P0302 then P0304...

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
So, back in January I got a P0302 (Cylinder #2 misfire)
- swapped passenger side spark plugs
- swapped ignition coils

Just got a P0304 (Cylinder #4 misfire)
Am I correct in my thinking that the driver's side coil pack is most likely the problem, or possibly the wire underneath the coil pack going to the #4 cylinder?

Which coil pack did you replace? The coils are commonly an issue for these cars. Also, why not replace all plugs simultaneously?

EGR is also usually responsible for miss-fire codes.

Which coil pack did you replace? The coils are commonly an issue for these cars. Also, why not replace all plugs simultaneously?

EGR is also usually responsible for miss-fire codes.

Re-read my original post....
I did not replace anything. I swapped (as in moved from one position to the other) coil packs and passenger side (#2 and #3) spark plugs when I got the P0302.
My reasoning was, since the code was constant, I could find out if the code either 'followed' the bad spark plug or 'followed' the bad coil.

Looks like it is following the coil since...
1) I first got a P0302 which could come from either spark plug #2 or the passenger side coil pack.
2) Now I am getting a P0304, so code is coming from the driver's side coil pack or spark plug #4. But since plug #4 was not throwing a code previously, it must be the coil pack.

Does that make sense?

Re-read my original post....
I did not replace anything. I swapped (as in moved from one position to the other) coil packs and passenger side (#2 and #3) spark plugs when I got the P0302.
My reasoning was, since the code was constant, I could find out if the code either 'followed' the bad spark plug or 'followed' the bad coil.

Looks like it is following the coil since...
1) I first got a P0302 which could come from either spark plug #2 or the passenger side coil pack.
2) Now I am getting a P0304, so code is coming from the driver's side coil pack or spark plug #4. But since plug #4 was not throwing a code previously, it must be the coil pack.

Does that make sense?

Welcome to automotive lingo, swapped can often be accepted as replaced.

If you have it figure out why are you asking?

My car was running perfectly and I put two brand new coils on it.

Think of it like an oil change... It's never a bad idea or a waste of money.

Troubleshoot things if the codes come back after.

Back