Brand flippin new--help!

:
2015 CX5
You guys! Hi! I'm a long time Subaru owner. Was looking at a third recently and started test driving other makes. The new Sub Cross Trek did NOT do it for me. Tried 2 Nissans (Rouge and Murano, Both were DOGS) Toyota Rav4, drove through the Honda lot (GROSS) even drove an Audi for a weekend, and last week I rented a brand new Ford. Alllll over the map.

Then. Mazda.

CX5.

SOLD. Omg, what a sweet car. Luxury, AWD, responsive, quick. Fun. Went through a MN snow just today. Mazda has no issues. I purchased last Saturday and picked up last night. Here's where it gets weird.

The car I test drove had the GT tech package minus GPS. It had 75 miles on it. perfect, except color. I wanted black. Told salesdude, he called another dealer, found the exact car. Black, with the GT tech. I picked up last night (in the dark) so excited that I overlooked the fact my brand new car has over 800 miles on it. Drove about 50 miles last night, then to work this morning.

At work, I reviewed paperwork. Yep--I signed for a car with 75 miles. Correct VIN, wrong OD reading.
My tech package is NOT the same. I have the sensor windsheild and BSM. I don't have the headlights that track. No GPS.
The detailing they did was terrible. Under the floor mats is salt crust and dirt. There are visible scuffs to the door jam.

I called sales manager, he invited me in tonight. Here's his offer:

Keep the car with the higher mileage. He will detail it, replace parts that are scuffed, and do a complete rustproofing and interior for free. The seats are leather so, this means the carpets are scotchguarded?
OR
He will find me a lower (under 200) mileage 2015, in black, with complete GT tech package, which will increase my payment by about $30/mo.

Buying a brand new car is a huge ordeal, so I'm stuck on my own need for perfection, versus being really practical. Free rustproofing sounds great, but close to 1k on a "brand new" car?? Yes, I know states have laws and cars can have miles and be sold as new as long as not held a title.

But I am really stuck on what to do...

What would you do??

Thanks for reading this sob story!

New car all day. My rationale is who knows what happened to that car in those 800 miles. Somebody could have been driving it like they stole it. Mazda says no special break in period is required but they do suggest that for the first 600 miles you avoid several things and going above 80 is one of them iirc. Fear of the unknown would scare me away alone.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to settle for less and you won't be happy until you get exactly what you want. Let the dealer swap it for a GT optioned the way you want it.

If you got Tech Package it should have GPS, Weird that they have a GT with Tech but no GPS, unless they popped off the "gps" module on the left side (the sd card reader).
Also tech package comes with xenon hid lights and they all come with auto leveling and AFS headlights. do you have that button on the left side? That would really be weird if it doesn't either especially with GT.
This GT with tech you bought is totally messed up.

I didn't read the story before; F- that. Your car seems cannibalized or something.
Touring (Mid-trim)
BSM Standard

GT( Top Trim, Touring +)
Auto Sensing Wiper Standard (sensor)
Leather Seat (Yes just one seat)

Tech Package - (Touring and GT)
AFS and GPS
Smart City Brake (also sensor on windshield)

That whole thing is fishy. I would check the build date on the door, since it's the wrong car what if it's a 2014?
Also 800 mi and the wear and tear on it seem like it wasn't taken care of by whomever drove it for that short period. I would be skeptical, you can look up a vin (you can find some online that will tell you at least the trim, but I would check with a different dealer, or mazda directly) and see the features the car was delivered with its trim etc.. this would settle any doubt as to what was added after the fact, but I wouldn't even mess with that. Those two missing features are expensive features. Seems like a trick to unload an undesirable vehicle with the incentives they offered for you to keep it.

The only thing "tech" from what you listed is *possibly* the smart city brake but seems doubtful. www.mazdausa.com Build a 2015 cx-5 you can see what you should have at the minimum with what packages you are supposed to have.

Last edited:
FYI rust proofing is a scam after the fact. This was popular in the 80's when dealers would try to sell rust proofing and under coating. Basically they by a $2.00 can of spray! Neil young was correct when he sang rust never sleeps. Do not keep the car as you bought a used one that was abused. You paid for the options you asked for so an extra $30 a month is BS.

Do not get the rustproofing. Bad stuff. It can destroy window regulators, and will promote rust if it is sprayed over salty dirt that was introduced into your car during the 800 miles of driving before you got it. Do not accept the upcharge for a new vehicle. If the dealer falsified the mileage statement on the bill of sale, you can take him to court over that. Work this to your advantage. Document everything.

I signed for my car and they said the odometer had 80 miles, it had 49 when I actually picked it up and I was pleasantly surprised. If it had been 81 miles, I would have refused. I would take option 3) walk away from that dealer and go to a different one. Seriously. You shouldn't have to pay $30/month more for what you signed for if you didn't actually get it.

That's a crazy story - I can understand overlooking at night - I had a huge scuff on my headlight that I overlooked before leaving the lot. It happens - I'm happy they are willing to take care of you. IMO I would jump on the new car deal - you are lucky they are offering that and should take advantage of it. The other deal with part replacement and rust proofing wouldn't sit well with me. 800 miles is a lot for a car being sold as new and that's not something they can fix. I also agree with others that something doesnt seem right missing options with the tech package too.

