Are all steel rims created alike?

HCFL

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Blazing Yellow
Hey guys. I've got a 2003.5 MSP and I've been trying to get the correct rim/tire size for my car. I had an old 02' Protg that was written off so I decided to use those winter tires on this MSP. When I look online, they say the Protg calls for a 195/55/R15 but it looks God awful on my car. A quick tire calculation tells me that the 195/65/R15 is the closest size to the MSP's OEM tire size, 215/45/R17.

I've had a bit of bad luck lately with picking the right rims.
First set I bought were the wrong offset. I checked them over before I bought them and they seemed correct, but were actually off by 4mm when I went to put them on my car.
Second set I bought were 195/70/R14. I thought the rim size didn't matter, but I was so wrong. They didn't even fit over my brake caliper. I guess the regular Protg's have a smaller caliper because 14's would fit on my old Protg quite easily.

So finally to the question:

Will all steels rims be alike? If I buy one 15in steel rim will it be exactly the same as another 15in rim? If not, what changes between the sizes? Is there a 14in rim out that is able to fit over my MSP's brake caliper or will all 14in rims not fit?

Edit: Let me elaborate a little more: I'm looking at buying a set that came off a '11 Civic. It says 15x6 rim and 5x114.3mm bolt pattern. Which is the same as my MSP, so it should fit, right?

Last edited:
The bolt pattern is right. The hub bore might not be. I haven't tried anything smaller than 16" on a msp so I can't say they will clear your brakes for sure. 205/55R16 tires fill the wheel well nicely.

You can get aluminum 17" wheels for $90 each. Is that too much?

Hey guys. I've got a 2003.5 MSP and I've been trying to get the correct rim/tire size for my car. I had an old 02' Protg that was written off so I decided to use those winter tires on this MSP. When I look online, they say the Protg calls for a 195/55/R15 but it looks God awful on my car. A quick tire calculation tells me that the 195/65/R15 is the closest size to the MSP's OEM tire size, 215/45/R17.

I've had a bit of bad luck lately with picking the right rims.
First set I bought were the wrong offset. I checked them over before I bought them and they seemed correct, but were actually off by 4mm when I went to put them on my car.
Second set I bought were 195/70/R14. I thought the rim size didn't matter, but I was so wrong. They didn't even fit over my brake caliper. I guess the regular Protg's have a smaller caliper because 14's would fit on my old Protg quite easily.

So finally to the question:

Will all steels rims be alike? If I buy one 15in steel rim will it be exactly the same as another 15in rim? If not, what changes between the sizes? Is there a 14in rim out that is able to fit over my MSP's brake caliper or will all 14in rims not fit?

Edit: Let me elaborate a little more: I'm looking at buying a set that came off a '11 Civic. It says 15x6 rim and 5x114.3mm bolt pattern. Which is the same as my MSP, so it should fit, right?

IIRC you cannot fit a 15" wheel on the MSP due to the larger brakes no matter the offset. I have a P5 and run 14" steelies in winter and when I was looking to upgrade to the MSP brakes I found that I'd have to buy new wheels, etc and would have to go to a 16". For me it wasn't worth it.

You can get aluminum 17" wheels for $90 each. Is that too much?

Not a bad price for 17's but the OP wants to use these for winter. Prices for 16" snow tires are much cheaper than 17" plus you get the added benefit of running a skinnier tire with a taller sidewall.

Good tips but I found the answer. 14in rims won't fit on the MSP, but the universal 15in rims for a MSP is the same for an '11 Civic. So, in short I bought them and they fit like a dream. Finally have the correct size for my car! From 195/55/15 to a 195/65/15, humongous difference.

Back