Front license plate mount

adgjqetuo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
How do you guys mount the front license plate? Does it require a special bracket? Any pics?

I bought my car in PA but NJ requires the front plate.

No mount.. just drill 2 holes (3 holes in my case.. freaking dealer) to mount the license plate.

Just drill two holes in the front bumper. Or you can take it to the dealer and they will likely do it for free and probably put the plate on too with some sort of dealer license plate frame to protect the paint.

There are two circular indentations in the front bumper where you can drill the holes. If you look at the picture of my front plate you can get a general idea of where to drill the holes if you decide to do it yourself.
Front Plate2.png

My plate was installed by the dealer with 2 screws drilled directly into the bumper with no bracket. However, I applied some thin weather stripping to the back of the plate so it wouldn't scuff up the paint or generate noise as it vibrates. I did the same for the rear license plate, since that doesn't have a bracket either.

You didn't happen to buy from Faulkner in PA like I did, did you? :) same thing with mine. I drilled two small holes in the indents. Hated doing it but no choice.

You didn't happen to buy from Faulkner in PA like I did, did you? :) same thing with mine. I drilled two small holes in the indents. Hated doing it but no choice.

No, they told me to pay exact MSRP or get a '15 so I left :)

Wow did they? I mean I got it when the CX-5 first came out and they weren't budging much so I worked about $500 off MSRP talking back in 2012 when they first rolled off the boats lol I would have left as well. Paying MSRP, after it's been out for a while is nuts.

So my plates finally came in today - I drilled a small shallow hole in the dimple, just enough to pierce the plastic bumper and saw it felt hallow after doing so. I took a picture under the bumper and as you can see the piece that is behind the dimple is hallow in the middle? How is a screw supposed to hold the plate? I pushed a pipe cleaner through and you can see it goes all the way in.

Do I find a screw that's slightly larger then the hole but not large enough crack it? Seems like an awful design - why wouldn't they add something threaded behind there like how the rear plate mounts?

I was hoping to avoid Driving out to the dealer since the plates were shipped directly to my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,984
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 1,736
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 1,707
Last edited:
You can use something similar to a wood screw that will bite into that hollow tube. I wouldn't worry too much about cracking the plastic because it's relatively soft, as long as your screw isn't too big.

Machine screws aren't the right type for this application.

I had no idea there were those tubes behind the dimples, I thought the screws went straight into the plastic and only had a thin wall thickness to hold onto. The tubes definitely give more strength to hold the license plate.

I had a pack of hex-head 1" #12 self-tapping screws laying around. I put them on and it went on snug, but not tight. They still turned pretty easily with the wrench - although it was tight enough that I couldn't un-screw them by hand so I guess that should work.

I also used a small nylon spacer on the back to give a slight space between the paint and the bumper.

... I also used a small nylon spacer on the back to give a slight space between the paint and the bumper.
I saw the new car prep guy using Phillips pan head sheet metal screws just screws in their dealer plastic plate directly at front for all the new arrivals. I asked my sales person to make sure the prep guy doesn't do that to our new CX-5 when it comes in since we special ordered ours. As Texas is in the middle of eliminating yearly safety inspection window sticker and keeping only yearly registration sticker, the wait time to receive our new license plates for a new car is 4~8 weeks right now! I can have plenty of time to decide whether or not I should install the front license plate as our CX-5 is one of the vey few which has no screw holes at front in this area. Without plate the front looks a lot nicer but I may get a ticket sometime.

BTW, I saved those dealer's plastic plates and put it behind the license plate which will serve as an excellent gasket/buffer to protect the paint! I also saved factory plastic door edge protector and leave it on to prevent making the door ding to the car parked next to ours.

BTW, I saved those dealer's plastic plates and put it behind the license plate which will serve as an excellent gasket/buffer to protect the paint! I also saved factory plastic door edge protector and leave it on to prevent making the door ding to the car parked next to ours.

Yeah, I thought about that too but mine just arrived the day before I purchased it so it wasn't preped yet.

The dealer never had the chance to put their plastic plates on. I thought about asking for a couple during my first oil change.

When I drilled the holes I remember there being a threadable plastic opening behind the bumper? I used a fine threaded bolt (the ones you would find behind your TV in the mounting holes) also got some one sticky sided thick insulation foam to make a soft barrier around the plates.

Is it possible to request the deal to NOT install the front plate? I hate the look of front plates on these cars. Know if we had the plates like Europe or Australia has it wouldn't be so bad but the US plates are so big and boxy. I think most dealers install there name plate in it's place but I wonder if that just sticks on or if they actually drilling the holes to but on there sign?

Is it possible to request the deal to NOT install the front plate? I hate the look of front plates on these cars. Know if we had the plates like Europe or Australia has it wouldn't be so bad but the US plates are so big and boxy. I think most dealers install there name plate in it's place but I wonder if that just sticks on or if they actually drilling the holes to but on there sign?
Yeah dealers will screw in their name plate at front for new car preparation. When we ordered our 2016 CX-5, I mentioned that not to install the dealer name plate which will make two screw holes on front bumper. The sale manager barked and said that is the State law and they have to install the front license plate. But the salesman said he'll take care of it privately and told me that just don't request it openly. He also said when the new license plates arrive I just need to tell them I'll install the plates by myself and don't let the dealer do it.

I hate it when dealers install there own badging on the back of the cars too. I always just request that they don't do it or have them remove it prior to my purchase.

I tell a dealer they can put their name badge on car ONLY if they pay me to advertise for them. In all my life I never had one that agreed to that. Hence, no name badges on any of my cars.

Most of the dealers around here

I tell a dealer they can put their name badge on car ONLY if they pay me to advertise for them. In all my life I never had one that agreed to that. Hence, no name badges on any of my cars.

Most of the dealers around here stopped with the badges, in favor of a simple license plate frame...simple to remove and far less complaints from their customers.
I will keep this one for a while, until I locate a suitable replacement, At least it is not that tacky black plastic type!

Back