Why the extra $30/ month though? Does the new one have more options or something? I would try to negotiate that down to an even trade - especially since they sold you a car with 725 more miles then you signed for!

Good luck!

Last edited:
That's a crazy story - I can understand overlooking at night - I had a huge scuff on my headlight that I overlooked before leaving the lot. It happens - I'm happy they are willing to take care of you. IMO I would jump on the new car deal - you are lucky they are offering that and should take advantage of it. The other deal with part replacement and rust proofing wouldn't sit well with me. 800 miles is a lot for a car being sold as new and that's not something they can fix. I also agree with others that something doesnt seem right missing options with the tech package too.

Why the extra $30/ month though? Does the new one have more options or something? I would try to negotiate that down to an even trade - especially since they sold you a car with 725 more miles then you signed for!

Good luck!

It sounds like she is mixing up GT with and without tech package. There's not tech package without navi, so I'm guessing the one she test drove just had the SD card missing from the slot. Most dealers don't put them in until the final sale because people could walk up and steal the card.

It sounds like she got a regular GT without tech package, so they are adding the cost of the tech package to the new vehicle. I'm not sure howl long her payments are for, but the tech package is only $1425 MSRP. If she has a 5 year loan, $30 a month is $1,800 which is robbery. If I was her I would recheck the paperwork for the car and see if I paid the price for a GT with tech already. If so then the dealer is trying to screw her a second time by charging her for a package she already paid for.

I called sales manager, he invited me in tonight. Here's his offer:

Keep the car with the higher mileage. He will detail it, replace parts that are scuffed, and do a complete rustproofing and interior for free. The seats are leather so, this means the carpets are scotchguarded?
OR
He will find me a lower (under 200) mileage 2015, in black, with complete GT tech package, which will increase my payment by about $30/mo.

Buying a brand new car is a huge ordeal, so I'm stuck on my own need for perfection, versus being really practical. Free rustproofing sounds great, but close to 1k on a "brand new" car?? Yes, I know states have laws and cars can have miles and be sold as new as long as not held a title.

But I am really stuck on what to do...

What would you do??

Thanks for reading this sob story!

Do you have a consumer protection group where you are?
Do you have a period where you can return the vehicle and walk away.

If either of those things I would walkway altogether from this dealer.

Take pictures of everything and note everything you find "wrong".
Get a new car, but hold firm on not paying more. They have screwed you over.

In Canada we have a place to call if you have an issue with a dealer not resolving a problem to your satisfaction. In fact, the dealership is required to advise you of this.
Also in Canada, under 300km is still considered a new car. Over that, and they can't sell it as new.

Also, in Canada, the GT has Navi. You don't need the Tech Package. Is it not the same in the U.S.?

Good luck. I hate hearing stuff like this.

EDIT: If you have no protection agency and the dealer won't budge and you don't feel like taking them to court... then get the new one and pay the extra would be my vote.

Last edited:
It sounds like she is mixing up GT with and without tech package. There's not tech package without navi, so I'm guessing the one she test drove just had the SD card missing from the slot. Most dealers don't put them in until the final sale because people could walk up and steal the card.

It sounds like she got a regular GT without tech package, so they are adding the cost of the tech package to the new vehicle. I'm not sure howl long her payments are for, but the tech package is only $1425 MSRP. If she has a 5 year loan, $30 a month is $1,800 which is robbery. If I was her I would recheck the paperwork for the car and see if I paid the price for a GT with tech already. If so then the dealer is trying to screw her a second time by charging her for a package she already paid for.

Yeah - that could be the case. If she had a 4 year loan it would make more sense - $30 * 48 = $1,440.

I agree - if you take the new car make sure you triple check EVERYTHING.

What dealer (I am in MN too)?

Lack of Navi could be lack of the SD card as mentioned above. The lack of "headlights that track" could mean that the AFS is not switched on.

My biggest concern would be the mileage too, especially with the "crustiness" of the carpets that you describe. Means that it wasn't well cared for. I also agree that rustproofing it is worthless and probably does more harm than good. You can scotchguard the carpets yourself.

My 2.

Op, I'd return the car and tell them you lost trust in them & buy elsewhere. I know in Colorado you have like 48 hours on a car sale to return it & there is nothing they can do about it. Stealerships, if they ain't rippin' ya' off, they a they aren't trying.

Something's not right. That doesn't sound like the right options. Did they bring the car from Canada with different options or something? I think you should get the car you want. Good luck and let us know!

I've seen new cars with the plastic protective film on horizontal surfaces and DEALER plates "racing" around on highways as they deliver them between dealerships. I definitely wouldn't want a NEW vehicle with that many miles on it. Good luck..
Currently wanting a 2016 GT tech pkg.,soul red w/parchment interior.

how's the A/C?
how's the heat? When the control is set to heat "feet only",does hot air come out mostly to feet or does a lot of hot air come off windshield :( (like my 06 Subie OB?)
What size cargo can you get in it? Does the front passenger seat recline all the way back? I"m able to get a 30"x 80" door in my OB.

Back