Costco gas

:
Mazda CX-5 2015 FWD GT
Hi,

I just filled up a tank full of gas at Costco. Instantly noticed that:
- car was showing increased MPG by about 2mpg
- engine sounds harsh, looks as if engine is holding to a lower gear longer or something similar as engine noise has increased

Has anyone else experienced this? My car is less than 2 months old with <1000miles on it. Before Costco I filled up at Shell.

Thanks.

Costco is "top tier" gas that I've used almost exclusively for 20 years or so with nary a problem!

Even up here in Alberta, Costco has a good rep for good fuel. Don't use it exclusively, but have filled up the car/truck over the years and never noticed any issues.

I don't think that the gas increased your mileage. If it were that simply everyone would be using it. Costco and Shell are both sell top tier gas so there's not likely to be that much of a difference. 2 MPG could easily be explained by slightly different driving style, terrain, etc.

I occasionally experience a similar issue where the engine is noticeably less powerful/responsive after fueling up, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the gas station than the brand. I usually use Exxon gas because it is the most convenient and I have never had any issues with the quality. I also frequently use Speedway, Shell, Meijer, Phillips 66, Marathon, and Sunoco gas with no issues, but I have had performance issues after fueling up at some (not all) Kroger, BP, Sheetz, and Circle K stations. Additionally, the dealership recommends CX-5 owners have a fuel induction service every 25,000 miles, but I have not had this done.

Update from my side. All the observations faded away after a couple of days and I am back to lower mileage with usual sound (hope that I have not accustomed to the raised levels :p). This thread can official be closed now.

I've noticed when I wax my car it gets better mileage ,sounds better, rides quieter and gets more smiles from young ladies :)

Your results may vary!

Back