electric parking brake

zoomtruck

:
Mazda CX-5 GS
I have a 2015 CX-5 AWD and yesterday I was @ a Mazda dealer and they have a 2016 CX-5 in the showroom and I was checking the differences and found that there is no lever for the parking brake, now is a button located @ the console and besides there is a knob that controls the radio/navigation etc.
What was wrong with the old school parking brake with cables?

hmm... might trade the girlfriend's '15 just for that feature lol. i use her cx-5 to get groceries some nights and she always wakes me up the morning after to release the parking brakes for her. i yank it pretty good when i apply it and she's too wimpy to release it.

I test drove two 2016 CX-5 GT AWD at my dealers, and neither of them had the parking brake engaged! :) P.S. I bought one of them --but don't use a parking brake.

I test drove two 2016 CX-5 GT AWD at my dealers, and neither of them had the parking brake engaged! :) P.S. I bought one of them --but don't use a parking brake.

IMO: I use my parking brakes all the time but easier on the transmission when parking on hills to engage it (aside from the safety factory).

The only reason why companies are swaying toward electronic parking brake is to free up center console space. There was simply no way to retain the manual e/p-brake, dual cupholders, lever shifter, while adding the MazdaConnect controls and a more ergonomic armrest. Same applies for other manufacturers like Audi, MB, etc.

With that said, I still prefer my manual e-brakes.

The only reason why companies are swaying toward electronic parking brake is to free up center console space. There was simply no way to retain the manual e/p-brake, dual cupholders, lever shifter, while adding the MazdaConnect controls and a more ergonomic armrest. Same applies for other manufacturers like Audi, MB, etc.

With that said, I still prefer my manual e-brakes.

I know these have been out for a number of years but curious about long term reliability and how to free the thing up when it fails or gets frozen.

There are cases where the EPB failed to disengage in early model Audi's and VW's. Some for Hyundai Genesis' as well. The cases are very rare though.

I think manufacturers recognize that a large portion of consumers rarely use their parking brake (which is a disappointment), and much rather free up console space for the new fiend for technology, storage, beverage, and styling.

The only realistic issue is engagement and disengagement of the parking brake with a dead battery. I'm not sure if manufacturers started integrating a manual override. This is my biggest gripe as I would like to have the freedom to position my vehicle even with a dead battery.

None the less, an EPB wouldn't be a concern for me to make the call on purchasing a daily driver. Especially if it allows for better ergonomics and technology. For a weekender/track car, I would hate to have an EPB. E.G. the C7 Corvette Z06.

Last edited:
The only realistic issue is engagement and disengagement of the parking brake with a dead battery. I'm not sure if manufacturers started integrating a manual override. This is my biggest gripe as I would like to have the freedom to position my vehicle even with a dead battery.

None the less, an EPB wouldn't be a concern for me to make the call on purchasing a daily driver. Especially if it allows for better ergonomics and technology. For a weekender/track car, I would hate to have an EPB. E.G. the C7 Corvette Z06.

Most of the modern car gadgets don't really give me concern since I have several spare vehicles in case of failure. I know not everyone does this though. I am an engineer type so would like to see the FSM on the '16 to know more about how this system works. Hopefully it is located in an area not exposed to the elements.

I am an engineer by profession as well. Unfortunately for cars of this type, its hard to find FSM or any in depth technical documents. We are lucky enough to have some TSB's and FSM's for the Series 1 CX-5's when I a bit of a hook up from someone working with Mazda.

I hope to see the 2016's tech docs surface soon. I'm interested in seeing the differences between Series 1 & 2 components. I plan on swapping a few parts into my 2013 if they're possible for plug & play.

Will the EPB let you engage it while the car is moving, or is it "smart"? Though i have yet to need to actually use the parking brake in an emergency braking condition, i have always liked the fact that it was an option to have a mechanical connection to some portion of the brakes as either the driver or passenger.
My neighbors son is about to get his drivers license and needs to take the driving portion of the test in a car with a physical hand brake.

Last edited:
I was going to say "Why don't you not put the brake on so hard?" or even "Why use the parking brake at all?" but they I saw your address, and I assume you're parking on a hill.

Seems to be 'disengaged' when the car is moving....I hit it once by accident...Oops thought I was hitting the sport mode instead. :(

I know people aren't going to want to believe it, but electronic parking brakes are cheaper and more reliable than mechanical units. OEMs have wanted to use them for years, but it's only recently that US DOT has changed their regulations to allow them.

Cheaper and more reliable than manual mechanical units? Why do you say that?

I've never seen the internal cost numbers from an OEM, but consider the sourcing and installation cost of the heavy steel actuator cable and its required mounting bracketry in a mechanical system, versus the cost of a couple of solenoids and an extra lead on the wiring harness that is going to the rear wheels, anyway.

I'm not just pulling this out of my ass - I actually got the story straight from a chassis engineer at a major OEM. There are some things that are just cheaper and easier with electronics, and parking brakes are one of them.

Cheaper and more reliable than manual mechanical units? Why do you say that?

I did some research. It turns out that by going electric they can use a lot of the same components as the traction control system, and the Drive Away Assist.
That makes it cheaper. I don't know about more reliable.

I wonder if there is a emergency release mechanism somewhere underneath if battery was dead and you could get a timely jump?

Back