench, box end extension, and a fish scale to measure torque. Just measure the length from bolt center to the scale hook point, multiply that by the weight, and you have the torque. Yes, I had physics in college.

Back